Some computer help

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by terry981, Dec 16, 2011.

1. terry981

terry981 Well-Known Member

If any of you can help me out it be great. Well, I dunno how this happened but my brother was using the computer and it got a virus. I partitioned the computer before this happened and so its C, D and E. I stored most of my downloads or schoolwork on my D and E. ANd I formatted my C drive (OS) after the virus incident.

So everything is working alright now but my D and E drive shows the memory content still allocated and used like 80.4 GB free space out of 120 GB, but there is no physical icon or gui of anything. The drive still reads that memory is being used but I can't see anything. Is there a remedy for this? I hope you are getting me. Once again, memory is being stored as if it remembers what was on the D and E, but there is no image, icon, or files that is visible to the naked eye. Thanks if anyone can help me out cuz it would suck to lose all my school work. Don't care much for my JL or TMNT episodes since I thought about buying it on dvd. But my schoolwork is my memory.

2. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    First, what OS are you using?

3. terry981

Xp

4. Blackout32

Blackout32 Subdivisions

First I would try and go into Administrative tools and then click on COMPUTER MANAGEMENT and then minus ALL the pluses and then look for disk management and see if you can REGAIN the space from their since I am thinking you have a basic understanding of format and partition or F-disk and format CMD's. If that don't work then take a screen shot of what you are seeing and I might be able to help you a little more.

5. terry981

I'll try that out. After some research I think I had a virus that hides files. So I do believe the files are stll there but auto hidden due to the virus. Thanks and I'll let you guys know.

6. TFXProtector

News Credits:
    Okay, before you go into disk management, which can erase everything on the other partitions, let's take a step back.

In XP, you can destroy partitions, but you usually can't create them. (Vista and 7 changed that. NOTE: I said XP usually can't create, but that's not set in stone.)

As long as the partitions weren't changed during the reinstallation of XP, nothing's missing. All of your files and folders are still there.

In disk management, you should be given the option to rename a drive, or give it a drive letter, without formatting and wiping it out. (Usually, you're given the chance to rename a drive letter without affecting the contents on it.)

I don't have XP handy at the moment, so I can't walk you through it, but all hope is not lost. Your files are still there, there's no virus hiding them on your system, things can be fixed.

Hopefully someone else can walk you through it before I can. Just don't do anything rash and don't race off to fix something just yet.

7. terry981

Thanks. Much appreciated.

8. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    Download Unhide.exe, its a common thing with infections now to hide your data

9. terry981

Got me again! I'll let you guys in on what happens or not.

10. TFXProtector

News Credits:
    That can work, but this is one of the reasons why I like separate hard drives instead of partitioned drives. When you get down to it, it's all on one physical drive and if it fails or has a horrendous virus, you're back to square one, anyway.

When I have problems like that, I just backup my stuff, do a full format and wipe and reinstall everything. Takes a lot of time and isn't the most efficient, but I much prefer to have my stuff intact, than to save time and have nothing left.

11. terry981

Thanks guys. Got my info back on my partitioned drives. Just wished I had the time to slave my comp so I would had kept some of my files from the C drive. My USB ports aren't working now. Wonder if my hub blew a fuse or can the malware/virus affect ports as well? Anyways, thanks guys, really appreciated it.

12. TFXProtector

News Credits:
    Eh, most viruses affect software only. I personally don't recall a time where a virus could affect hardware, outside of infecting the BIOS on the motherboard, but that was intentionally done to prove a point in an article long ago.

Anyway, if you think it's the USB hub, plug the items into the PC directly. If the USB ports still aren't working, then you have a problem.

You could have a hardware failure (not tied to the virus, just adding more trouble to your already problematic situation.) or you might not have gotten rid of the virus as you thought you had.

