Customs: Some ??? about my 1st time...

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Ruination04, Apr 19, 2007.

1. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I wanna repaint some Classics. What type of paint should I use? What is the best process to do everything so it will look good? Do repainted figures look as good as out of the store, provided that you do good work?? Can they stil be transformed without damaging the paint?
    Since I can't afford Botcon figures, I decided to just make my own Dirge and TC.

EDIT: Just thought...kinda funny thought...in TFGD, I started a thread complaining about white Prime repaints....LOL

2. Thundercracker

Thundercracker Contemptuous

First off, if you go the paint route, use Tamiya only. I used the spraycan type with fantastic results. It has acetone in it that softens the plastic for better adhesion.

For the Seekers, I completely disassemble the plane. The only pins I don't remove is the lower back hinge, landing gear pins, and shoulder pins. Other than those, knock out all the pins. Submerge everything in 91% alcohol to remove the paint apps. The alcohol also serves as a great cleaning agent for the upcoming paint job...

Spray several light thin coats. For Thundercracker for instance, I painted everything blue first except for the feet and arms/fists. For the silver parts, get some modelers tape and mask off the area's that you don't want silver on. Good masking makes all the difference for a slick looking paint job.

As for paint chipping, the Tamiya has held up great. That said, I was careful to mask off areas like the elbows/knees where paint could rub. I've transformed mine a few times and paint chipping has not been an issue for me at least..

There are better painters on here than me, but I'm glad to answer any questions you have via PM if you like. Good luck!

3. TheJacker

TheJacker Banned

read the help thread sticky thing

4. StarFire_MK2

StarFire_MK2 'Till All are One! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Yeah, Tamiya is the best stuff I've used. Krylon Fusion is good too, but doesn't produce as smooth a finish as Tamiya.

5. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    you totally disappointed me after reading your thread title :( 

6. TENIME_art

TENIME_art Ethically Challenged

Ebay:
    :lol 

7. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:

LMFAO

8. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

Oh, thats funny. (Barry White plays in the background...)