Software Restrictions In Windows Vista

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Joe Moore, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Check out this site to see a list of some of the more disturbing things Microsoft has wrapped into Windows Vista.

http://wendy.seltzer.org/blog/archives/2006/10/19/forbidding_vistas_windows_licensing_disserves_the_user.html

My personal favorite is that they can invalidate your software at any time if you aren't connected to the net, or if your connection fails when it tries to validate.

2. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

Well that's a kick to the groin.

3. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Sounds like a nightmare. I no longer have ANY want to upgrade. XP forever!

EDIT: From everything I've been hearing, Vista isn't so much an upgrade, as it is an attempt to lock down every computer it's on from doing anything that's fun, and being able to screw up your shit if it feels the need.

Pretty interface? Whoop-dee-do.

4. QuantumShock

QuantumShock Stay for brunch ?

News Credits:
    Even Halo 2 dangling in front of me I still won't buy it.

5. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    It's really just a product of today's society. Companies like Microsoft, and industries like the recording and movie industries, are really out for control. Control of how you give them your money. Microsoft is giving unbelievable control to those 2 industries. It's really getting nasty and to a point where some companies destroy their own products just to please them. They do all this in the name of stopping piracy, but stuff like DRM hurts the consumers and not the software pirates. Software pirates can crack any DRM in less than 1 week. So pirates keep pirating and consumers keep getting bent over a table.

Its really going to suck for people like PC gamers who are going to be forced to upgrade to Vista to play their games, and be stuck with a licensing nightmare of a system.

6. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

If things continue on in PC gaming as they have been, there won't be any PC games worth bothering with.

7. skywarp

skywarp The extra Autobot

Just another nail in microshafts coffin.

The line for star wars works great here. " the harder you squeeze your fingers the more will slip on through".

The point of the restrictions is not the legal user. But the person in asia or rusuia, or any were else that sells pirated copies. If they can get a few percent of those lost sales. Then my might make out. The trade off is that they will lose some honest consumers. Which will go to Apple or unix.

I only hope M$ is happy with this.

8. Zero Prime

Zero Prime Windows user no more

This is why I'm going to stick with my vista transformation pack. I get the good looks with out the BS.

9. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Does it make a huge difference? What's it like?

10. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

LOLZ.

Points 1 and 6 are already in the Windows XP EULA.

Point 2 is being cherry picked by the blogger. The actual full text of the EULA is pretty much just describing what has already been implemented in thier current platforms with WGA. The only thing there that is really new is that they reserve the right to deactivate your software if it fails a completed validation check.

Point 3 is already in the Server 2003 EULA and use of such features is up to the copyright holder. Microsoft just put it there to meet media industry demand and to ensure that thier platforms arn't going to loose any potential business from them. Whine about the companies that are actually going to use it, who might not even have made the content available at all without such measures.

Point 4 is far too vauge to make any real comment on until its actually put into action.

Point 5 is actually a new entry if this is a Retail EULA, but machine transfer limitations are nothing new to OEM licences. It's a pain in the neck, but not a universal travesty since it'll only effect a small number of people.

I could go on to laugth at the folks who think that Vista is just XP with DRM and a new GUI, but I really can't be arsed at the moment.

11. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Go right ahead and laugh. What can it do that I, the "typical" home computer user, can't do with XP? I don't need to network anything major, I don't develop or create anything, basically I just use my home computer for internet, games, and music.

Other than them forcing me to upgrade to play games and whatnot, why shouldn't I think of Vista any other way?

12. Mr. Jiggles

Mr. Jiggles loves your mother.

[​IMG]

13. TILALLR1

TILALLR1 'Til All Are One

Vista is starting to sound like Windows ME to me. The red headed step child of Microsoft. Watch the sales drop and SP1 get rid of all this authentication crap.

P.S. Microsoft, this won't stop hackers from reverse engineering the code to have no authentication and still use your software. Guarenteed Vista will be cracked within hours of launch. If its not already.

14. RabidYak

So XP being satisfactory for your needs is a solid basis for claiming that an almost entirely new codebase and architecture is nothing but the old one with more DRM and GUI?

Can we at least argue apples with apples and oranges with oranges here, do you want to debate end user experience or what the operating system actually is?

So do you think that making DX10 Vista-only is just a way to screw people out of money, or did it occur to you that the new architecture is the facilitator for much of DX10's increased capabilities over DX9 and that such things may be impossible or highly impractical to implement in XP? What about Microsoft's drive to streamline gaming development and further standardize feature sets across video hardware, is that a scam as well?

15. Nerd Bomber

Nerd Bomber Consulting your needs

Sometimes I use my laptop frequently without using the net. I hope this isn't going to disrupt my activities too much if I upgrade. If you fail one check because you're not online then connect to the net can it re-check and reenable the disabled features?

16. TILALLR1

TILALLR1 'Til All Are One

I wouldn't worry about that. If they programmed it intelligently it will only run a check each and everytime you hook up to the internet. Otherwise this will be the shortest lived Microsoft O/S in history. No one is going the buy it with laptops, I will tell you that.

17. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

Think I'll stick with XP for awhile

18. RabidYak

The EULA doesent actually say that the validation is any more then what your already getting on XP with WGA or that your copy of Vista will definatly be deactivated, thats come from the linked article.

Even if that is the case, then I should imagine that you can do that. Locked XP installations will still contact Microsoft over the net for activation or let you do it over the phone.

19. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I never claimed that's all it was. You came up with that. What I was trying to say was it may as well be for all I need or care. Everything I've seen about Vista as far as "advanced features" goes doesn't mean squat to me at the present time.

As far as DX10 goes, yeah, I'm sure it will be needed someday, so you got me there.

20. RabidYak

No problem then, the way you replied directly to that comment made me think that you were.