Some recommendations please

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Soulmaster, May 8, 2011.

1. Soulmaster

Soulmaster Well-Known Member

I want to know which toys from Armada/Energon/Cybertron are the best articulated, or just with a nice transformation
    until now I just like Energon Bulkhead and Cybertron Sideways, but I don't know if they're well articulated and stuff, so, there's any toy you can suggest me?

2. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Armada Deluxe Optimus Prime
    Energon Mirage/Dreadwing
    Cybertron Leader Megatron/Galvatron
    Energon Landmine/Landquake
    Cybertron Scrapmetal
    Energon Shockblast
    Energon Starscream

I don't have all of the molds so I may be missing some better choices. Those are the ones that come to mind for me.

3. jerryitus

jerryitus Transformer vacuum

Energon:
    Shockblast
    Ironhide (for articulation, as a robot he is surprisingly awesome)
    Landmine
    Scorponok (awesomeness)

Cybertron:
    LEADER PRIME!!!!!!!!
    Cybertron Hotshot (for transformation)
    Cyb Def Force Hotshot (all around)

4. Soulmaster

Soulmaster Well-Known Member

thanks guys, I was trying to see something about Shockblast too, and Cyb. Leaders Prime and Galvatron looks nice, but I don't think I could get them for a nice price, at least no in my country :p  any other suggestions?

5. Ellamin

Ellamin Moonbeam Dreamer

News Credits:
    Get sideways! Energon tow line's good.

6. Stryker055

Stryker055 Josh Boyfriend

Armada has its share of good, decently-articulated molds: Deluxe Optimus Prime, Hoist, and Thrust have very good articulation, considering the era. Others like Demolisher, Starscream, Sideways, and Scavenger are just plain cool.

As for Energon, pretty much every toy that doesn't have to combine is a good one, with the exception of Inferno/Roadblock and Tow-Line. They're still very well-articulated and neat. Landmine/Landquake is one of my favorite molds of all time.

Cybertron has pretty much everything. The Leaders are especially good toys (Galvatron is probably the best over Megs, due to balanced color scheme). Hot Shot, Cybertron Defense Scattorshot, Scrapmetal, and Voyager Starscream are great toys.

7. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

Armada: Tidal Wave, Demolishor, Starscream, Red Alert, Megatron/Galvatron. Also, many of the Mini-Cons are great - particularly the ones that turn into weapons - including the ones that combine (Requiem Blaster, Star Saber, Skyboom Shield) and the ones that turn into guns (Emergency Team, Air Military Team). The Destruction Team is obligatory if you get Cyclonus. The Sea Team and Air Military Team are obligatory if you get Tidal wave. The Land Military team is likewise obligatory for Megatron/Galvatron. The mix-and-match aspect to the Mini-Cons - and the themes, and that they were mostly faction-less - was one of the best things Armada brought to the table. Oh, and Unicron! Definitely Unicron.

Energon: I definitely agree with others re: Scorponok and Landmine. Also, I would add that the Omnibots and Terrorcons are great. They have translucent Energon weapons that other toys can use. I can't recommend Ironhide, though. Omega Supreme - yes. Rodimus - maybe. Sharkticon - yes. Shockblast, Slugslinger, Snowcat, too. I should add that a lot of these fit in with Classics (aka CHUG) pretty well. Oh, and the Energon Saber (Armada Star Saber remold) is excellent - and I think superior to the Armada versions.

Cybertron: It might be easier to say what *not* to bother with...I loved Cybertron to death. I originally started naming ones you should consider, but the list went on way too long. To some degree it's going to depend on your preferences...cars versus robotic beasts versus construction vehicles. A lot of these fit in well with Energon toys, too. And the Cybertron cartoon was really great...maybe not as good as Animated, but better than Armada or Energon (the latter was almost unwatchable, IMO).

So I'm just going to go with absolute must-have toys: The Cybertron Defense Force (Cybertron Defense Hot Shot, Cybertron Defense Red Alert, and Cybertron Defense Scattorshot); Optimus Prime; Vector Prime; Scourge; Megatron/Galvatron; Ransack & Crumplezone; Primus; Metroplex. Maybe throw in Hot Shot and Override. But for the most part, with Cybertron you can't go wrong.

