Some personal help is needed.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mechafire, Aug 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mechafire

Mechafire Shadow Broker Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Why thank you for those ecouraging words!

2. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

Bingo.

It's a panic attack, and how do I know? I suffer from them. Genetically passed from my parents to me. It runs up and down my Dad's side of the family.

I'll get lightheaded, feel like my blood pressure is about to make the top of my head burst, trouble breathing, aches, pains, throat closing up, etc.

And it's all a panic attack. Here's the problem, no one knows what causes or triggers a panic attack, which is why there's no cure for them...yet. (though they do know which parts of the brain are affected and what happens when up there when they start, which is leading to new medicines...)

If a doctor prescribes the correct medication for you, after taking a dose (usually one per day, depending on the medicine, and the dosage) about 45 minutes later, you'll be feeling like it never happened.

It could also be brought on by an OCD moment. One little thing to knock over the first domino, and shortly thereafter, the rest will assuredly fall. That's why panic attacks are so crippling. You never know what might trigger one, or when it'll come, or when it will end, so it sneaks up on you when you least expect it, and WHAM.

Don't worry though, it's not a heart attack, it's a panic attack/anxiety disorder. With medication, and getting out and about, you'll learn to live with them and even have them become manageable. I take one pill per day and my train is back on the tracks.

1.) Your doctor shouldn't be telling you things like that, whether he was serious or not. (methinks he was trying to be humorous, and have a little fun at your expense, because he knows nothing's wrong with you, but it's oh so easy to torment people.)

2.) You had all of the tests done and you didn't die. (you're not going to, btw.)

Seriously, it's all panic. You'd be amazed at what the brain can believe and make the body do.

And if you're worried about your heart, you really shouldn't be. If no one in your family has any record of heart attack (or even if it's one or two in the family, but the rest are healthy) then the chances of you being the unfortunate one are next to zilch.

Also, if you're overweight, that doesn't automatically mean you're in danger of anything. In fact, a study was just released, showing that at least half of overweight folks in America are actually heart healthy, and sometimes even more so than skinny folks!

Seriously, you're going to be alright. It's literally all in your head. I'll bet that when you're not thinking about it, and you're out doing something you truly enjoy (like watching a movie, going on a date, buying a new figure, trying a new game, etc) you don't even notice it or care.

That, right there, proves to me even more, that it's just a panic attack.

Seriously, not helping. Putting this "Live like you were dying" idea into a mentally fragile mind is not helping matters. (Btw...I'm not saying you're crazy man, just that your current mental state is just walking on eggshells until you know the truth.) While it's true that we shouldn't take tomorrow for granted, it's also true that we should stop and smell the roses.

There's a balance between living life to the fullest, and taking our time with it as well. Each person needs to find the right balance, for them. What works for one person, might not work for another. Besides, taking things for granted (even to a small extent) is part of the human condition.

So yeah, live life to the fullest, but live it as a human, not as a machine. Enjoy what life has to offer, and be mindful of what could happen, but live. LIVE!

You're still young, and I'll bet in pretty good physical health. You still have a lot of plans laid out for your future, and you still have time to make them become reality. Focus on that, focus on the joys of living, not what might end it all.

My Dad's doctor told him "The thing you worry about the most, never comes true. Then you look back and you say "Oh shit, I wasted my life, and it was all for nothing." So don't sweat the small stuff, and try not to worry about the big stuff."

And he's right.

Dude, you'll be fine.

3. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

:lolol  for real.

And yeah, do it, do it!

(then post a link)

4. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    zomg Amazing.

5. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

Which is why he should live now. If he really thinks he's gonna die shouldn't he be doing something worthwhile other than ask for advice on a forum?

6. Mechafire

News Credits:
    Wow, I cannot believe my goddamn eyes. There is actually another serious post in this topic?! *shock*

Yeah, you people are not helping at all. If you want a place to make jokes about people being scared of dying, please make your own thread. Hell, call it, "You'll Laugh to Death!". I don't give a shit. I'm looking for advice, like the post from AnimaedFan. Not to sound cliche, but how would you feel if you made a serious topic that was, "I'm afraid I am going to die..." and I laughed in your face for it, and said, "Well you better make sure you do everything you want to before you die in your sleep. What a dumbass you are actually asking for advice! ROTFLMAO!!1" I am just going to ignore all other posts like these you make, so just don't do it.

Anyway, my doc did not perscribe a medication. Keep in mind his daughter was just killed a week ago, so I am not exactly sure on how great his mental health is right now. I would assume it is all either a panic attack or something muscular, since I have been having these symptoms for about a month and nothing has happened.

And yeah, my worry about all this is extremely minimalized when I get a new figure or am playing a game. However, it doesn't go away at all when I am watching a movie/show/TV. I guess maybe it is because I am not really doing anything, and just sitting there.

I don't think anyone in my family has had a heart problem. But I will have to ask.

7. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Every one of my posts was absolutely, completely, and totally serious. And you won't ignore this. I know you'll read it. Your ego demands that you read every post in a thread you start.

My point in my posts was that you weren't going to die. You don't have to like the fact that I didn't coddle you and pat your hand, but the simple fact of the matter is that the odds of you having any sort of serious cardiac etiology from what you described were ASTRONOMICAL. I think that's a completely reasonable response to a post like yours.

