Some one please explain something to me

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Alucard77, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    So I have been here for over an year and there is still something I don't understand. Why is there so much fighting here, over everything? I don't want to put this place down as I have made many friends, so let's not take it down that route.

But it seems like what anybody posts, some one has to come in from the completely opposite side attacking them.

I will just use my experiences real quick. I know I have complained about BBTS, and to a much much smaller degree Hasbro for the FE thing. But in all my posts, I always make a recommendation or something to say, maybe if it was handled like this or that, this may work better.

I am not attacking any person on the boards or anything. But I notice that people come on, and use stuff like "Butthurt" much, "get a life", "get some friends", so on and so on. It get's really personal, and quick.

The thing that put it over the edge for me was this week when I posted a simple enough thread about me and my son playing with TFers. I ended it by saying I feel bad for those parents who have to spend $70 on Bulkhead if they were their kids favorite character and they had to buy it for him for a BDay or something if that is what is promised. Because of that last part, I was told that I was having a tantrum, and that I am a bad parent. Completely unwarranted and unacceptable to the thread.

I mean, I just don't get it. I get people not liking bitching and all, but then why not ignore it. I mean the person bitching is obviously upset about something and just wants to share so other people can say, I feel ya. Once that goes, then the person is usually fine. I mean in every hobby there are the frustrating parts and the happy parts.

But what happens here is that some one is upset at a situation, and people come on calling them names and degrading them. It makes something small, really big. Why not just ignore the post and move on? Why most we escalate everything?

I have been part of close to 20 forums in my life ranging from High End Electronics to Videogame Systems to Movies. If on AVSForums you came on and said the same things here. Such as x,y,z place takes forever to ship, these prices are out of control, this item got canceled, it sucks, people don't bash the shit out of you. Most of the time they take the time to either educate you or agree with you. If not, they don't go crazy.

So what is it about TFers that does this? I have a feeling that there is going to be a lot of bad stuff that comes from this, but I rather there not be. I know a lot of people feel the same way as I do, as I have seen a lot of posts with people saying the same thing. So I guess I just want to understand why the need to argue with people. Why can't we have differing opinions without resorting to all of this?

2. Starfire22

Starfire22 Wall crawling menace!

News Credits:
    Too many members not thinking before posting. In other cases however it's people venting because they're upset.

3. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    To put it simply, people value their own opinion over anyone else's. And you use whatever tactic neccesary to let everyone else know that.

4. Alucard77

News Credits:
    I mean, it's sad, cause there are some really awesome people on here. In personal chats, I have met amazing people. Also, I have made friends with people that completely disagree with me on many things. It's just that I respect them as a person and they respect me as a person and we see each others points and we agree to disagree. Sometimes, we can even change each other's minds over things. It's really nice.

5. Smashs

Smashs Internet: Pure Truth Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    It always comes down to this:

[​IMG]

ALWAYS.

6. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    Tell me...Why are we so blind to see, that the one's we hurt are you and me?

7. Dr. Grimlockisking

Dr. Grimlockisking Twitter @GrimlockIsKing

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Part of it is also perception. If multiple threads complaining/debating/calling for action are made by a certain member over and over, some get tired of it and use it as an opportunity to attack. And the simple truth is, not all personalities get along. It's true in life and it's true here as well.

8. Big Dawg

Big Dawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think whoever called you a bad parent was going a little too far, however in that particular thread you were talking about playing with your own kid and how his favorite character was bulkhead and that you would not diappoint him on his third birthday but you wouldn't pay $70 for a voyager. I guess you should just leave stuff about your kids off the site if you don't want people to judge you (I did not post in that particular thread but saw it and it did get a little too personal)

9. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Because people love to argue, especially when there's some form of anonymity to shield them from actual harm.

10. Alucard77

News Credits:
    I hear you. I understand that point. But why attack the member? I mean, you disagree, disagree. For instance Exomega disagrees with me a lot. But me and him are friends, and I have seen things from his stand point and vice versa. He would always disagree respectfully.

I really don't mind with anyone disagreeing, as long as there is respect there.

That is sad, cause it's really a community. Shouldn't we talk about our kids and how awesome it is having them play with your childhood toys and all that good stuff? I could be wrong on this of course. Maybe this place is not the place for that stuff.

11. Starfire22

Starfire22 Wall crawling menace!

News Credits:
    I don't think it's the place, bur rather the time.

12. Satomiblood

One of the main reasons to avoid discussing family issues, particularly with children, on a site like this is armchair parenting. You're going to run into know-it-alls and then you're going to have differing parental views. Everyone likes to think that (A) their parenting method is superior, or that (B) their kids are the most well-behaved. Things can get rather ugly when personal relationships are involved.

13. Boulder

Boulder Rock Lord

It's mostly because innotation and connotation are usually difficult to decipher with the written word and the primal instinct is to be defensive against criticism whether real or percieved. Some people withdraw, some people become confused, and some lash out. It's not that the offenders intended to be "total dickwads", they just can't pick up on the subtle cues that we give off in verbal conversations.

Or I could be wrong and you're really a blithering idiot. :D 

14. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Yeah, I guess it just goes back to how everyone needs to push their side of things no matter how respectful it is towards the other person.

But realistically, what you post can be really taken for everything posted. You get, I love 3rd Parties, then the barrage of Third Party Sucks, you gotta be an idiot to buy that KO stuff.

Yeah, why go crazy over something that is a company that you don't work for. I mean, at the end of the day, it is not you and doesn't really effect you.

I could understand if some one was saying something about you, or your family. I could see how you would jump off the handle. But when people talk about 3rd Party companies for instance, it's as if the world ended.

Look at what happened with TCracker. People attacking him because he had inside knowledge and was playing around. That was totally not right. TCracker didn't fly off the handle, and he was being persoanally attacked and so was the company he has knowledge of.

15. Satomiblood

I think another problem is that people are too black and white on a lot of issues here. They insist on being right all of the time. There's hardly a gray area.

16. Barricade24

Barricade24 The Decepticop

News Credits:
    Trust me, I have seen things that are far worse on You Tube. The place just seems like a battleground for people who insult people just because they feel safe behind the computer.

But I agree with what some of the other people said above. It is usually people want to point out how right their opinion is and how wrong someone is else. But I know we can be respectful and share our opinion with people. People should just think before posting.

17. Satomiblood

Well, most Youtube comments are useless anyway.

18. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    You could go round and round all day saying this should change and people shouldn't do this. The best way to change the world you live in, is to ignore the negativity and keep going forward and you yourself living the way you ideally want the world to be like. You can't make somebody do something, but you yourself can live the way you want. Arguments always stem from as I said earlier, "This is how I think it should be, and now do and believe what I say." I can't worry about everyone else, I can only worry about myself.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  19. Alucard77

News Credits:
    You know what, this is true. That is really a good way to live. It is very hard to do, but a great way to live.

20. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    It is a hard way to live, but change is never easy.