Minor/Repaint: "So you've found my laboratory Mr. Beat..."

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by SmokedToast, Dec 11, 2009.

1. SmokedToast

SmokedToast Well-Known Member

Something I worked on for a week last year then finally finished today after finding the figure and paints again...
    Moving up from his hydro weapons of old, Deluge has become more then a wannabee mad scientist. This has especially become clear as a result of his exposure to Nucleon energy, causing him to develop the odd and disturbing toxic chemical secretion abilities that plague him to this day.
    As a result of this side effect, Deluge has been forced to set up underground laboraties under swamps, often leaving the area with legends of 'ghost derelict racers' and mutation phenonenom in the area. If anything, he has become more unhinged due to his new powers tending to taint his former projects of hydro-death.

Originally I went with this character because I figured if anything, his mad scientist past could be used to explain any problems I had with painting. After applying the last few paints, it occured to me that it appeared like his frame was secreting stuff which led to the final product. :) 

Opinions, suggestions on how I could possibly touch it up?
    Oh, and it was done in FolkArt Acrylics. :) 

Attached Files:

2. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    Wish we had some clearer pcitures, but I'm always happy to see some G2 goodness, and had you not TOLD US that the back story was chosen partly to obfuscate any paint-issues, I would have totally bought the paint-technique as an intentional choice ;) 

He does look like he's oozing noxious crap :lol 

D/L

3. VestigialHeart1

VestigialHeart1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He was one of my favorite toys as a kid. I might have to copy your idea. I totally forgot about him. Great work!!! All he needs is a squirt gun!!

4. Tom_Servo

Tom_Servo Well-read chick magnet

Ebay:
    It's a good idea, and I'm glad that you pointed this character out to me. I'd never heard of Deluge before. I looked him up and he's a cool character!
    You've got a few issues going on with the paint. Folkart paints are designed for fabrics, ceramics and wood. You'd be much better off with proper model paint. Testors is the easiest to find, but it's not my favorite, because the solvents can interact with some plastics and cause it to not dry. Or at least dry really slowly. I like Tamiya Color.
    That said, you can get away with using craft paints, but you have to do it the right way. The first step is to clean and sand the part with a fine grit paper- 300 and above grit. The higher the number the finer the grit. Next, you need to thin your paint and build it up with thin layers. It takes patience, but acrylics dry pretty fast. A good trick is to set the piece under a desk lamp.
    If you want to paint a lighter color over a darker you have to prime it with white. Spray paints are excellent for priming, but any flat white will do. If you can't find a flat white, use regular white and sand it. You should really sand between all layers of paint, but you can sometimes get away with not.
    I'm very impatient, so I like to use spray paint on as many parts as possible. Masking tape is your friend with spray paint. You just pop the figure apart, mask what you don't want painted, and spray away. Let dry and flip it over and repeat. Just read your can's instructions carefully. Stay back at least fifteen inches and let the spray hit as a mist. This will also require the building up of several thin layers, but it's way faster than acrylic.
    I hope that helps.

5. Kevinisprime

Kevinisprime Maximal Pretender

Deluge.... O__O love it.