And my advice was solid. Stop worrying about it, because it's not an issue. It's just not the advice you wanted, but...well, thems the breaks. Welcome to the real world, where sometimes you don't always get what you want.

Also:
    Really? No, really? C'mon. Really?

What about the TWO OTHER DOCTORS?

And:
    I love that you don't need doctors to figure out what's wrong.

I remember when I was 13. I knew everything also. Up 'til I was about 19, anyways.

And finally:
    Out. Standing.

There was actually a paper in The Journal Of Cardiology recently about how severe cardiac ischemia could be offset by video games. The hypothesis was that the release of catecholeamines during play reversed the hypoxia that was causing chest pain and cell death.

Okay, that part isn't actually serious.

8. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

No way, that's immature

Here's the link
    HELP i has problem - HealthBoards.com Message Boards

If you get a message saying you're not registered, it'll still show up, just wait it out. 5 seconds

It'll probably get locked immediately

Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
  9. Kickback

Kickback @GeekWithChris Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Bullshit.

No doctor, in their right mind, would:

1) Insight more fear in to you when all tests show you are perfectly fine
    2) State that even though the tests state you're fine, that you could die tomorrow from these magical mysterious pains
    3) Tell you a FORMER PATIENT OF THEIRS DIED FROM SOMETHING SIMILAR

You, good sir, are LYING. It's even more emphasized when you threw out the "TOTAL HONEST TRUTH" line. You are now seeking sympathy from people after you've been told there's nothing wrong with you from someone who is in the medical field (squirrelcar).

Please. Stop wasting our time by making up bullshit stories at this point.

10. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

I am an MD, but I take no responsibility with your case as I'm not getting paid for this. First of all, how old are you? The chest pains your having can be psychological as been suggested. It could also be musculoskeletal pain. Have you been doing any heavy lifting lately? In my honest opinion, you should get your doctor to get you a beta blocker. That's literally a chill pill, cause thats what it seems like you need to do. Good day sir.

11. Kickback

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Are you overweight?

12. Harbinger

Harbinger ecnayonnA

is this like the longest running heart attack ever? hows the numb left arm going? your still posting so you havent suddenly dropped dead from mysterious illness what 3 different doctors couldnt diagnose (though the fourth one did but he was imaginary) oh and sorry i havent been counting the doctors.

so yeah stop fishing for sympathy and going to medical sites online and you will be fine.

13. Mechafire

News Credits:
    1. I am not sure how much "in the right mind" he is considering HIS DAUGHTER WAS JUST KILLED IN AN ACCIDENT.
    2. He said "I am 99 percent sure, you are fine. This VERY rarely happends to teenagers at all. There is this one test you could do to make that 99 percent 100 percent."
    3. So "TOTAL HONEST TRUTH" actually means "TOTAL HONEST LIE"? Hm. What is this opposit day or something?
    4. Am I overweight? Yeah, a bit.
    5. I am not saying I have been having a heart attack for a month, I am saying that can't these be warning signs or something like that?

But, I will confess, I DID lie about 1 thing and 1 thing only: The patient wasn't his patient. He was actually refferring to Tim Russert, that news guy. Apparently he had all the stress tests and all that shit done, he was fine, then in the next few days he died. That's what he told me. I don't know if this is true, since I never watched the news. So I am sorry if I lied, I just didn't feellike typing that much since I was tired. Please don't crucify me.

14. Kickback

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    So he's working even though he had a major death in his immediate family? That doesn't sound like a good idea. I'm pretty sure most facilities would force their employee to take some time off for that.

Then why didn't you say that the first time?

No, it means you told a lie, but to make yourself sound more convincing, you threw out the words "TOTAL HONEST TRUTH" at the end of it, to really emphasize your point. Because, you know, saying "Really guys, I'm not lying" totally makes us believe you.

Then you probably need to change your diet and exercise more often if, by some chance of God, you really do have a condition.

No.

Tim Russert had spent, I believe it was a week, in Europe with his family. And before he left, he had been filming some episodes for his political talk show. And when he got back, he was.

So the "AND A FEW DAYS LATER HE DIED" statement is complete, total, and utter bullshit. And now you're claiming "don't blame me if it's not true" ...

Whatever man. Face it -- everyone told you to STFU and stop being so worried over nothing and now you're trying to egg it on and milk it for all it's worth and it's not only become old, it's become irritating.

15. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    I am on day 34 of my heart attack. I'm actually doing ok.

16. Prowl_Delta_31

Prowl_Delta_31 Eating your donuts

News Credits:
    This thread is great. On a serious note, I had a. EKG today and they said it was abnormal with a possible cardiel Infarction and a blood pressure of 160/98. Don't know what they are going to do but they didn't seem like it was a big deal. I have to monitor my blood pressure and go back in a week. He just said that I have a stressful job and may need to take some time off.

17. Kickback

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Are you having a heart attack though?

18. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    :( 

Nothing there. So what were the expert medical opinions on the matter?

19. Prowl_Delta_31

Prowl_Delta_31 Eating your donuts

News Credits:
    Didn't find your post but there is some very interesting things on that board.

20. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Jourdo- They deleted my thread, like 10 miniutes after I made it

Asked them which transformer to buy, but dont think they were too thrilled.
    My name there was tocatoca, maybe my profile is still up

Edit- nm

ProwlD- That place is pretty cool, would'nt be suprised if alot of us are members there in 10years ,all old, complaining about our backs :lol 

Last edited: Aug 22, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.