So you want an HD Video Camera, but you're poor like me?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Prowl, Jun 13, 2008.

1. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Gas prices are not getting any lower, and Smasher and Twin Twist are not getting any closer to looking like David Hasselhoff. So shit like fancy Video Cameras are the last thing on anyone's mind.... Or are they (cue suspenseful music)

Last weekend I was strolling through Wal-Mart looking for TF Animated, and I stumbled upon this little camera. I didn't want to post about it until I got a good run with it...

Basically, this little Digital Camcorder Records and puts out 1080P Video, and is downgradable down to 720P (30FPS)(60FPS). When I read it, I was waiting for the fine print, and or the compromising factor for why this camera was only $200, and the 720P model only $140.

There is a Compromise, but it is not a huge one.

I brought this thing to work and played around with it. Shot some footage outside in 1080p and brought it into my editor. I could not believe the image that this little shit was pumping out. True Reds and Greens, Gravel on the ground, texture on the car tires, and detail on a tree trunk all in 1080P.

To make things even cooler, the camera also dubs as a Still Camera with up to 8 Megapixels, and the images are just as pristine and colorful.

Furthermore, the camera takes SD cards for up to 32 Gigs, and everything you record comes in Quicktime MOV format for you Final Cut editors.

And to make things even more juicy, it has an input for outside sources, so I can back up all my stupid Highschool movies into an automatic Quicktime format by plugging my VHS player to it and pressing record.

Finally....Optical zoom, not that cheap digital zoom.

The bad side is this... It has no option for external mic (boom or anything like that), just it's own mic, so if you want to shoot a movie you'll need an separate audio capture source. The other issue it has is that sometimes with too much motion in 1080p, you do get some pixelization, but it really is not that bad (not when you are saving up to 1000-50,000 bucks. And if you switch to 60FPS on 720P you lose a lot of that pixilization.

The 200 Dollar Model comes with a small (almost cute) tripod, and a wireless remote.

I wish I could post some of the videos I shot, but I'm not sure where I can post 1080P videos.

Anyway, here is the link to the camera's site. Walmart has the 200 dollar model, though I haven't seen the cheaper ones there.

http://www.aiptek.com/

Here are some pics I took with it, scaled down, but you get the picture. The HD video looks this good, but in motion.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Nutcrusher

Nutcrusher Decepticon

News Credits:
    Hmmm. I still have my doubts about Taiwanese designed products. But 1080p eh? Why not use those free file uploading sites to host your vid. I mean, it's a bit of a hassle but if you want to show your camera off... :D 

3. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well I thought about that, but I didn't know Youtube supported HD. Oh I almost forgot to mention another kinda bad thing. No manual focus. But most cameras this size don't have manual focus.

See, I have never even heard of these assholes before either, but at 200 bucks, when I don't have the budget for a 1000-50,000 HD cam, I had to try it.

Edit... ok I am going to try to put something up, but we'll see if it works, and I'm pretty sure it won't completely reflect what I am looking at in 1080p on my machine. It's probably compressed down some.

4. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Here si the one I bought:

Sanyo Xacti HD1

I've made a few DVD's with it, as well as some HD quicktime movies. I have been very happy with the quality and the battery life. The Digital still camera leaves a lot to be desired, but that's why I have a dedicated Digicam for my photography.

5. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That one is very slick.

I was looking at that one after I bought this one to see what the competitors were doing. How is the audio on that one? That's one place where this one isn't all that great. I told some of the sales people in my old station that I could shoot commercials for them, but if there is talking heads that I would need to record them with another piece of equipment. We'll see how it goes. But I did enough test runs to think that I can get away with shooting and editing a spot with it.

There is also this one http://www.amazon.com/JAZZ®-ELITE-H...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1213382507&sr=1-1
    This one is 150 bucks but there is a 100 buck one at Wal Mart that supports 720. I tried this one, and it ain't horrible for 100 bucks, but I definitely noticed the difference between that one and my new one.

6. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

Yeah it's funny, cause I'm actually selling some stuff off in order to get this very camera. I caught a review of it on gizmodo and loved it. Lots of good user reviews.

7. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    the tiny ass microphone is surprisingly effective. I filmed an entire presentation at a local aquarium and even when I wasn't pointing the camera at the person speaking, it picked up everything. Very clear and crisp. I do believe I can hook an external microphone if needed, I can double check.