Some new pics of Hasbro MP-08 Grimlock...both teething versions available??!

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Bystander, May 15, 2010.

1. Bystander

Bystander Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I found some new pictures of the US Hasbro version of MP-08 Grimlock being posted on actoys.net, from a different poster than one who has provided Grimlock's pictures a while ago on the same website.

Apart from releasing of the pics, poster 红银蓝 also reveals another interesting piece of information regard to this toy - it is basically released in two different teeth and claws versions: one with round tipped teeth and dull claws as the toy showed in last set of the pics I posted in here; another version is actually identical to Japanese Takara's, which has very sharp triangle teeth as well as claw tips.

The poster seemed to be very certain about its sharp teeth variants. He claimed that he had had three in hand before, one round teeth's and two triangle teeth's. Two were already given away and he kept a "sharp" version one for himself.

In addition, his overall impression to this toy is that "its plastic parts are not as cheap looking as Takara version's and also its gold chrome is almost flawless, not like his new buy Takara one with scratches on it..." :confused: .

No toy box views available so far.

See original threads:

ÔÙÅÄÃÀ°æMP08¡£¡£¡£Åï×Ó»¹ÊǺÜÓбØÒªµÄ¡£¡£¡£| ±äÐνð¸Õ×ÛºÏÌÖÂÛÇø - ACTOYSÄ£ÍæÍø - ÖÐÎÄÊÀ½ç×î´óµÄ¶¯ÂþÖܱßÄ£ÐÍÍæ¾ßÍø ±äÐνð¸ÕÍæ¾ß,Ö÷Á÷Ä£ÐÍ,Íæ¾ß,¶¯ÂþÍæ¾ß - powered by phpwind.net
    ¡ºÓÐͼÓÐÕæÏࡻСÆÀ ÃÀ°æMP08¸ÖË÷ É¢»õÈëÊÖ¡£¡£¡£ÅäÉ«ºÜG1¡«¡«¡«´ó°®| ±äÐνð¸Õ×ÛºÏÌÖÂÛÇø - ACTOYSÄ£ÍæÍø - ÖÐÎÄÊÀ½ç×î´óµÄ¶¯ÂþÖܱßÄ£ÐÍÍæ¾ßÍø ±äÐνð¸ÕÍæ¾ß,Ö÷Á÷Ä£ÐÍ,Íæ¾ß,¶¯ÂþÍæ¾ß - powered by phpwind.net

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Teeth Comparison:

triangle version

[​IMG]

round version

[​IMG]

Claws Comparison

"sharp" version

[​IMG]

"dull" version

[​IMG]

2. payton34

payton34 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm tempted to call BS. There is no way that the US will allow something with sharp edges like that, regardless of how cool it would be. They're too overreactionary with their toy laws.

3. Rijie78

Rijie78 Vinyl junkie.

News Credits:
    Perhaps the "sharp teeth version" will be a Japanese, stickered release of the Hasbro MP Grimlock; much like the stickered Takara release of the cartoon-colour MP Starscream (in Classics packaging), which used the proper mould, as opposed to the Hasbro one which had a few tweaks to comply with the necessary safety laws (the same version then re-used for Hasbro's MP Skywarp).

That said - I can't see why they would do a Japanese release of US MP Grimlock tho, it's largely identical apart from the odd paint app & the ugly stripes on the dino-mode legs. Is the crown really enough of a draw?

4. Bystander

News Credits:

I am not too sure either...

I checked the threads again, no just the person who posted them , one who left a comment following one of original threads also claimed he saw it with very sharp teeth and claws in the window of a hobby store in China, and it was Hasbro version too.

Also, the person who sold three toys to the poster specifically stated that they were Hasbro versions.

5. Bystander

News Credits:
    The person who sold three toys to the poster specifically stated that they were Hasbro versions. It gave me the kind of impression that they all got "snatched" from same location. If the round teeth one was Hasbro version, it would make other two sharp teeth ones highly unlikely to be Japanese repainted, because both Hasbro and Takara have their own independent manufacturing bases in China, in different provinces as I can recall, however, of course, unless two versions sharing same packages only differentiated by some Japanese painted sticks applied on Japanese version like takara classic mp starscream did.

6. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    So could it be that it ended up being a running change. With the "Sharp" version being produced first, then the "Blunted"?

7. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Back in 2008, Eric Siebenaler (one of the TF team's senior product designers) and Hasbro marketing/PR reps told me factories contracted to TakaraTomy handled Hasbro's Transformers as well.

Wonder if that has changed.

8. Smokescreen

Smokescreen The Ultimate Gambler TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Nice pics, but I'm still waiting to see the packaging of the U.S. version. It's supposed to be really cool.

9. BScorpinok75

BScorpinok75 Squadron X #1 Consultant

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Nice pics. I'd like to get my hands on the sharp tooth variant of Grimlock.

10. dragon516

dragon516 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Great. Need to get these once they show up. Glad I didn't go for MP cuz I didn't have that kind of money to spend...

11. Bystander

News Credits:

I wish I known what happened, but unless I have this toy in hand along with its original packaging right now, then I would probably know the answer; otherwise before its official release, this could always remain a small mystery, I guess.

I know their factories are alway independent of each other. That is one of reasons why we usually see leaked new Hasbro toys but barely their Takara Tomy counterpart versions, even in much later time, because their factories are apart, and different management system and maybe different security measurement are run in each. But still, maybe I was all wrong though.

I have forwarded some doubts and questions from here to the person who posted them originally and hope for the answers.

12. Mobb One

Mobb One Godmaster

I love MP grimlock enough to own both the takara version and the hasbro one once it comes out. and i really like the old-school stripes on the legs. straight out from g1 grimlock's sticker sheet.

13. CaptainChunk

CaptainChunk I bought it for my kids..

Ebay:
    The sharp, pointy one would be nicer to acquire here in the US, but I really don't mind so long as I can get my hands on him damn soon. Still a bummer about it being a TRU exclusive, no chance of picking him up cheap on clearance like Skywarp.

14. chugway

chugway ming mong ping pong

unless the figure is sold as a collectable, with an appropriate age on the box.

in fairness i can't see many 6 year olds stumping up the cash for a masterpiece edition of a 25 year old toy.

15. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    the sharp one is likely a transitional test-shot

16. crasis

crasis Yahk Deculture!

News Credits:
    There's absolutely NO WAY the sharp version would pass US toy laws. A little kid could easily hurt himself on the Takara one I have sitting in my office right now. If anything, these were probably just test versions. If Prime couldn't have his smokestacks, there is no way Grimmy will have his super sharp pointy bits. Even G1 Jetfire's nosecone was altered for safety reasons back in the 80s.

17. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    Wide release or store exclusive in US?

18. flamingunicron

flamingunicron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    TRU exclusive

19. Jarodimus

Jarodimus the guy with that scan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'll believe it when I see a sharp-toothed one on a U.S. store shelf. And I REALLY doubt that possibility.

20. Swoop

Swoop Well-Known Member

No MP-08x sword with the US release then? :-(