So, Wrath of Khan.....

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Emperor Mengde, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Emperor Mengde

Emperor Mengde Instrumentalist

I'll probably be disowned by the fandom for this, but I always thought The Undiscovered Country was better than Wrath of Khan (though I do love Wrath of Khan immensely). Also, I wrather liked Insurrection....First Contact didn't do much for me because of its supreme continuity rape. Not that that's anything new for Star Trek. Then again, Picard Tommy gunning down the Borg is pretty badass.

2. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    was the best out of the Star Trek original crew movies, but what do you think about the Next generation crew? I personally like First Contact out those bunch.

3. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

TUDC is better than most Trek films, but its still filled with a lot of stupid crap.

Really, outside 2,3,4, there just isn't much to admire.

4. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    First Contact was the best TNG film, but The Voyage Home is my favorite, despite the pseudo-science time traveling.

5. grayman

grayman The Alpha and The Omega TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I like both, but my favorite of the original crew is The Undiscovered Country. I think that people prefer The Wrath of Khan because it has wider appeal. You don't have to be a Star Trek fan or a major geek to enjoy it. However, for a fan of all Treks the Undiscovered Country shows the characters at their best in a more epic story with the heart of Star Trek, a hope for a better tomorrow, at the heart of the movie. as for the The Next Generation crew, First Contact did mess with continuity a bit, but on it's own it is such a great film that none of the others compare to it.

6. Kando

Kando Well-Known Member

I don't like Wrath of Khan that much.

Yeah, I said it.

I favor The Voyage Home and Undiscovered Country more.

7. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

2 best ST movies are Wrath of Khan and Search for Spock.

[/end discussion]

8. Zathras

Zathras Vive le Quebec Libre

For me, The Undiscovered Country is the best of the TOS Era. I'd rate The voyage home, The Search for Spock and Wrath of Khan in that order next. The Motion Picture and ST : V are just a very distant memory i'm trying to forget even exists

As far as the TNG movies... First Contact, followed by Generations, Nemesis and then Insurrection.

I wish we could get a new movie with characters from TNG, DS9, Voy.

These are the characters I'd like to appear
    TNG : Riker, Troi, Geordi, Worf, Ro Laren and a cameo of Picard.
    DS9 : Sisko, Kira, Odo, Bashir, O'Brien, Quark, Ezri, Nog
    VOY : Paris, Torres, Kim, Chakotay, The Doctor

9. Brandon

Brandon This is important work.

Wrath of Khan was always my favorite 'Trek film. Always thought the original episode with Khan was always kind of cool as well.

10. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

My favorite is the one where George Takei saves Kirk's ass with the Excelsior. I think that was 6?

11. pinoy78

pinoy78 Shoji Kawamori having FUN

My top five.

1. TWOK
    2. FC
    3. TUC
    4. TVH
    5. NEM

12. Belgrath

Belgrath Boom! Nutshot!

1- The Wrath of Khan
    2- First Contact
    3- Undiscovered Country
    4- Generations
    5- Nemesis

13. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    aside from the blooper in which Khan remembers Chekov- who wasn't on the episode with Khan back then- i love TWOK.
    STtMP was looooooooooooong winded psychobabble. and after that, the movies got cheesier.
    number 5 still gives me the hives, but not just because it sucked. back when they were planning to do the first star trek movie, they went to the big guns of sci-fi to write the sceenplay and Harlan Ellison was asked, "What's the most outrageous story for the Enterprise?" he said, "let them meet god."
    they laughed and said no way would it work. and lo, behold, spock's brother kidnaps the crew to look for a vulcan idea of god.

at the beginning of First Contact, with all the starfleet ships dogfighting the Borg, that was basically a geek version of a lap dance. been dying to see an epic Starfleet slugfest like that.

14. Emperor Mengde

Emperor Mengde Instrumentalist

Whoa, did I say Insurrection? I meant Nemesis, although I didn't have quite the level of hate for Insurrection as many others did, I still liked Nemesis better.

15. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    Wrath of Kahn was a good movie. No other star trek movie has been a good movie.

The only reason I love First Contact is because I am a star trek nerd. It, along with every other movie that was not Wrath of Kahn, was a bad movie.

16. atlianz

atlianz TFW2005 Supporter

My favorite is probably The Voyage Home because of the nostalgia.
    I remember seeing it in the theaters way back when.

17. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think I liked Undiscovered Country the most of the original crew and actually above TNG movies. However, I still have not seen Nemesis, and I am actually waiting to finish rewatching all TNG season DVDs (in season 5 now) before I do.

As far as Wrath of Khan goes, I think it was such a huge leap from the first Star Trek movie that its more fondly remembered then other follow-ups.

18. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

Sorry, that excuse may have flown at the time but it's been 25 years now. Most fans have moved on from "the moment" opinions and been able to fairly evaluate the films on their own. 3 was widely maligned because it followed 2, but is now held as one of the better films. 6 was widely praised in large part because it followed Trek 5. TMP has actually improved in stature following the anemic TNG films.

19. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was referring to the initial fandom for when it was released. Like it or not, those impressions stay with you. Either way, take that "excuse" and use it wherever it does hold up and don't when it doesn't. I still say it was better then the first by far, and probably better then 3, 5, Generations, and Insurrection. I would say the story was better then 4, but 4 still stands out to me as being really entertaining.

20. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

Aside from the way that Defiant was treated, I don't recall First Contact having any major continuity errors.

As for massive space-fights, I think that a number of the later DS9 episodes outdid First Contact and Nemesis.

I don't hold out much hope for the new movie - even if it's really good, people don't seem to like science fiction much anymore. They'd rather watch yet another 'romantic comedy'. But the Titan novels are pretty good.