Customs: Soldering Help

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Wingsbr, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Wingsbr

Wingsbr Christian TF Fan :)

News Credits:
    Does anyone have any tips on soldering? I want to take some of the Dollar Tree LED whistles and make the lights all blue or all red. I also would like to get some LEDS from a local store that have longer wires on them to solder to this little board that's pretty much premade to expand the possibilities. Any help is appreciated... Thanks

2. jazzman_78

jazzman_78 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Get some 60/40 Tin/Lead solder from the hardware, and a sildering iron. Radio Shack should have some cheap ones if you're not planning on using it much. You'll want a fairly small tip, though, I wouldn't personall go for the flat 'bladed' type from an auto store. Anyhow, the key to good soldering is to have the wire clean first, no dirt, debris, finger oils, etc. Second, heat the wire BEFORE adding the solder. Only a second or two, but don't melt the solder in the iron to let it run onto the wires. Trust me it'll turn out much better that way. Make sure you have a wet sponge or rag handy to keep the hot iron's tip clean. Don't burn anything down.

3. jazzman_78

jazzman_78 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Get some 60/40 Tin/Lead solder from the hardware, and a sildering iron. Radio Shack should have some cheap ones if you're not planning on using it much. You'll want a fairly small tip, though, I wouldn't personall go for the flat 'bladed' type from an auto store. Anyhow, the key to good soldering is to have the wire clean first, no dirt, debris, finger oils, etc. Second, heat the wire BEFORE adding the solder. Only a second or two, but don't melt the solder in the iron to let it run onto the wires. Trust me it'll turn out much better that way. Make sure you have a wet sponge or rag handy to keep the hot iron's tip clean. Don't burn anything down.