8. Minnemagnus

Minnemagnus Armada Starscream!

Armada:
    -Red Alert has good articulation for the time and has a pretty good transformation
    -Starsream/Thundercracker is just awesome. He is not very articulate but his transformation is pretty fun. Also, if you don't care which one pick Thundercracker because he will be cheaper and he's just as cool.
    -Jetfire because I love him so much. I don't know why, but I do. Good enough articulation and transformation, but he's just an awesome figure.
    -Megatron is cool. Not the highest recommendation because of articulation, but both of his modes look great
    Energon:
    -Scorponok is fantastic. I can't say much since I don't have him anymore, but I remember him being awesome

I still own all thes figures except for Scorponok and I love all of them!

Edit/Update:
    -Energon Landmine and his description matches Scorponok's. Unfortunately all my Energon was sold at a garage sale I wasn't at.
    -Armada Unicron is epic. I have never owned him, but I remember my friend owning him.

9. bdougwrx

bdougwrx Well-Known Member

Agreed.

Scorponok and Landmine are the only Energon figures I own and recommend them both.

Cybertron Wing Saber (or Wingblade repaint) is a must with OP, their combined mode is AWESOME!

Cybertron Megatron/Galvatron, I prefer Megs but either version is great.

I would also recommend getting the GC-03 Korean Vector Prime version over the US release as the clear blue pieces (sword and wings) are made from stronger plastic. You can find him on ebay for around $35 shipped.

Cybertron Scourge is a favorite. His transformation is simple, but he does have a commanding presence on the shelf.

Cybertron Defense Scattorshot is another favorite. He is armed to the teeth.

Cybertron soundwave is OK, but Laserbeak is great.

Cybertron Supreme Starscream. Yeah, he's just a blown up voyager figure, but i love SS and he looks great with Unicron and Primus.

Cybertron Primus. It's Primus...gotta have. Get the original or the 2010 repaint, your choice.

Same with Armada Unicron...gotta have. The 2010 repaint is really nice, but either is good.

That's all I can think of right now as most my figures are packed away.

10. Ellamin

Ellamin Moonbeam Dreamer

News Credits:
    I'd advise you to watch cybertron, or galaxy force with the approach of "armada and energon took place, then in the next universe over, unicron's destruction caused the grand black hole, as unicron's spark traveled to "Planet X" for his new body, built by that cluster's Megatronus." Then decide on the toys you want, and if ever you need instructions, watch the stock footage transformations.

Vector prime's "wing struts" have hinges, for a more show accurate, capelike pose.

11. seali_me

seali_me Buhawi Gabay-Tala

Prime's in every line. yes even armada's pretty awesome. its always nice to have a prime collection in every collection. then you'd think about megatron's afterwards, which btw are pretty awesome as well.
    - armada unicron and cybertron primus.

just for his articulation, cyb metroplex. i know that alt mode transformation sucks but the robot mode is pretty fun. i missed him. i chopped him up last week.

12. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    Armada:
    Unicron - you mentioned that some toys might be hard to find at a good price in your country. This might be one of them, but if you get the chance, he is really great
    Demolishor - he doesn't have many points of articulation, but he can still pull off some cool poses. He's got a nice look to him
    Thrust - probably the most fairly articulated Armada toy, but not really that impressive. He's a maybe

Energon:
    Galvatron - he is not super articulate, but he's a really cool toy. If you're only looking for highly poseable toys and you can't find this guy for a good price, then you might not wanna bother. But he's still impressive
    Dreadwing (or Mirage, but Dreadwing looks cooler) - Everything about this guy is cool. Well, except maybe the kibble. But he's one of the best things to come from Energon. If you liked Bulkhead, you'll like him
    Shockblast - Shockblast is poseable, but his left arm can make him top heavy (though he does have big feet to balance). He is really cool, but you'll have to decide whether or not you can get over the arm
    Landmine - He's just as good as everyone who mentioned him said.
    Starscream, Sharkticon, Snow Cat, Slugslinger, various basic-class guys - These guys are pretty cool but I would put them in the "maybe" pile. Slugslinger especially is a floppy pain to play with. Sharkticon is probably the best outta these guys
    Scorponok - This guy has all the right joints, but his shape and balance make the way they pose sorta unconventional. But he looks pretty cool. Be warned that a few months back, a lot of people were reporting that the arm-torso supports were snapping off
    The Combiners - At this point, getting the Bruticus one for a nice price could be difficult. Their combined modes aren't perfect (although Devastator's is really nice), but they look pretty cool and their individual figures are mostly nice on their own. Superion is the weakest one
    Tow-Line - the most impressive of the deluxe-sized Autobots, the only one that the combining gimmick doesn't ruin. He's not perfect (could use thigh-swivels) but he's surprisingly well done, and his little trailer-base gimmick is fun

