So will YOU listen to the critics after seeing DOTM?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by transformervic1, Apr 2, 2011.

1. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Having some movie reviews is always handy when people start up something about how every man, women and child on the face of the Earth love some Transformers movie with all their heart. Just so fun to watch them rage when someone differs with their opinion of the film.

2. Krueger

Krueger Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That works both ways, of course.

3. lightdestroyed

lightdestroyed Stronger than all!

I'm not cycling through every page of this, but wouldn't be logical for one to read and agree with a review BEFORE seeing a movie?

4. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    You could, sometimes I read a review and think 'Nah, this guy's just full of shit. I'll see for myself". I've occasionally had to walk back to that review and agree with every word written. The contrary nature comes out the more smug and smart-arse the writing of the review gets; it looks less like competent (if subjective) critique and more like smug posturing.

It's probably easier to go out, see the movie, and then read every review you can get your hands on to see if what you liked/did not like is a common complaint or not.

5. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Yes it's very fun to watch both sides rage. But it seems that it's different things to make that side rage because for some odd reason people don't want to look up the positive critical reviews of these movies.

6. Dran0n

Dran0n miss me w/ that

News Credits:
    No.

I walked out of ROTF thinking "Robo balls? Megan can't shit. Another Allspark fragment? Man, Leo was silly. So was Wheelie. And the Twins. And the dickhead guy that got ejected. This could have been better. I need to buy some Twins.

I will listen to the critics, and form an opinion on a movie using those opinions and trailers. Give me "ZMOG FOURM UR OWN OPENION".

I will make an exception ... Transformers, Star Wars, etc.

7. xion14

xion14 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The first life movie was decent and with me liking TFs I'm willing to watch it more times. ROTF was Horrid. It's not the worst movie made but its still bad.

What Makes it even Funnier is that Michal Bay himself said ROTF Sucked. :) 

8. jaws

jaws Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I never listen to movie critics.

9. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I'll read their reviews of it, but I'm still going to see it at midnight.

10. vektsilver

vektsilver Transorganic member

Well for one this kind of thread just shows us all how many closed minded people there are.

Sometimes other people make points you originally did not see in all your infinite wisdom and that is the beauty of debate and discussion.

Will I let make me not like the film dunno depends on what it discusses and weather or not I agree but for the most part my own opinion is still going to come first. However I will listen to other arguments to contrary or in collaboration.

A critic see's a ton of films a year so it just have having pretty CGI wins it no awards except for pretty CGI.

None of you really believe a critic is going to make you or someone dislike a film you actually like do you? If you really like it a critic isnt going to do any thing. I think some of you guys and gals just want to feel justified liking a film, even if it was as bad as ROTF ( and it was except for the CGI )

Thats like the same rational idiots use when saying putting gay people on TV will eventually turn this country gay. People are not so easily swayed that is kinda why certain countries even exist as they do today.

11. daformer

daformer Earth's Reckoning

News Credits:
    To me, us transformers fans are the real critics.

12. DK Prime

DK Prime Crazy Dane

I will not even read them. I bet half of the critics are cranky old men anyway lol

No, seriously...what critics say is not what matters IMO. It is what the audience thinks that makes the money.

13. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

This shit again?

Seriously, I did not like the films. RotF was, in my opinion, noisy garbage. Is it so hard to accept that many fans just didn't like it?

Don't speak for all fans, thanks.

So...you're a big Justin Bieber fan, right? You must be. He makes the money, after all, and that's the measure of quality.

I actually remember after RotF. Lot of fans wouldn't shut up about how perfect it was and then about a year later, we see the trickle of "Well...it was flawed in some ways..."

I won't be surprised when it happens again. And no, I'm actually not going to see DotM in theatres. Vote with my wallet and all.

- Coeloptera

14. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    I can't believe you like Justin Bieber.

15. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    I read Ebert on films regularly anyway, so yeah I'll read his review.

A reason I think that people jump on board with critics after initially praising the movie is because their eyes are kinda opened.

My little brother was about eight when he saw ROTF, and he came out of that screaming, "BEST MOVIE EVAR!!!" Yet, when he saw Toy Story 3 a year later, he completely embraced the film, and said himself, "This movie just kicked ROTF out of the water" or something to that effect. I was the same way - I thought ROTF was a decent movie at first, but with more viewings, I realized how dumb the film was, and thought, "How the hell did I think this was good?" compared to Toy Story 3.

It boils down to right and wrong eventually. We think we're right, but when we have a paradigm shift, we think, "Wow, how stupid was I back then?"

I read the critic's reviews because I want to hear a "professional" opinion, someone who knows all the tropes, plot formulas, archetypes, all that stuff I as a casual moviegoer fail to catch on the fly like Ebert and the others do. Do I agree with Ebert's opinion all the time? Hell no. Yes, ROTF was a bad movie as far as the "technical story" goes - and that's what makes a movie. Story and characters. ROTF had neither of those, or at least not very good examples of them.

I don't agree with Ebert when he said that it will one day be a cult film... not only because it kinda is already, but plenty of general audience members thought, "It was silly, but it was fun". I agree however, that we don't really have a right to tell him that our opinion is better and all he likes is "grown-up" movies. However, I do NOT agree with Ebert stating that anyone who liked the film was "simply wrong".

16. lightdestroyed

lightdestroyed Stronger than all!

I can say with about 99.8% conviction that I've never read a review in my life. Pre or post viewing.

17. DK Prime

DK Prime Crazy Dane

BTW just to add something...in my opinion ROTF is not the best movie...I still like the 2007 movie over ROTF, mostly because there was a lot of..ahem...stupid scenes in ROTF..like Wheelie humping Mikaelas leg, and Devastator having balls. And the Twins...omg.

Really hope it will change for DOTM.

18. CrypticIllusionist

CrypticIllusionist Well-Known Member

I expect I will probably agree with the critics much as I did with Revenge of the Fallen. I absolutely refuse to spend money on Dark of the Moon, though I'll be sure to catch it at least once, be it on TV, borrowed from a friend, or whatever.
    Whoever you got to account for my words after seeing that film was gravely mistaken.

Absolutely true, but I wouldn't say Revenge of The Fallen even approached being "good", much less perfect.

The main problem I have with this mentality is that it acts like it's too much to ask to have some decent writing along with the action. The fact is, it's not. There is a good handful of great action films that have great writing backing the action.

No one's allowed to have an opinion because your opinion contrasts with theirs.
    Hm. Fair enough.

19. DK Prime

DK Prime Crazy Dane

ROTF was made during the writers strike, so that is why it lacks a deacent story. The movie script was practically made along the way, and along with the filming.

20. CrypticIllusionist

CrypticIllusionist Well-Known Member

Y'know I had actually totally forgotten about the writer's strike. That said, that doesn't mean I have to consider Revenge of the Fallen to be any better than I already had. More that I can just consider it unfortunate that it was made when it was.

On the other hand, I don't think the first movie was particularly well-written either, but still a significant step up from the second.