Customs: soldering wire for LED's

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by deathonacracker, Aug 6, 2009.

1. deathonacracker

deathonacracker Decepticrumb

Ebay:
    Hey Radicons, here is my question of the day. i went to Dollar tree and got a ton of those light up tops F_R and Big Hank were talking about. they have an on/off switch and red LED... (cant seem to find cheap blue LED toys though. guess ill just order those!(great suggestion BTW!!!) i also found some $1 light up robots that have everything including the wires FYI.

My question is, does it matter the size of the wire you use to solder to the LEDS/power supply? i went to radio shack and the smallest hook up wire they had was 22-gauge. the one in that light up robot was probably around 30-gauge. very very small. Im assuming it doesn't matter as long as it holds a current.

i believe that's all! i think i have everything to continue my first custom. It's Ravage (how original!) I've taken all the tutorials Ive learned over the past 6 months and decided to try them all on this one figure just to get the hang of it. i redid his head, i added a neck joint, i re-cut and added a bendable tail, i trimmed the back legs to make them more bendable at the knees and am now adding an LED light and THEN custom painting him. the best of all the tutorials in one figure! so far so good. everything I've learned is working almost perfectly. i was very overwhelmed before starting this but it's eased a bit.

thank you all for your help in answering my trillion questions!

2. Zildjian

Zildjian Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  3. deathonacracker

Ebay:
    Awesome man! thanks a bunch! ill order some asap!

urr.. but, i have 3 new spools of 22 gauge... it's actually one solid copper wire and not a bunch of tiny little ones. it still should work shouldn't it? i would hate to have to wait until a delievery of new wire came in. im dying to get this thing to the next step. :cry 

4. David Hingtgen

David Hingtgen Chromaticon

News Credits:
    LEDs have such little power draw that you could probably use a wire as thin as human hair and it'd be fine. (though then you might have to wonder about resistance)

5. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:

True. I use wire wrapping wire, it's about 40 gauge (maybe twice as thick as a human hair).

22 gauge isn't bad per se, but being solid core that thick may pose TF related issues, such as having clearance running circuits and prohibiting moving parts for TFing.

6. Zildjian

Zildjian Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This.... the thinner and more pliable is better.

7. deathonacracker

Ebay:
    well i tried the 22 gauge and it did work BUT, you are all correct. that along with the double ball joint is keeping him for posing the way he should. i ordered some 32 gauge and it should be here in a couple of days. now that i know i can do it, I'm just going to wait and redo it when it arrives. the inside chest needs more room too.

thanks for the suggestions!

8. Hakka

Hakka Well-Known Member

I cut open a 25 core data cable and used those for my LEDs, they are tiny.

Hakka.