Some interesting news about GM

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Incepticon, Nov 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
  2. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

That's depressing. It's not just them though. ALL car makers including the totally badass (sarcasm) Honda and Toyota are not selling well. Nothing is selling well right now.

I just want my new Camaro :-(

3. 35InchMudders

35InchMudders Well-Known Member

What's new? A lot of this has to do with them not getting the money for the Chrysler merger, and they're crying hoping that the feds come in and give them the cash they're asking for.

4. Bottom Out

Bottom Out Well-Known Member

i would love to see some of GM go out of business, we dont need a pontiac firebird and a chevy camaro, get rid of one of those makes, we dont need gmc at all period....ditch chryster all together, americans dont make luxury cars.

5. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I guess the question is then do you have all the Autobots find new alt modes for the third film or do they just stick with the cast of bots they have now and make any new Autobots from a new car sponser for the film?

6. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Rather asshole-ish comment you got there. have some consideration for all the jobs that depend on GM. not just directly working for GM, but all the suppliers and THEIR suppliers, and all the businesses that depend on the business from their employees.

7. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I think what he meant is that GM doesn't need so many lines. GMC is a bit redundant since they are rebadged Chevy trucks.

8. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

So that basically means that Ratchet and Ironhide are going to get killed off in the next movie too.

Maybe Hasbro shoulda thunk about diversifying before putting all their eggs in one basket. Great job, Hasbro!

9. 35InchMudders

35InchMudders Well-Known Member

After all this time and all the replies to you, you still don't get it?

GM was the ONLY manufacturer who was interested and willing to invest in the movie. PERIOD.

You can blame everyone you want, from Hasbro, to Bay, GM was the only company who opened their doors to the production.

10. Bottom Out

yea, this is exactly what i meant. They basically have killed themselves by making cars that compete against each other

11. Julliant

Julliant This space for rent.

QFT.

12. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    And to be fair to Hasbro, the movie sponsorship thing was a deal between GM and the movie studio. 35InchMudders point stands, GM was the only company willing to go all the way with the film. Alternators/Binaltech shows just how difficult it is to get car companies involved with Transformers.

13. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

So can we also blame GM if we really didnt like how the movie turned out? If they had not put their product into it the movie likely would not have been made. I might have preferred it that way to be honest. And if GM is almost out of cash then clearly movie investment was a bad idea.

Also, I think it would be interesting to see GM go under just to see how incredibly tacky a summer-time product-placement movie is when the showcase products are from companies which do not exist anymore.

14. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    Totally true. But at the same time, let's not mistake their interest & willingness as generousity. It was millions of dollars worth of premediated product placement investment & exclusivity, subsequently making the TF films 2-hour commercials for their brands. It's a smart move on their part (well, it *was* until they started going tits up) but the downside is the clear cut lack of vehicle variety as well as the dominating presence of their logos on each auto mode TF character.

At the end of the day it's still all about mega corporation synergy & branding - Dreamworks, Paramount, GM, etc.

15. adam-x

adam-x megazord activate,,

maybe they should stop making crap such as hummer h2 h3 and that truck, the scum of the universe drive these.

16. Timmy 76

Timmy 76 Well-Known Member

this is making me laugh...the world is in finanical melt down, GM might go down and all we are worried about is what TF3 is going to do about Alt Modes.

:rolleyes2 

17. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Pathetic, isn't it.
    Oh, he gets it. It's just that like several other posters (in this thread alone, let alone any others), he'd rather argue with people. It's trolling, nothing more.

18. DieMaus

DieMaus is blawesome

News Credits:
    You know, I honestly cannot for the life of me fathom how it is possible to care what brand the cars in Transformers are. So many people constantly banging on about "GMC sucking" and "ooh, it's just a two-hour Chevy commercial"...seriously, I have to ask: who gives a toss? Moreover, how could you possibly give a toss? How on earth does the brand name of the cars used affect your enjoyment of the film even one teeny tiny bit? How and why would the film be any better, or even any different, if Jazz had been a Toyota instead of a Pontiac?

Seriously, if anyone has answers to any of these questions, feel free to tell me. There are many, many legitimate narrative, stylistic and canonical complaints that a fan could have with the TF movie, but splitting hairs over the brand name of the cars used? I just do not get it. :confused: 

19. Bottom Out

^best post in this thread

i honestly wouldnt even have noticed they were all GM vehicles if it wasnt for others pointing it out, they could be badgless made up cars (like in the comics) and id be fine with that

20. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

From a branding/marketing point of view though I wonder just how well it worked. Bumblebee seemed to be aimed at the younger crowd and they can't drive so they don't need a car. Prime was aimed more the G1-geezers but man I'd hate to park that thing. Ratchet, Jazz, and Ironhide were a bit short on movie time so there wasn't as much time to show off why you need a pickup that big.

Unless maybe the plan was a long term marketing plan of if kids play with the toys and teens think the film is cool then one day when they drive and can afford a new car they will pick our brand.

Then again I'm not a big vehicle fan so even if Ironhide had been the coolest thing ever put on film I still don't think I'd desire the real world vehicle. Since they are going with some smaller vehicles in part 2 I'll have to see how the appeal works. Ha ha, if nothing else I was interested in the Volt even before they said it would be in the film but not a Transformer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.