Some questions about classics transformers

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by s_cren, Oct 1, 2012.

1. s_cren

s_cren Banned

So i was thinking what is hasbro decision making on doing generations or classics versions of some chracters and not others, for example why make thunderwing and black shadow, but not trailbreaker or hoist in a deluxe size. I guess what im saying is they couldve have just came out with characters like the did in the 80's and just got by seasons. Like the order they are released now is similar to the order they were back then . What do you guys think?

2. Spyne98

Spyne98 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I would love if they started doing season by season and fill in the gaps, especially if it means Hasbro can just do repaints. It would save them money, no?

3. s_cren

s_cren Banned

i feel like it would be the best way and it would give us fans a better idea of who is coming and when they are coming just got back to season one and start from there and fill in the gaps and then maybe do like a new school catalog like in g1 that we can mark off or something lol

4. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Old School Snarkster

News Credits:
    A few reasons that spring to mind (aside from the usual "it's not the 80s anymore"):
    Marketing: Hasbro only has so many "slots" for toys which are only available for a relatively small period of time. Not only that, but you release too many of the similar kind of toy on the market, it could impair sales (one of the reasons we haven't gotten full color coded teams in recent years, you'd get too many figures that look too similar on shelves at the same time)

How the market works and duration of the line: Toys are shipped in waves with the average availability "window" being some 3 months at best. Hasbro can't just make all the characters at once because the line would be over in a couple years with little to fall back on.

Collector interest: For many collectors, there are certain years they want product from. By mixing up the characters, it strings us collectors along, possibly snagging a few extra sales because we buy what we find.

5. Atomatron

Atomatron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    perfect answer, well stated, close this thread its over!
    esp. the string along

6. mfic99us

mfic99us Stunticon

Ebay:
    Kind of wondered that myself. Never heard of Thunderwing the character as I am mainly a fan of the original cartoon, rather than the comics. I picture them doing some kind of raffle to pic which new character from the Transformers universe to make:) 

The idea of going by the seasons makes the most sense. Probably how they started off the Classics line, except for Rodimus and Ultra Magnus I guess...

7. s_cren

s_cren Banned

i get and i understand the lined couldnt be released all at once but i guess my thought is some of the main characters (soundwave ) for example dont have a classics figure. I own the music label soundwave myself

8. s_cren

s_cren Banned

i appreciate your response but thats exactly what im talking about they have so many slots so why chose less know characters over chracters that had a lot more screen time in the show is what im saying

9. Cracka J

Cracka J TURD PARTY DUMPSTERPIECE TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    because classics are just that: classics. they are not bound to any particular season of G1, or even the show for that matter. they span both show and comic continuities and try to make a wide variety of G1 fans happy.

for the hardcore G1 enthusiasts, there's masterpiece. that's where you should be looking right now if you want a perfect, G1 soundwave.

10. s_cren

s_cren Banned

i know and i like that they span all lines and im just using soundwave as an example im 24 so im definitely not a g1 purist or anything im just curious how they chose who they are going to make or not

11. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Variety is fun, and frankly, I was happier with getting a Thunderwing and Black Shadow than I would have been with a Trailbreaker.

12. Atomatron

Atomatron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    need a trailbreaker though, bad!
    smaller scale windcharger too (never gonna happen)

when is cogz due out?

13. s_cren

s_cren Banned

i like the variety too i just wander what there decision process is

14. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I truthfully think that Hasbro wants to finish off the first 2 series of G1 characters in Classics form. It's really just going to take some time to do so.

15. seali_me

seali_me Well-Known Member

Classics will always be only a filler line in between full blown promoted lines.

16. s_cren

s_cren Banned

True true on the filler part and i think without third party classics shelves would look a little light in some areas