Some Radicon stats

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by project9, Oct 4, 2012.

1. project9

project9 White n' Nerdy

Hey folks,

I've been working on something for personal reasons but wanted to share some information I assembled. Basically, I'm creating a sort of "Radicon Index" - a spreadsheet/database of all Radicon custom threads - which will have tags on what figures/materials were used and what the custom was. The reason would be things like viewing all customs made from a Classic Mirage or Bumblebee, or what Optimus Prime customs were made not from another Optimus toy, or all Lego/Kre-o or CHUG customs. Things like that. Like, unless someone was searching for Cloudraker/Fastlane, they may never know you could turn Classic Mirage into a jet or Skullcruncher into Optimus.

This is more for myself - and I'm not sure what the moderators or site people would think about it and I apologize if I've done anything wrong - but I'm open to share it at some point in the future if there were no objections. It's not meant to replace anything TFW by any means - just a more advanced search/filter tool to be able to locate the threads on the site or get ideas for a custom based on what you have. (i.e. what can I make with this left over *insert toy here*...)

With that being said, we're nearing 20,000 custom threads on the site. As of an hour or so ago, there were 19,934 threads on the site. The stats I wanted to share was some of the breakdowns of the numbers.

Number of customs by year:
    HTML:
    2004		1
    2005		200
    2006		557
    2007		1363
    2008		2319
    2009		4033
    2010		3931
    2011		4161
    2012		3368
    Number of types by prefix (unknown were before they were required):
    HTML:
    Minor/Repaint	12404
    Heavy/Scratch	6020
    Non-TF		1123
    Repro/Sticker	345
    Unknown		41
    Number of customs by Radicon:
    HTML:
    sentinalsupreme	281
    Solrac333	278
    Shinobitron	252
    SonOfNemesis	239
    xaviercal	200
    G60Force	187
    Unicron9	177
    dyingwill3rd	174
    Delta Star	162
    LimeWire	161
    encline		149
    chansformers	146
    spoonman	143
    thyvipera	136
    Sabrina_Ng	131
    ALPHAMAGNUS	131
    TCracker	123
    Treadshot A1	118
    Zildjian	108
    Sculpt-bot	107
    As you can imagine, going through 20K threads to sort out what's in them is not a quick task. So any other cool stats, like # of customs per character, would take a while to find. I don't even know if I'd ever get through most of them... I just think it's cool to see the framework of the Radicon world and how it breaks down from just the basic raw data.

Again, I apologize if I overstepped any boundaries. I love TFW and the all of the great customs and artists that are on it (myself humbly being one of them). I only wish to celebrate the community and everything about it.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2013
  2. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    Cool!

3. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

Neat idea. Not sure how it can be carried out with vBulletin, though.

4. project9

project9 White n' Nerdy

Actually, I went back through some because the main Radicon's page shows 'displaying # of 19,988' and I wanted to see what I missed. There are some threads that were moved to other areas that were still listed and I think I missed some, so here are some updated numbers.

Total Radicon Custom threads: 19,970
    Number of customs by year:
    HTML:
    2004		1
    2005		200
    2006		558
    2007		1364
    2008		2326
    2009		4042
    2010		3933
    2011		4168
    2012		3378
    Number of types by prefix (unknown were before they were required):
    HTML:
    Minor/Repaint	12427
    Heavy/Scratch	6031
    Non-TF		1124
    Repro/Sticker	345
    Unknown		43
    Number of customs by Radicon:
    HTML:
    sentinalsupreme	281
    Solrac333	278
    Shinobitron	252
    SonOfNemesis	240
    autobotx23	202
    xaviercal	200
    G60Force	187
    Unicron9	177
    dyingwill3rd	175
    Delta Star	162
    LimeWire	161
    encline		149
    chansformers	146
    spoonman	143
    thyvipera	136
    Sabrina_Ng	131
    ALPHAMAGNUS	131
    TCracker	123
    Treadshot A1	117
    mattarmstrong	108
    Zildjian	108
    Sculpt-bot	107

5. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Am I the only one wanting to know what chansformers and spoonman's field goal percentages are? Of course not!

(great work there :)  I used to keep up with stats like this a few years ago a bit more closely. Never to the point of making actual spreadsheets though. That's some good work :thumb )

6. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    that's a nice little tidbit of info there!....thanks for sharing that.

7. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Toy Designer

Oh wow...I made it onto the list. I didn't know I'd posted so much stuff here. Wow.

That said, always nice to see the community's growth, and to reach that number of customs (~20000) is great.

Now I just have to post a few more things to get further up that list. I'm only at #21 right now. Coincidentally, 21 is one of my favourite numbers. :) 

8. QmTablit

QmTablit BotBot in the what, I said BotBot in the what

I'd imagine going through every thread would be the only way of doing this, but is there yet a difference in the numbers of WIP threads vs completed project threads? Because some people have posted one of each for the same project, and then there's people like me who've started WIP threads and never finished things. LOL

9. project9

project9 White n' Nerdy

That's one of my tags. =) But short of going through all of the threads, you can only do so much by looking for "WIP" in the title.

10. SonOfNemesis

SonOfNemesis Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Hey this is awesome!

11. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I'd be at the top of the WIP list......& I'd be pretty high up on the "massacred bots" list. ;)  (j/k)

Very cool! I've always been interested in seeing oddball info on things that some may not think about......like this.

12. project9

project9 White n' Nerdy

13. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    Practically all of mine would be WIP threads as I like to work on my TFs in stages. For example I've posted one thread for my leader Optimus when I did a little bit of detailing. Then I bumped it again later on when I made a trailer, again later when I added some chrome, again when I worked on the smokestacks, etc.
    I'm always displaying my customs as finished projects, but I keep going back and doing tweaks along the way...

14. project9

project9 White n' Nerdy

The problem with trying to scrape/parse out anything from the title. You can't guarantee that the name or words in the title are really what's inside. Like, "My New Project" would be something someone could enter for their WIP thread that you can't filter out. And threads like "Runabout from Tracks" or something like "Leader Fallen from Voyager Fallen". You can't just filter a ton of threads and tag them at once without there being some odd ones like those. All else fails if I tag them that way, I'd have to just correct those later.

15. project9

project9 White n' Nerdy

If anyone is interested in playing around with or looking at what I'm doing, here's an 'alpha' version so to speak of my Excel spreadsheet and Filemaker Pro database "Radicon Index" app:

21MB Excel file: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B_W0rGsBDbKsTlFLb0owbGMyV3c
    23MB Radicon Index app (7z'ed): https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B_W0rGsBDbKsYW9fbDhCenpzcGs

Excel has 2 sheets, the second one is the Pivot Tables with the stats I listed above.

I pulled in the first post from each thread as the "Content" (a couple were too long and Excel couldn't handle it all in one cell, so that's why there's a Content2 column). It's the raw HTML, as through Filemaker Pro I render that in a box so I could flip through and read them and see the embedded pictures.

In FMP, I put buttons to click to go right to the thread or Radicon member's profile page. You can hyperlink the URLs in Excel if you just want to check that out.

I pulled in the first attachment for the "thumbnail" as I'm pretty sure that's the one TFW uses since the forum redesign years ago. I also render this in FMP. My plan is to use that and the HTML post to flip through and tag them without having to keep manually going to each thread.

I plan on tagging those with multiple tags or items as comma-separated in the field (i.e. DotM,RotF,Movie). The as-you-type search fields I coded for FMP do a "contains" type of search. You'd have to set that filter manually in Excel but would accomplish the same thing. So a thread that's "Animated/Classics Rodimus" would have a Toy Line tag for the custom as 'TF:Animated,CHUG' and it is returned when searching for either word.

The "Theme/Keyword" field is what I planned for things like G1 for G1-styled customs, Shattered Glass or things like "2pk" or "Pepsi" to identify specific Primes and the like. I haven't nailed everything down, so I may end up expanding if that doesn't fit the bill.

The Source Character/Toy Line fields will most likely contain the Theme/Keyword in addition to the name - i.e. "2pk Prime" - as that's the easiest way to be specific to the right figure.

Again, this is a work in progress and is really just me messing around and learning some tools/programming but I figured I'd share. As I slowly work on the tags and add all new threads, I'll post updated files.

16. Pimp My Toy

Pimp My Toy AKA Jimster

Ebay:
    Just found this thread. I'm such a stat junkie, this'll keep me entertained for hours :p 

17. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I downloaded these, and I'll poke around with em when I get the time.

Honestly, I'm happy to see someone besides myself looking this stuff up and keeping a kind of list of sorts. I mainly keep up with galleries and tutorials myself, though. I lost track a little while back, but then we were just shy of 500 tutorials for just customs. I'm betting we're over that now, as that was a few months back and I've been busy with tutorials as of late. :ev: 

18. project9

project9 White n' Nerdy

That's actually one of the main reasons I started this. The galleries here are sorted nicely but I don't think anyone ever submit their stuff. So 20K threads of stuff and only like 1300 galleries. That, and I thought it would be cool to find customs based on the source figure(s) and not what series/character/toyline the custom was for.

Want to know something funny? Because Google or whomever tagged TFW as a malicious site, it's been blocked by my work's network/internet security as a "restricted site". That's where I've been doing most of this, on my downtime at work when I'm bored.

19. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Back in the day, we used to spend a ton of time and resources sorting out the galleries here, preserving what we could of the falling Transtopia, and adding galleries indicative of TFW2005. Back when this hobby was much smaller, we got to the point where the goal was to have any and all customs made galleried. 2007 + customs explosion = impossible task. The galleries are sorted by the base figure used, though. For example, if someone uses an Energon figure for a Classics custom, you'll find the gallery in the Energon folder.

I really hate that your work has done that. Maybe you can explain to them that it was a false positive and have the restriction lifted?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
  20. project9

project9 White n' Nerdy

To be honest, that's where I came from. I was over on Transtopia for a while before TFMaster passed and the site went. TFW was the next best (and now is the best), so I've been here ever since.

There are a ton of fantastic customs pre-2007 but I think the quality and ingenuity of the art form has increased exponentially since then just due to the influx of talented artists.
    Well, being that there's an "acceptable use policy" that we agree to that says we shouldn't be using company internet for personal reasons, I kinda can't complain. =) But it looks like it's cleared up now.