So, Wrath of Khan.....

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Emperor Mengde, Jun 2, 2008.

1. GW_Freak

GW_Freak Banned

Kahn has been and always shall be the end all and be all of Trek Movies for me.

2. Misatokitty

Misatokitty The Major

Ebay:
    Date of the first warp flight by Cochrane was wrong by about two years, and let's face it, while many might malign Voyager as the death of the near-invincible Borg from TNG, it really started in this movie, along with a reboot and retool of the Borg race completely.

It's also been pointed out Cochrane shouldn't have been as old as he was, but I think that his youth in The Companion was more due to the alien than him actually being young when he disappeared.

If you really want to get picky, there's lots more you could pick up on. Tech-wise, as far as I know, there's no way the Phoenix could be a modified Titan missile and make it into orbit and STILL have enough room in the final stage for that ship, and let's face it... as I often ask... how do you land an unarmoured missile? The Phoenix is unprotected by heat tiles or anything... and nearly everything seems to be scavenged from the late 20th-early 21st century, there's no mention of much that would be of assistance in landing a missile with nothing to protect it from re-entry... and nothing visually on the model to suggest it, either. But eh... as I said, you can get really picky with it.

3. Mister D

Mister D Bloosh Compatible

Let's not forget the whole "don't screw with the timeline" directive of other Trek shows (instead, let's tell the famous man all about his legend!).

There's the silliness of the Borg resorting to time travel in the first place. Why then, both attacking a starfleet at full strength? Why not just go back in time in the first place?

And why did they spend such an inordinate amount of time on Lily, while neglecting a good part of the TNG cast? Totally wasted character.

It's also admirable the way they kept underscoring Picard's revenge motiff- in big neon letters- by constantly alluding to Melville. If it worked in Kahn, it must work in ALL the movies!

The Enterprise crew are in the fight of their lives... so let's have the away team take time to party and sightsee while on the surface!

I still maintain everything post Trek 4 was severly hurt by 4's success - there was a mandate that there be ample humor in every film after that.

I recall Shatner talking about Trek 5 way back when, and how it was pitched as terrorists hijacking the Enterprise to search for God, and Paramount asked "but will it be funny?"

Just think about all the Trek films, and realize that question likely followed every damn pitch.

"It's about the collapse of the Klingon empire and Kirk's prejudice!"
    "But will it be funny?"

"It's about Kirk and Picard coming to terms with their mortality."
    "But will it be funny?"

"The most dangerous race ever in Trek's history invades the Earth!"
    "But will it be funny?"

"It's about the search for eternal youth!"
    "But will it be funny?"

"Its about the fall of the Romulan Empire."
    "But will it be funny?"

Other than Insurrection, which COULD have been handled in a lighter tone, I think all the films were harmed by what was very often forced and out-of-place humor- some (Final Frontier, Generations) more than others.

4. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

I wont fault you for your likes.

May I ask what you guys mean???

How do you figure????

Aside from the Animated series and stories told in comics and Novels the exact date of First Contact with the Vulcans had never officially been stated before the Movie:First Contact....unless I'm forgetting something.

And Paramonts official policy on Star Trek is that "if its not live action its not canon."

I believe that Cochrane himself said that the Companion restored his youth.

I have no reply to that.

5. rattrap007

rattrap007 One meme mutha f’er TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I love The Voyage home because of Checkov going around asking for "nuclear wessels" that and Kirk trying to use profanity.

6. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    I've liked most of the Trek films. The Motion Picture is really the only one I've ever completely disliked. Usually there's only one or two things in a Trek movie I don't like. The TNG movies have more issues than the older movies, but it's still not anything major.

Generations was pretty good. I just wasn't too fond of the way in which Kirk died. It just looked weird.

The only thing I hated about First Contact was destroying the Defiant just so Worf would be back on the Enterprise. That was just stupid.

Insurrection was ok. My biggest complaint is that it seemed more like just an episode of TNG as opposed to a movie.

Nemesis was cool. I had no problem with them trying to make another WoK. They just shouldn't have made it so transparent. Particularly when they used the "Kirk" maneuver.

I'm really excited about the new movie, but I'm also sad that we never got a DS9 movie. It was set up perfectly for one, too.

7. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

I hate that film too.

I liked this film too but I felt that Kirks death was cheap.

Uhhhhh.....The Defiant was never destroyed in First Contact.It was just disabled.

Felt the same.

Agreed

Again I feel the same.

8. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Guess I got it confused with when the first Defiant got destroyed. Still, it was pretty dumb.

9. Sparky Prime

Sparky Prime Well-Known Member

First Defiant? Sisko did say the Defiant was built to be a warship, specifically to fight the Borg in the event they attacked again. It only makes sense that the Defiant would be there. Not to mention was an easy way to bring Worf into the movie.

10. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I liked Insurrection. A lot more than Nemesis.

Hmm. My favourites are..

ST6:TUC
    ST2:TWOK
    ST4:TVH
    ST8:FC
    ST9:Ins Insurections main failing is it feels like an extended TV episode. But story wise its definitely better than a lot of the others.

11. Misatokitty

Misatokitty The Major

Ebay:
    My griping about First Contact aside, I enjoyed that film more than I did a lot of the other TNG-only movies. I enjoyed Nemesis about the same level, if not a little more, but it didn't have the ships in it that FC did (I love the starships, I really, really do, and starships fighting equals win for me) and so dipped out in that, even if it had the far superior space battle.

The other ones I've loved... Undiscovered Country is awesome. Kahn is good. Voyage Home is brilliant. The one I really like that no one else seems to is STV... yes, it has that horrible fan dance, but the movie itself feels a lot more real and grounded than the others. I know a lot got cut from the end that would have made it make a bit more sense or have some more drama, but eh, budget happens. It was still enjoyable enough for me.

12. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

I always thought First Contact was the best Next Generation film.

Voyage Home was my favorite original cast movie, even if it wasn't the "best" one.

13. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    wrath of khan < wrath of KA

14. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

wrath of KA < The Search for Smang

15. Boardwise

Boardwise There are no strings on me Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yup, The Undiscovered Country.

Khan was good, but The Undiscovered Coutry just beats it in my opinion, with First Contact and The Voyage Home coming in close behind them.

And this has what to do with the topic at hand?
    Nothing, so either post something on topic or don't bother posting at all.

16. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

You mean Sisko's Defiant right?????That ship was destroyed in the last season of DS9 but that ship was not the first to go by the name Defiant.

Exactly.

17. Misatokitty

Misatokitty The Major

Ebay:
    No, but most people either don't know or don't care about the Constitution-class vessel. It was in 2-3 episodes (Tholian Web and the Enterprise mirror universe 2-parter). Not exactly a starring role. Generally when people refer to the Defiant, they mean the Defiant-class pathfinder, yes. Or the Sao Paulo for the last few eps of DS9.

18. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    If you wanna get technical, that probably wasn't the first Defiant, either. :p 

19. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

If your talking technicaly in Star Trek it was.

No other Starfleet ship has bore the name Defiant. The first to bear the name was a Constitution-class and the other three were Defiant-class starships ....there were no others.

But that kind of thing is always changing with prequels and such.

Now the real world or the world of other fiction is a different matter.

20. Misatokitty

Misatokitty The Major

Ebay:
    Three? I only count two Defiant-class ships with the name Defiant... Defiant, and the renamed Sao Paulo or Paolo or whatever from the last couple of episodes (which reused stock footage of the NX-Defiant and so had the wrong registry number in a number of scenes, the cads). Where was the third?

As to the Constitution, it's the first we saw. Doesn't mean it was the first. The -[X] registry additions may only have come in with the Constitution refits, we never saw any before, and it could be pointed out the original Constitution Enterprise should have been the 1701-A if it existed before then. I suspect, as the Navy here seems to do, from the pre-Enterprise era up until somewhere approaching the 2280's, they didn't use the addition to the registry to delineate an already-used name - we certainly didn't see it previously in anything.

Now, the boring answer is: it's because until Voyage Home and TNG, there was no need to differentiate between Enterprises, so they never renamed them. Hell, even the two Saratoga's (ST IV and DS9: The Emissary) had two different registries instead of 1867 and 1867-A... both were the same class, even, just different sub-types within the class. So there very well could be another Defiant prior to the Constitution-class vessel.