Some stuff from Bay RE: Optimus Prime

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Dark_Convoy, Jul 13, 2006.

1. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

2. prime is a legend

prime is a legend Hooch is crazy.

Sweet find I found it interesting to read!!

3. chocula78

chocula78 Satellite Systems Engr TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Yay! Red optimus! Their reasons for going with the extended Tractor are very reasonable. They are actually doing all the physics work too to make this relistic, so I can understand this has got to be tough.

The fact the designers are all fans of the show is very reassuring. I hope Bay isn't lying to us or I'll burn his house down.

NO FULL VIEW OF A TF UNTIL THE MOVIE???!!!! CRAP!!! I doubt they can pull that off, but good luck. What are the trailers gonna be like then? You have to show SOMETHING to build hype, right?

4. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Interesting stuff...

5. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yay... what an interesting little read...

6. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    I'll believe it when BAY types it. Nelson hasn't exactly been one of the more reliable sources.

7. JoshBot

JoshBot Well-Known Member

Yeah, 'cause that worked SO well for the '98 Godzilla remake.

8. Onslaught Phase 2

Onslaught Phase 2 Know my name and fear it!

Wow, I'm surprised at how many people are bitching and bitching about the flames. I mean, I think after ten posts they've made their point about their hatred. the guy has constantly said wait and see, but they continue to complain about it. I don't get it. Maybe I just have more trust in people, especially after htey continue to try to reassure the public in the face of such relentless negativity.

I dunno, I just want to see the movie and hope other people like it. It'll be different, but its TFs on the big screen, and that will rock. I hope its another good Bay movie. And Stephen Spielberg is a producer, and he probably doesn't want to associate with bad films (at least I've liked all his films, so that's good for me.)

*sigh*

9. timshinn73

timshinn73 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I don't totally buy the "Prime must be 50 feet tall" angle.

Is it me, or were the Autobots for the most part portrayed as scientists (doctors, mechanics, etc) and lay-bots who were thrown into this conflict? Prime included.

What I mean is, one of the reasons we cheered Prime and the Autobots on was the fact they were underdogs. It seems for storytelling purposes, having smaller Autobots would be a very strong visual compared to Megatron and all the Decepticon weapons of war (tapedecks aside, of course).

The Autobots weren't great at flying, weren't for the most part as fast as the Decepticons, etc. But they were smart. And they had a desire to do the right thing. They were brave enough to stand up against huge odds. That's why they were brave. Some of the flying and so forth was balanced out a bit later on, but at the heart of the conflict are hero underdogs against very powerful villians bent on domination.

So, in the end for me, a bigger Prime isn't necessarily a better one.

P.S.
    Saw a flat nose truck with trailer today. White with grean stripe. Didn't matter. I instantly thought of Prime. Not sure that would happen every time I see a long nose truck.

10. TwentyFourth

TwentyFourth Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    :rock  :rock  :rock 

11. Star Cracker

Star Cracker Well-Known Member

Flames not having anything to do with Prime!? Well what about RODIMUS PRIME? :p  *ducks and runs*

I dunno, I'd like to see him transform into G2 Laser Prime in G1 colors. I could tolerate that as it's my favorite version of Prime.

12. NIDARAM12

NIDARAM12 Robot art guy

News Credits:
    What many consider Bay's lowest film, Even Pearl Harbor, while being a sappy teenage drama love story instead of the "Saving Private Ryan in Hawaii" i thought we were going to get from the trailer, still had its moments. It was really popular and at least entertaining if you had a date or something. And the Island, while being a commercial flop, was really a great movie.

I don't see all the bitching about the people making this movie. Bays films do have some eye-rolling sequences (like any) but they are all solid films and like Don Murphy said we should be so LUCKY to have a big talent like him on this. I too feel optimistic that this movie is gonna rock I just wish more people would chill out and realize that we're in pretty good hands.

Of course it might suck but it seems like theres just too much money and effort involved for it to totally turn into a turd.

