Solid Snake demands you see Watchmen a second time

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Omega Supreme-1, Mar 20, 2009.

1. OptimusSolo

OptimusSolo Tournament Master

News Credits:
    I saw it in IMAX and was left wondering why I wasted that 10 bucks. The movie sucked bottom line.

I wouldn't watch it again if someone paid me!! I will be saving my money for Star Trek, Transformers, GI Joe, Wolverine and heck even Land of the Lost before watching that shit again!

2. Ironhide2005

Ironhide2005 PS3tag=DeaDPooLTFW

News Credits:
    Wait gary chalk showed up in the movie? Where?!?!?!?!?

Oh p.s. THis is one of the greatest movies ever WATCH IT!!Also READ IT!!!

3. PyroniusRex

PyroniusRex Banned

News Credits:
    I agree I think somehow they defied the laws of physics and created that movie in about 28 minutes, just like all Disney movies except Pixars.

You mean the sex? Because, that kinda ruined the movie for me along with the costumes being to modern they could have crammed more information into the movie from the comic but nooo, that f***ing director alway pisses me off he thinks he has to add sex in like every movie he makes or people won't wanna see it! Did Spider-Man have sex in it? Nope, but people still wanted to see it! As much as I'd love to see it again I won't it took to long there wasn't enough explanation either.

4. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Except Spider-Man comics don't generally have sex in them at all, wheras Watchmen has sex in all the places the movie does and is the main point of one of the characters.

5. PyroniusRex

PyroniusRex Banned

News Credits:
    Yeah but it wasn't as bad it was in the movie, and it didn't show anything or take up 10 minutes of the comic.

6. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    I just cant believe there's complaints about superhero sex going on here. Ive years, wished that they show something like this to show that superheroes need to get there groove on from time to time.

7. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I saw it twice in 2 days(once normal and once in IMAX)

8. Wing alpha

Wing alpha <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

Im too broke after adquiring a laptop to see it,seriusly.

9. comaface

comaface Crush, kill, destroy

It was half that at most, and most of that wasn't even sex. The actual sex lasted about a minute, tops.

10. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

First off, let me say that I didnt want to see this movie to begin with, and I have no idea what it is about. All I know is that its based off a comic which nobody knew existed until the movie was made.

But the first ad I saw for it on TV looked quite interesting. Somebody was going around killing superheros. Sounds pretty awesome actually. Then the ads took a strange turn. I started seeing ads with some Doctor Horrible looking guy who was far less cool than Neil Patrick Harris. Then here was some orb in an orange sky and a nuke going off and a spaceship/shuttle or something. Then there was an ad with Fidel Castro in front of the Capital Building.

Whatever, I think they just fucked up the marketing on this movie. I think it could have been a success had they kept ads down. All the ads since the first one I saw just shouted at me "HOLY FUCK! LOOK AT THESE AWESOME SUPERHEROS! YOU LIKED BATMAN RIGHT??! WELL THIS MOVIE DOES NOT HAVE BATMAN BUT IT DOES HAVE OWLMAN THATS JUST AS AWESOME RIGHT?! RIGHT??! HOW ABOUT THAT WOMAN FROM KILL BILL WITH THE YELLOW SUIT?? WE HAVE HER IN THE MOVIE TOO!! WELL NOT REALLY, BUT JUST AS AWESOME RIGHT??!? DO YOU LIKE EXPLOSIONS AND PUNCHING?? WE JUST UPDATED THE MOVIE WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS AND PUNCHING!! HOLY SHIT THIS MOVIE MIGHT BE GOING INTO SPACE!! YOU LIKE STAR WARS RIGHT??..."

Then I say, "This movie looks like its trying too hard to be cool but its failing badly, next".

11. comaface

Joke?

12. Gigatron_2005

So not a joke. But you should note that I am talking about people who do not go to things like Comic Con. Average people, you know. Most people know comic books like Superman, Batman, Spiderman, etc.. I expect most normal people to not know the hell a Watchmen is. Not that that is a bad thing. 300 for example were generally liked and did well at the box office from what I remember. Also, note that the comic was made before my time so people my age wont know about it even if it was as big as Star Wars back in its day.

13. funstorm

funstorm Doer of nothing

i dont think he meant the sex scenes. he probabbly meant dr.manhattan's blue junk floatin around.he might be all powerful but aint nobody puttin up with that.

14. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

I think that I've read the comic one too many times to warrant a second viewing. I mean, if it were a story that was fresh to me like TDK or Hellboy 2, then yeah, I could see myself seeing it again. But I felt like there really wasn't anything that I missed on the first viewing since several times I kinda was like, "eh, there is a scene in comic. Oh, there is another. A Sex scene something new. Malin's boobs. Holy shit awesome...no, no, wait go back to the sex scene. Oh, another scene from the comic." Good movie and all, but I'll wait for the DVD.

15. Mechafire

Mechafire Shadow Broker Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    I didn't know the comic existed, I haven't seen the movie, I don't plan to see the movie and telling me to go see it is turning me off even more.

16. comaface

While it is definitely not a household name in the same sense that a Spiderman or a Batman is, there is an awful lot of middle ground between the ubiquity of those properties and something that "nobody knew existed". Given that we are talking about one of the best-selling, if not the best-selling (some claim Death of Superman holds the title) graphic novels of all time, which appeared in lists of Greatest Novels in publications such as Time and Entertainment Weekly, and which sold 1 million copies in 2008 alone despite being first published more than 20 years ago, it is likely that a fair number of people know of its existence (and not just those who attend ComicCon).

As for the fact that it was made a couple decades ago, and so people your age won't know about it... well, it was published the same year that Transformers: The Movie was released, and here you are 20+ years later on a Transformers board. And even if they weren't G1 fans, I think most people who saw the 2007 movie were aware the property existed before that, and I guarantee that a lot more people have read Watchmen than ever went to see the animated Transformers movie. I think it stands to reason that there are at least a decent number of people who are aware of it despite it being before their time. Hell, I was only six when it was made and didn't read it until twelve years after it was published, and I've never been to ComicCon and don't even really care too much about comics in general.

17. iron maniac

iron maniac Help Uncle Sixshot, Help!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    I read The Watchmen off the news-stand when it came out back in the day.
    For those that don't know, Watchmen was a 12 issue maxi-series before DC compiled all 12 issues into a "graphic novel" years later.

I've read Watchmen every couple of years since then whenever I get the itch just because it's a good read.

I don't like the fact that they changed the ending but I understand why they did it. The movie would have had to been a lot longer had they left the original ending and the sub-plot(s) leading up to it, in the movie.

I won't go see it again at the theater but I'll probably rent it. Just because of the fact that I know the story so well already.

18. Gigatron_2005

yea but I grew up on G2 which I found out was just the good seasons of G1 with a CG cube and no toys. So when I rediscovered G1 back in the late 90s Ive been a G1 fan. :) 

Also, I see your point. Its just that in my experience most people did not know about it until the hype train started. Kinda reflects the 2008 numbers too since I know so many people were buying it as soon they heard about the movie.

19. steph1979

steph1979 Banned

Ugh. Rantings like this make me embarrassed to be a comic fan.

For the record, yes, I'm a fan of the book. I think the movie is oookay. I also thought 300 was just okay, not a big fan of Snyder. I think laymen liking this movie is 50/50. The ones who like to be challenge will like it, it's something new to them. The ones who just wanted to have a good time will be like, hey, this is not X-Men!

Now, as fans, why do we really need the movie to be successful? Do we really need pop justification of Watchmen via how well the movie does? It's like we're a bunch of insecure nerds that want the jocks to be like, hey, we get it now! Wow, you were right! (I mean, we don't even need the popularity so that we get a second movie or something; the story is self contained.)

For the effort I'd rather somebody with the voice to encourage reading the original instead. All that enthusiasm for what is ultimately a diluted version of the book. It's not even a great movie with its poor pace and indecisiveness in tone (Hmm, this must be one of those talky movies, oh wait, fight fight fight fuck yeah! Oh, now they're talking again. Yeah! Fight!)

20. llamatron

llamatron OFFICIAL MMC REP TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Can't wait until you absolutely love it to pieces in a few months time.

Hey, it wasn't made by a woman - you have no need to pointlessly hate it!

Don't judge the quality of a film on the wonky marketers who didn't know what to do or how to sell it.

This. This is why we can't have nice things. Ever.

The original rant has some very valid points. A big budget film with this kind of content and tone is literally unheard of. It was a fucking bold balls out move by the studio and you've got to give props. It's a shame that they haven't been rewarded for pushing the limits. Oh well, too soon I guess.