Cybertron:
    The really impressive ones - Optimus, Megatron, Evac, Menasor, Metroplex, Vector Prime, Downshift, Defense Scattorshot
    Others-
    Scourge - Scourge fits what I said about Energon Galvatron; he's really cool looking, but not super poseable. If you can get him for a good price, he is impressive
    Quickmix - His feet and right arm are a little weird, but this guy has the right joints and he's fun to play with.
    Crosswise - This guy is a pretty nice toy, before Classics came out he was the best "diaclone styled hood-chest" guy that we'd seen in a while (not counting Alternators). But, he has some annoying kibble and these days he is relatively less impressive than what's come since. Still, a good toy
    Landmine - I didn't think this toy looked very good, but when I actually bought it as "Movie Grindcore," I was impressed with him. Cool gimmicks with his sawblades, and he nicely poseable
    Snarl and Thunderblast - put these 2 in the 'maybe' pile. Thunderblast is more poseable than any Armada figure and she has a unique design, but the giant boat-backpack is cumbersome. Snarl is an average figure, but nicer than I thought he'd be

also, imo, deluxe-sized Armada Prime is not nearly as impressive as everyone says. I wouldn't recommend him

13. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I completely forgot about Vector Prime, though others have pointed him out. Very cool figure! I have the Hasbro and (Korean reissue) Takara releases - only bad thing is the sword on the Hasbro one came all curvy and bent. Posability's pretty good, and a really cool bot mode.

14. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    Okay...my recommendations...

Armada
    Hoist: Surprised no-one talked about him. Very articulated ratchet legs for his time, cool action poses can be made of this one. Relatively fun and insecticon-like minicon.
    Tidal-Wave: Preferably the Takara version. Not extremely articulated [no knee joints] but has an imposing presence and he can combine with Megatron\Galvatron into a fairly cool armoured up mode. Energon repaint is nice as well, but the darker Micron Legend scheme is the best one.

Energon
    Galvatron\Megatron: Fairly neat mode, but do prefer the smaller, voyager sized one to the bigger lump of plastic. It's heavier despite being smaller, making for a more sturdy toy. I personally prefer the white, first version.
    Starscream: Deluxe sized and very articulated, one of the first to incorporate a ghostly clear-cast figure in a mainline. Looks great next to the aforementioned Galvatron.

Cybertron
    Most of the figures are KICK-ASS, especially voyagers and up, they have almost exclusively ratchet joints, but besides a fun transformation, feel almost wooden with no character. Nevertheless, toys only:
    Optimus Prime: The basic mode is fun to pose around, minimal feet\toe articulation but pretty stable. Firetruck mode is aces, I really like the angular front end. Super mode is nothing to write home about in terms of articulation from the waist down due to the weight, takes up a LOT of space but the combining with Leobreaker\Wingsaber is fun and actually toy-like.
    Voyager Starscream: Display piece mostly. Due to his gimmick, his arms are restricted in motion, but his huge feet and ratcheting legs offer lots of possible poses. Still one of the best, if not the best, Cybertronian jet mode.
    Wing Saber: I've had my copy of the mould for about a year and a halft before I got an Optimus Prime to combine, and he's pretty good as a standalone figure as well. Armed to the teeth and has a solid jet mode.
    Evac: Fun figure, ratchet joints on all his limbs, big feet to support him in posing, only real drawback is that he has no real weapon and that he's pretty basic notwithstanding.

15. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    Armada Hoist looks cool but I don't own so I can't say for sure

16. Stryker055

Stryker055 Josh Boyfriend

Hoist is definitely a great figure, but if you like homages (re: Beast Wars Neo), the Cybertron Longrack's pretty cool, as well.