So will IDW eventually redo the beast wars?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Bro The Jackal, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Bro The Jackal

Bro The Jackal Kamen Rider

I don't know about anybody else but I'm already drawn out with the autobots/decepticons battles. I grew up with bw so i'm already biased.

2. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:

I was alive during the end of G1 but Beast Wars really holds a special place in my heart! IDW needs to do something with that series!!!

TERRORIZE!!!

3. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I hope not. The Gathering and The Ascending were awful. They didnt seem to understand anything that made beast wars special. they looked kind of like beast wars, but that's the only similarity. the feel, the atmosphere, the storytelling, none of it was right. didnt have any of the heart the TV series had. IDW needs to leave it alone.

4. prime13

prime13 UCHUU KITAAAA

News Credits:
    I think Beast wars was the only series to have a loyal lunatic, mad scientist, the Vok (aliens), and a bad ass scientist with machine guns of death, and more, including upgradede forms so no one got tired of the designs. Beast wars was epic.

5. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    This.
    Chucking every beast figure they could into a book did nothing more than make a mess.
    They couldn't even do the Beast Wars profile books right.

Beast Wars the show was fine as it was. It really doesn't need IDW redoing anything.

6. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They proved to me three times that they don't want to take any care or time with Beast Wars. The further they stay away from it, the better.

7. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    Thats like saying Last Stand of the Wreckers should never have been created because All Hail Megatron sucked.

8. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    I feel the same. But if a new TV series would start too. Help the sales out more. But either way time to scrap the autobots and decepticons.

9. Mako Crab

News Credits:
    If IDW were going to do a BW story, the first thing they need to do is ignore everything from their first, botched attempts. Start from scratch. Don't try to weave it in and around the BW or BM cartoons. Don't retread convention comics. Create something that they can truly call their own. And please, don't ram every single last character from the entire line into the space of 4 or 8 issues. It doesn't work.

10. Black Oracle

Black Oracle Black Convoy's Dark Angel

News Credits:
    Gathering and Ascending were not perfect, but i still would like to see another BW comic series. I did appreciate how some of the Japanese BW characters were used in the last two mini-series.

I can think of a potential story to be told after the Shockaract events of the Ascending series and before the start of BM. Have Lio and Big Convoy attempt to stop Megatron as he begins his grand purge Cybertron. I think that could be interesting.

But realistically, it's obvious IDW is not very interested in the Beast era right now in these movie-dominated times.

An alternate BW universe? Intriguing idea. But i do think IDW were not exactly trying to follow the events of the TV shows and previous convention comics. They used certain elements and concepts, yes, but not everything in "The Gathering" and "The Ascending" exactly matches up with what came before. It was IDW's attempt at their own take on BW to a degree, following the adventures of other unused BW characters.

11. Mako Crab

News Credits:
    I was just talking about how they tried working around the adventures of the Beast Wars without actually interfering in it too much. I do like the idea of them following a different set of beasty characters, but I think they should set it in a different time and place. Don't bother with cameos from the cartoon cast. Just really go out and do their own thing.
    That, or really take a big risk and write their own version of BW from the ground up using anyone and everyone from the cartoons to the toy-only characters to the japanese shows and anything inbetween (except Ani-Morphs!). I mean, if they can confidently write their own take on G1, why not BW? I love the BW cartoon and it's nearly perfect as is, but there are always different avenues to be explored and improvements that can be made.

12. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I agree. I jut barely bought the TPB and though it was neat to see a new BW story and definitely fun to see toy-only characters get used, it wasn't that good at all. The first maybe fie pages are redeemable, but the rest is only good for laughing at the use of the name 'Drillnuts'.

13. Covenant

Covenant Mr. Roboto in Disguise

Ebay:
    Pacing seemed horrible too.

Don't get me wrong, I didn't hate it. There were tidbits left & right throughout that I dug, but the way it was put together blew.

At least the events took place outside (mostly) the direct events of the Beast Wars we know.

14. blue death

blue death TokuNation Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i actually very much enjoyed The Gathering and Ascending, i thought they were great. and they way they sort of tie-in japanese show continuity a little bit with US show continuity was awesome. and the characterizations for Magmatron and Razorbeast were jsut great. i dont think they need to do another series. this one played out just fine for me.

if there going to do one id prefer it not be one that overwrote these stories and instead be set in another show continuity. i know that the Cybertron series makes brief mention of a Beast Wars in that continuity, or at elast in the Sky Shadow (AKA Jetfire undercover toy bio).

explore that, its only briefly mentioned at all and it would be very interesting considering how much i like Cybertron overall.

15. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

I loved the Gathering. No Megatrons or Optimuses for a change. Razorbeast and Magmatron were great characters.

While I didn't enjoy the Ascending as much, I did like it. I loved Lio Convoy's line to Ravage about desparking him where he stands.

I love the profile books. I'm sorry but I did. They harkened back to the Dreamwave MTMTE days.

I would hate to see IDW revamp Beast Wars. After all the rehashing of G1 over the years, they can't be allowed to butcher the BW series. They already butchered G1 with awful mis-characterisations like Sunstreaker, Ramjet and Prowl.

16. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

Double Post. sorry.

17. Covenant

Covenant Mr. Roboto in Disguise

Ebay:
    Very good point.

18. shadow panther

shadow panther Mechanically Insane

News Credits:
    i would love a dark glass comic but only if it was written as it was originally intended

19. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

There is a perfectly viable storyline that IDW could center around if they chose for their next BW series to be a reboot/recreation. The Optimus Primal/Megatron 2-Pack Comic.

It's a cheezy little toy promotional comic, but the basic premise was interesting and it followed the first run bios of the characters originally created for the toys.

We've seen Beast Wars on prehistoric Earth, we know how it can be made and what happens. Let's see something different for a change?

I can't remember who started writing it here in our very own fanfiction section, but a fellow poster did wonders with the concept of a Beast Wars set on modern Earth. Ignore Transmetals, Fuzors and Transmetals Two for now. Stick to the first two series' worth of characters. The ORGANICS, create a Beast Wars comic with a completely different venue. I've always wondered what the Beast Wars would have been like if it had followed the premise revealed on those first interesting and largely forgotten bio/tech spec cards.

If anybody could pull it off I think IDW could, it's time to bring back the old Evolutions Title and this time make it a six to eight issue length maxi-series with enough pages to cover the basics without jamming everything into it.

Hell I'd be perfectly willing to write up the script myself if necessary. I've already got the start of a BW story that was trying something new, just got to dig it back out polish it off and voila instant Series.

For the 15TH anniversary of Beast Wars rapidly approaching us in 2011 I think having this on the back burner and being worked on would really be a great way to celebrate 15 years of Beast Wars.

20. spamo123

spamo123 Artist. Contact me.

IDW Beast Wars stories were bad. No way around it.
    They should move forward with their own stories.