Some designs a bit too unimaginative?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by knook, Feb 3, 2009.

1. knook

knook Let the Virus Consume You

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, this isn't one of those "ZOMF WUT HAVE THEY DUN!" kinda threads but merely an observation based on what I've seen. I'm also not complaining about the designs, I like them a lot. It's just that some of them seem a bit less complex than others. Now, I realise that it costs a lot to design a transformer (especially when based on a real vehicle and needs to look like it actually comes from it) but the best example of my point would be the "Steam Shovel" it basically seems like he simply folds out and his arms transform, now although it's a beautiful design it seems somewhat unimaginative, I know that we'll probably get some super-complex transformers that really take your breath away. Also Arcee seems to just stand up (on a wheel) and transform a bit, this is the one I have the biggest problem with, mainly because it seems a bit silly to me but obviously I guess that's down to my own opinion.

I will end on the note that I think it's good we're at least seeing variation in transformers so they don't all basically look and work the same.

I'm interested in hearing your opinions.

2. Deadsled

Deadsled Energon Recovery

News Credits:
    generally combiners will have simpler bot modes to allow for the combining of the larger bot. so, that said, I'm still satisfied with how these are looking so far.

3. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    I can see where you're coming from but I still think its too early to tell at this stage. I've warmed up alot to the Steam Shovel and 1/3 Arcee designs (the latter being the first movie design I've had a huge dislike for from first appearance, and I still think the original Arcee design is vastly superior). Right now we can't take their combining capabilties into account, and that could be a very good reason for the 'simplicity' you're seeing in the toy designs.

4. knook

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If that Long Haul design that we saw is used then he will be very complex and probably even the "main" constructicon

5. Alienbot

Alienbot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Lol, it's better than repaints. I love Scavenger (as I'll call the Excavator from hereon unless it's confirmed to not be his name)'s design, and isn't the point of Arcee is that she's a combiner? The Audi rehashing Barricade doesn't surprise me since he's a 'hi-and-die' character. I am a little concerned over the Frenzyish characters, but I do recall Bay saying in an IESB video interview that he was going to emphasise a lot more 'species' and I guess that's partly by showing similarities.

6. Deadsled

Deadsled Energon Recovery

News Credits:
    i'm pretty sure that was fan-art

7. Alienbot

Alienbot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No, the rumour is Bay saw Josh Nizzi's Long Haul art and hired him to get that design into the film; Nizzi is coincidentally listed on the film's IMDB page (I know) and did covers for the comics.

8. knook

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, it's good to see a fan-creation working its way it. I was really pleased about it because it's the fans who knows what the fans want :p 

9. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

Are you talking about the design of the character models or the design of the trasformation? You seem to be talking about the transformation and I would have to agree with you that I would like more complex transformations myself. Something that takes real engineering expertise to accomplish. Not just pull down the legs, pull out the arms and the head is just painted on the bottom.

However, if you're meaning the designs, then I would have to disagree. I like simple designs. Having lots of wires and metal parts and randomness isn't good. Complexity there is bad because people want to know what they are looking at. Heck, we have people still disagreeing on what things are and thats looking at STILLS of the trailer. If people can't tell from a still shot, there is no way people in the theatre are going to be able to tell in real time in a theatre.

Thats what detracts fromt he movie. You would assume that having a clear, understandable image is something the movie producers would want in their movie.

10. knook

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, I know what you're saying. I was kinda talking about both points though. The one thing that got me was the Steam Shovels "gaps"

11. PeterSkillenUK

PeterSkillenUK Well-Known Member

the toys are always gonne be less comlecated that the film cgi bots but lets see how simple they are when the combine...

12. samtheman

samtheman Well-Known Member

That's basically what I was going to say. I'm waiting to see Devastator before I judge though.

13. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I assume your main examples are the Wheelcon and the Arcee part.

Those are both parts of gestalts. If they were awesome and detailed and all, there really would be no point of looking forward to the gestalt him/herself.

14. phreakybot

phreakybot Well-Known Member

I've noticed that the theme for this latest installment is the "wheels-for-feet bot"

15. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    given that their both combiners and bikes are notoriously a pain in the ass I think their both quite cool and really complexity is not the key to a good toy I can think of a few very complex toys that just disappoint and a few really simple ones that I still take off the shelf every now and then and play with.

now as for a lack of imagination in their designs apart from BM Thrust and BM Rat trap I cant think of any other transformers with wheels for legs and the Constructicon guy if that's not the most unique transformer in that last decade I don't know what is.

16. Radioactive Ravage

Radioactive Ravage Ancient

Personally, I think there's a lot going on in the Excavator's design. Sure, the main arm splits into the two arms, but a lot of shifting goes into making those hands, main chest compartment, etc.

Don't lose faith just yet.

17. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    And we still have people who argue about what colors Frenzy and Rumble are supposed to be. You get any group of people who like the same thing together, and there's gonna be disagreements.

18. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

That isn't related to complexity. People will obviously have differences of opinion. This is in regard to two people looking at one thing and disagreeing upon what they see. It would be like two people looking at a cow, and one calling it a snake and the other calling it a tiger. The designs are so complex and hard to make out that it has no coherence.

This is about just being able to understand what it was that you saw. "Was that an arm?" "Where is his eyes/mouth?" "What exactly is that part supposed to be?"

People did it when they saw "Barricade" transforming. His design was so complex that all you really saw was a whirr of metal. Some people refer to it as "a bunch of moving scrap metal".

I think, in the end, its all about balance. Its my opinion that the movie didn't achieve that balance and it would be nice for things to be a little simpler just so we can understand/enjoy what it is that we're seeing. Kinda like drinking a glass of lemonade really slow so you can savor it instead of gulping it all down at once.

19. Ruthie

Ruthie Well-Known Member

It is way, waaaay to early to tell for sure. I learned from TF1 that pictures and toys do no do justice to the bot designs. When I first saw a picture of movie Ratchet, I hated it. When I saw him in the movie, it was like at first sight and he quickly became my favorite because of how ILM chose to animate the design.