SOCOM Fireteam bravo 3

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by DaggersRage, Feb 19, 2010.

1. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

Hiya guys!

I know that there's not many PSP gamers and maybe fewer SOCOM fans (that or Im wrong and deserved to be punched in the nose.... dont punch me in the nose).

Anywho, the latest PSP entry from SOCOM is Fireteam Bravo 3 and duuuuuyam it's the smoothest running 3D game I've seen on the PSP yet. Looks great too. I'd suggest just downloading a demo if you want to see another fine example of what the PSP can manage.

As a quick summary, SOCOM Fireteam Bravo 3 is a tactical third person shooter. So what does that mean? You shoot bad guys and get to boss people around and get to choose your weapon loadout before going onto a mission. Lotta options for you to have on those weapons too, you can attach different scopes, add laser sights, add grenade launchers or shotguns. If you familar with SOCOM, it's the same thing, except I think this time that the different accessories have a better description their use, you can see stat differences when you equip silencer A to silencer B.

The gameplay is pretty solid. You can adjust from different stances, and one of my favorate tiny details is when you crouching behind cover, you lock onto an enemy (more of that later) and your character will automatically adjust his stance so he can fire over it. The squad mate AI is also very slick. My team has finished gun fights where I hardly squeezed off a few shots and their reactions are excellent when they need to breach and clear a room. They arnt too perfect though, otherwise they steal the show from you and my team mates have been slaughted because I gave them an order that was too risky, I overestimated their percision and had to fight off enemies solo while reviving my squad. I would have to compare my squade mate's effectiveness to that of Republic Commando, they get their jobs down with a body count, but still rely on your decision making and reaction. Unlike the last 2 Fireteam Bravo games, instead of carring med kits and a health bar, you and your squad have rengerating health. It regins fairly quick for your squadmates (who stay down in cover by the way if they're taking too much heat) but it recovers slowly for you. If a squad mate is down, you or your other squadmates can revive him, if you go down, mission over. The enemy AI doesnt coordinate as well as you and your team do, but there are many of them and they are excellent shows, if they catch you in the open most of their shots will hit and it'll hurt.

If you're familar with the previous fireteam bravo controls, they're the exact same. Opinions may vary, but when I first heard about that, it was bad news for me and I was actually tempted to not by the game. Here's how they work, the analogue stuck makes your character move forward/backward, and TURN left/right. If you want to walk left and right, you need to hold down the left trigger. If you encounter an enemy, you hold down the right trigger to lock onto him, when then changes the analogue control to where left/right now makes your character move left and right, instead of turning. If multiple enemies are around, you can tap the left trigger to cycle enemies Complex sounding yet? X button then fire your weapon. Almost each button in this game has a double purpose, you tap a button for 1 effect, and hold it down for a 2nd effect. Unlike the previous SOCOM games though, the game flashes a red X to tell you if your shot has hit the enemy or not. I felt that the previous 2 games lock on feature was almost worthless because I thought my shots where missing (maybe they wernt). The autolock this time is also more perceise. If you target an enemy who is behind cover, you obviously miss, but if he moves over to shoot, your shots will then register, just dont forget to fire in tight bursts, bullets still spread out.

I got to sample some of the multiplayer as well, and things went by pretty smooth. I had a 16 player battle with little notice to lag. If there's one thing I have to bitch about, is using grenade launchers. There was a pair of marksmen hiding up on the 2nd story of some busted castle, I switched to the grenade launcher but there wasnt any to lock onto them. I had to press up on the D pad to manually aim and then fire... Cept I never fired, it took me too long to first select the grenade launcher, then aim, I got shot gewd. I havent explored most of the game modes yet, but the game features a 4 player co-op, I wish I could find a microphone for my PSP to make for some awsome gaming.

TLDR, awsome game once you get use to the controls.

2. geerave

geerave Well-Known Member

if it had the control style from resistance, i would give it a look, but now i cant go back to the old socom style.

3. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, I have the demo, and the coop looks awesome. But I have to relearn those controls.

4. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

So, I got to play more of the game, both online and offline.

The Co-op is very cool, my experience though with the co-op.... Not very cool. You play co-op just like how you would single player, but your squadmates are other players, pretty basic stuff. Everyone can revive each other if they get shot and everyone can equip any weapon of their choice.

This can be pretty fun and I find the campaign very intense. The group that I played with I wasnt very fond of. Everyone else had a microphone except me, so whenever things went bad, I was the one they would blame because they assumed I wasnt listening, or being a team player. On one of the maps, one of our team mates wanted to find all the optional intel objectives (pick them, get more points, etc...). I knew the location of one and they where like "WTF is that guy doing?!". They didnt notice that they got a bonus. After that, they all moved together into the middle of the a court yard to take on the enemy at close range. I stayed back, taking the high ground giving some mean cover fire. They still bitch that I'm not a team player, yet they dont notice the 10 dead guys at their feet. I ditched the group when they wanted to do things stealthy, I happen to equip a Desert Eagle (not silencer compatible) but I stayed back to let them do what they want. One of them fucked up and got noticed and the enemy open fired full auto. Well they screwed up, so I shot the guy that was shooting up the squad. They then bitched that I bothced the mission and question why dont I have a silencer. Blah.

I'm loving the multiplayer in this too. 16 players all going at each other is pretty crazy, I still havent explored most of the different game modes yet, most people just want to do team death-match. The online play goes by very smooth, and like I said earlier, there's little notice to lag. I just now need to practice my headshot skillz.