13. peteynorth

peteynorth TFW2005 Supporter

Orion Pax included perhaps, but Alpha Trion built Optimus Prime to be a war machine. In general the Decepticons were physically superior to the Autobots, but there were exceptions, and Prime was most notable of these. In terms of stature, Prime and Megs were equal, in terms of physique, Prime was Schwarzenegger to Megatron's Stallone. And on nearly every occasion when they had an unarmed brawl, Prime proved to be the physically more dominant specimen, even though he constantly had the kid gloves on and let his boy scout ethics get him in trouble.

So in the movie I do want him to be optic to optic with Megatron. Heck, some early concerns once the 'no mass shifting' law was established was how were Prime and the Autobots going to look against 'Cons who transformed into 70+ foot jets and other large military vehicles. Now it's no longer much of a concern, a large Peterbilt with a sleeper can get close to 50', and an F-22 and Cybertronian jet (it's fictional, they can make it any size they want) can condense to less than 50'.

14. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

I am really sad to read that we won't see a full robot pick until the movie premiers.

To all the fans that are thinking this is not possible, the tripods from Speilbergs' War of the Worlds were kept secret until the movie hit the screen...

15. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Hasbro factory leaks. Your plan will fail, Bay.

16. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

We might see crappy toy renditions of realistic movie transformers, but IF we get pictures of toys, they aren't going to be...uh, how should I say this... show accurate:thumb 

17. timshinn73

timshinn73 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Prime is a natural-built leader. I knew he was obviously much stronger than the other Autobots. I hope the movie maintains most of Prime's ethics. Again, that's something that makes him different. I have a feeling this may get lost in the explosions, too. I really hope not.

You're right he and Megatron should be optic to optic. I guess I see a lot of the problems the production is having with just picking the right characters (Soundwave most notably rumored about) is their "no mass shifting" law. Is there some reason a 4 million year plus race of talking, living, emoting robots couldn't have developed mass shifting in the movie's universe? If Bay and company can't get their imaginations around that (very cool) concept, then we may be in for a Godzilla-sized mess. Bumblebee seems to be proving some of the "bigger is better" folks wrong. Personally, I think a camero TF is awesome. Just not as Bumblebee. Cliffjumper, maybe. Or almost any of the other car- mode Autobots. It's a muscle car, for God's sake. If they couldn't get a Bug, that's fine. Just use some other compact car. A Cooper Mini. Anything.

All that aside, I hope the movie turns out OK and I don't want to turn into one of those folks who bitches about every little scrap of info that comes out. I know it's hard to please everyone with a movie with so much potential, but Mistake #1 is trying to.

It's fun to swap ideas about the rumors and what little info is leaking out. Thanks for your thoughts, peteynorth!

18. Akumaxv

Akumaxv Well-Known Member

Wiat, I guess that was Prime then?

On one hand, I don't mind the long nose truck. I actually like Laser Prime and RID Scourge. I think they are just great, poseable and cool looking figures.

But WTH is with the paint job. Sorry, but Prime is not some brash, young, flmboyant character. He's never been. Hell even Prmal wasn't.

Sorry, but these clowns are are changing things "just because they can", and I think it's BS. Spiderman still looked like Spiderman, organic web shooter or not. Prime (Optimus) with flames? I guess they're going for the FastandFurios crowd, because we know what cinematic masterpieces they were.

Hate to be such a prick, but you'd think they would just leave SOME things alone.

I like some of the changes. A tape deck, a handgun, and a tiny Jaguar would have been stupid. It looked great and fun in a cartoon in '84 and when were 10, but not in a live action movie.

However, changing, or rather, dressing up one of, if not THE most recognizable characters of the TF univers is just an idiotic idea, and reeks of arrogance on the part of makers of this movie.

19. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    You people need to relax until something official comes out.

20. NIDARAM12

NIDARAM12 Robot art guy

News Credits:
    How you people KNOW that Prime is going to be some brash, crazy Hotshot ripoff just because he has flames? Its just paint.