Right-click My Computer, click Properties, click the Hardware tab, and then click Device Manager. Once the box loads, look for yellow exclamation points, if there are any, press the plus sign next to them to expand the tree. It'll show you which items have the exclamation points. Select the device with a problem, one at a time, double click double click it, select the driver tab and inside there is an option to update the driver. If that doesn't work, then your Windows are borked and you need to start over from scratch. Make sure you back up all of your files.

13. terry981

Yeah, I actually did all that with the device manager and stuff. Nada. Everything is working great like I said, but maybe the USB ports finally gave out or something. THe device manager says its working fine. Any recommendations on a anti-virus program?

14. Blackout32

Blackout32 Subdivisions

Well I know I might get alot of slack for this but Norton 360 to me as a tech is the BEST software for anti-virus and firewall support IMHO. On the comments I said about the disk managment I know how I would have done it cause I know what I am doing but TFXProtector explained it a little better for me which I thank him for anyway. Even though its hard for me to type out what to do. I was trying to guide you a little on WHAT could be done and you figure it out for yourself from their.

15. TFXProtector

News Credits:
    How old is the computer? I'm assuming it's quite a few years old, since it's running XP.

If the USB ports were working, let's say Monday, but dead on say... Wednesday, that could be a hardware failure, but I'm almost 99% sure it isn't.

Things haven't worked right since you were infected by the virus. My guess is, you were hit a lot harder than you know. It probably weaved itself all throughout your system.

I recommend Avast! or AVG. Both are free, both work extremely well and both are recommended higher than Norton and other paid services. (No dig towards you, Blackout.)

Have it run a DEEP scan (which could take hours) and do what it asks you to. If there's a virus, it'll find it. If it's one it can't get rid of, it'll try and quarantine it. If it can't, then it's time to salvage what files you can, throw out the rest, wipe the drive and start over from scratch.

And in the future, whomever's responsible for infecting the PC with this virus....beat their asses. This is not something to play with.

16. terry981

Well, guess what? I decided to go to my bios and Voila! It was disabled. The Virus managed to get into bios and do all that crap. Never had that happened before of all my years formatting and partitioning. Well, its over now and I thank the Lord that you guys were able to be of good assistance. Seriously thinking about probably getting a mac now. But thanks for all your time and help, guys. Much appreciated.

Yeah, TFXprotector, I would find the "guys" responsible for making the virus in the first place. Then I preach the gospel to them since I can't repay evil with evil. If they laugh at me, well, they got the Lord to contend with. The Lord is worser than any virus or disease combined.

17. TFXProtector

News Credits:
    Oooh. It got into the BIOS? Are you sure your brother wasn't messing around with settings? I mean, it's possible it was the virus, but you just don't hear of that much these days. Glad to see the hardware issue is fixed.

I would ask you to pause a moment before going shopping for a Mac. If a problem with viruses is one of your main reasons to go and buy a Mac, you're wasting your time.

Macs can get viruses and be hacked. Most hackers and griefers don't do it simply because the Mac OS isn't worth getting that involved in. They've more or less said that.

Macs either have on the level hardware, or subpar hardware, compared to Windows PCs.

You'll pay through the nose for something that's equivalent. (i7, GeForce graphics, etc.) Or if you buy one you can afford, it'll be sporting outdated hardware, or the dreaded Intel Graphics Media Accelerator/Intel HD Graphics.

Just get a good, reliable A/V such as Avast! or AVG. If you're worried the free version won't cut it, pay for a year's subscription. Both are well worth your money. Buy a nice, new computer, put one of those two on it, and save loads of money.

Oh, btw, since you're using XP, which is known to be riddled with security holes, you need to update, frequently. Make sure those updates are up to date. That will help you quite a bit. Use a wired router or direct connection to the modem, if possible. If you must use a Wi-Fi setup, make sure you lock it down, extreme settings if need be.

As for turning the other cheek, I understand where you're coming from. And you're right, vengeance is his. He will do what we cannot. Nice to see another believer/Christian in here. :) 

18. rumsawatti

rumsawatti Dino-bot

You could try system restore back to an earlier date...