Some collecting questions - ehobby, re-issues and KOs etc

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Scooby.Smokescreen, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Scooby.Smokescreen

Scooby.Smokescreen Well-Known Member

I've finished collecting the TFC series of transformers - Jazz is on his way from the US to complete the set.

Now I'd like to get some of the ehobby transformers. I'd like to get all the seekers but include sunstorm and the black/clear ehobby starscreams - but are these genuine or KO? What/who are e-hobby? I also like the alternative re-colours of soudblaster, perceptor etc.

Whats the deal with the gestalt sets? Lots of predacon sets and combaticons etc but again are there many KOs out there. Are they still KOs if they are in the transformers style boxes but with japanese writing? Are all the black primes, black megatrons KO - black zarak looks great.

Finally, these lucky bag transformers - why are they so expensive? 2 or 3 grand because they are gold coloured?

Being in the UK, finding anything for G1s is pretty much ebay only and I tend to buy them from US or Hong Kong.

is there anywhere that gives a history of transformer toys and who made what?

Sorry for the questions. I was going to sell my TFCs once the film came out but I've decided to keep them and collect some more. Just don't want to get stung in the process.

Thanks

2. e3nine

e3nine Poop.

News Credits:
    Don't mind me, but I'll attempt to answer this in pieces.

There are no records of KO'ed, full scale, e-Hobby figures. The only ones that are copied are paint schemes to fit custom WST (World's Smallest Transformers) seekers. These things are tiny, so you can clearly see the difference.

Anything coming out of e-Hobby is 100% authorized by Takara.

e-Hobby (to my knowledge) is a Japanese online store. That's it and that's all. They're just really known for their exclusive repaints.

e-Hobby is a NASTY thing to just pickup and start. Unless you like to bleed money, my gosh man, don't even start.

3. e3nine

e3nine Poop.

News Credits:
    I think you're getting a bit confused with the current state of knock-offs.

type 1: from the 1980's.
    These are easy to spot because they're obvious ... Soundwave will be called "Cassette Man". Even dinobots will have wings.

These aren't easy to find actually.

type 2: from the discount store.
    These are clearly KO's because of their shoddy packaging and horrible stickers.
    [​IMG]

"fighterplnce"? Come on now.

type 3: high quality, reversed engineered.
    These figures are casted by making press molds from originals. (Swoop)
    These can also be created from original presses that were never discarded. (Optimus Prime)
    These can be done from original presses that were never discarded, but from factories previously making toys for Hasbro. These KO's are made without Hasbro's consent ... which they did have previously. (Cyclonus, Ironhide, Seaspray, etc)

If the figure is in a G1 box with Japanese writing, it's most likely legit. You just gotta ask if you're ever unsure. Make sure there's nothing on it that will totally give it away. (Like KO Computron's "LIVING ROBOT (something something)" wording)

There is an eHobby Black Megatron. That's legit.
    [​IMG]

There's also a pre-transformer Black Megatron. That's legit too.
    http://www.geocities.com/futuristgroup/vmegatrons.html

(FYI, eHobby repaints toys on their "pre-transformer" schemes most of the time)

4. Scooby.Smokescreen

Agreed, ehobby ebay prices aren't small. I like the big stuff too - MPs, and big bots like Metroplex and Scorponok.

I just want to collect what appeals to me most - G1. I like the "black" versions. Some of the movie stuff looks cool.

5. e3nine

e3nine Poop.

News Credits:
    Lucky Draw is a Japanese magazine prize exclusive. They're so expensive for many reasons, mostly due to their availability.

The only way you could get these toys is by winning it. You can't go to Toys R Us and buy one on a release day. You have to enter the contest and win.

These figures have such elaborate finishes too. All gold or all chrome depending if you won 1st prize or 2nd prize. Sometimes odd color schemes were the bait.

Prizes were limited in numbers too. Each contest had a different set of winners, but there could only be something like ... (guessing here)

1st = Gold Masterpiece Prime, 5 pieces ever made
    2nd = Chrome Energon Omega Supreme, 10 pieces ever made

etc.

6. rodimusminor

rodimusminor Well-Known Member

I have a full set of the 'e-hobby' reissue seekers (They're not actually e-hobby, they were convention exclusives) for sale. The only real e-hobby seeker is Sunstorm, which I sold my last @ BC'07. If you're really interested in a set, PM me, but I gotta warn you, they aren't cheap.

7. e3nine

e3nine Poop.

News Credits:
    but the only way on the face of the earth to find a reissued Ramjet and Thrust. :drool: 

8. rodimusminor

rodimusminor Well-Known Member

or a proper Thundercracker or Skywarp.

9. e3nine

e3nine Poop.

News Credits:
    :drool:  x2

I'm a huge fan of the eHobby jets. I purchased all of these in 1 week back in October of 2005. I wanted to jump out of a window after getting my next bank statement.
    [​IMG]

never did get Skywarp or TC. : T sad.

10. Scooby.Smokescreen

The above is like the seekers I want to collect.

I've got TFC Starscream and a TRU Skywarp. Got my eye on (supposedly) original Ramjet and Thundercracker at the moment. And I really like Sunstorm - his brief appearance in the DW G1 comic is really cool.

I'd also like the gestalt giftsets. I've just sold my car and the money is burning a fusion cannon sized hole in my pocket. ;) 

Big thanks for the help!