Some ideas for people who make things on Shapeways

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Alucard77, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    Not sure who all the people who make things on shapeways are, so I figured I would just post this.

I was thinking of what I would really like and cannot really find. So if anyone wanted to create any of these on shapeways, it would be great. So here is my list:

- Megatrons Throne
    - The console in the Decepticons head quarters
    - The operation table in the Autobot head quarters
    - Teletraan 1

Just some ideas. I bet they would all sell pretty well.

2. Alucard77

News Credits:
    damn, really? So shapeways only does really small things?

3. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The size limitations are fairly generous, but it gets expensive pretty fast.

4. Alucard77

News Credits:
    How expensive?

I mean, I would do like $30-35 for each item mentioned here. Is that really unrealistic on shapeways?

5. NothingHead

NothingHead Well-Known Member

Rapid prototyping has always been extraordinarily expensive. Shapeways has done a good job of streamlining and cutting costs, but you're not going to spin out a replica Teletraan for an affordable price. Think heads, guns, hands. And plan on them being rough, very textured, and potentially fragile.

To that end, I'd really like some alternate Classics heads. A G-1 Breakdown head for the Sideswipe mold would be brilliant.

6. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    Alucard, I suppose you never seen 3D printing for reals before. Big things takes MUCH MORE plastic, and would cost more than you getting a Teltran set, really.

Your prices are VERY unrealistic for Shapeways. A Roadbuster upgrade set on Shapeways including a head, 2 gun mods, can go up to 40$.

Its not the design. Its the time it takes for a 3D printer to print, as well as the materials. The design is uploaded by designers anyways. A Teletraan 1? You are kidding. Try 150$+.

Its not hard to go to shapeways.com and look at various plastic models and how much it cost to print them. The size there should give you an idea what you need to pay for something the size of what you ask for.

7. NothingHead

Exactly. And please remember that rapid prototyping devices also must build a scaffolding and support structure for the object that you're creating. Often, those scaffolds use as much plastic as the object, so unless you're clever with how you stack and arrange your object you could end up paying for twice as much plastic as you need.

8. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Good to know. Not holding out hope on that. LOL.

I guess I will do the printed Teletraan 1.

9. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Out of curiosity, what range of price would you guys estimate for a deluxe sized figure?

For a custom figure I would be tempted to spend crazy money. I likely wouldn't but I would be very tempted to. So I'm just curious what the end cost would be.

10. seali_me

seali_me Well-Known Member

- replacement parts for broken G1 toys or lost parts. these are common among each bot.
    - combiner ports

11. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Shapeways' materials are not up to snuff for either of those.

12. NothingHead

It's not for that. Listen: Plastic printers use an extrusion nozzle to force out a thin stream of plastic, like a hot glue gun that emits ABS plastic. The layers of ABS don't flow together, rather they just bond, resulting in the rough texture you see on most Shapeways products. Even more advanced printers can only smooth the model with a thin epoxy coating. The stratification is still present.

That stratification creates a very fragile piece. It can flake, snap, and shear at the points where the ultra-thin layers join together. While you CAN create prototype parts, and perhaps smooth them and retool them by hand until you have something that you can make a mold of, you CANNOT create a working, functional toy directly from this material.

There is this misconception, because some clever people have managed to do clever things with AutoCAD and the right plastics, that Shapeways is poised to become an online equivalent to Build-A-Bear, ready to poop out the toy of your dreams. It's not. If this technology was where you guys think it is, then whole divisions of Hasbro and Mattel would have been laid off like eight years ago, when this technology temporarily plateaued.

If you want custom toys so badly that you're willing to learn to use calipers and AutoCAD, pay for a Shapeways mold, then pay for tools and learn to shape it, smooth it, retool it, and then pay for chemicals to cast it in appropriate material, shape that cast, smooth it, then assemble a toy that probably is going to be defective the first twenty times you perform this whole process, then why not just learn to do it the proper way and sculpt the thing from scratch?

13. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I am well aware Shapeways says their plastic is not up to toy strength. But I know that I nearly TRIED to break my Thuggers when putting them together. With the material I used for them I'm sure a desk toy would be fine. I wouldn't hand it off to a child nor would I think it as solid as molded plastic. But with how much force I used on the material already I am confidant enough in it that I'm at least curious.

14. sh002

sh002 Banned

custom heads custom heads custom heads