So why didn't they kill off Bulkhead?

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by Sideways77, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Sideways77

Sideways77 oh shoogah

News Credits:
    A question has plagued me for a while. Why didn't they kill Bulkhead off? They played his death in Toxicity, playing the clips of his near-death experiences and whatnot. So why didn't they kill him? It made Toxicity, Miko and Wheeljack's quest for revenge, and Hardshell's death useless and not needed. We're they scared kids would stop watching? Did they think he won't sell if he dies?

Any ideas?

2. Megastar

Megastar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The kids wouldn't have taken it well.

3. Moonlight1102

Moonlight1102 Banned

Then children would cry.

EDIT: Doh! Ninja'd!

4. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    Perhaps the writers thought it wasn't time for him to die yet.

I mean none of the main Autobots and Maximals died in both Animated and Beast Machines until the very end of their run so this may be the case with Prime.

5. Surge

Surge Village Dolt

News Credits:
    I can recall some media having emotional flashback scenes for near-death experiences. Not always just for death. Anyhoo, I'm glad he survived.

6. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    35 episodes wasn't really the very end of BW's run. And even though Prowl didn't die until the end of the series, they were planning on continuing to season 4.

7. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    I consider Beast Machines to be a different show from Beast Wars even though it was a sequel to Beast Wars which did have main characters die in the middle.

8. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

Status quo must be maintained.

9. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    The answer: so people could come into this forum daily and complain about the Status Quo.

I watched the same previews as everyone else and I didn't think they were playing up the "Bulkhead is so gonna die!" angle.
    So he didn't die. He showed his character in that he was willing to.
    He showed his character in that he was grumpy and depressed while he was hurt.
    He showed his character in that he went back into action and saved Raf and crew while he still wasn't fully recovered.
    Or, you know, how this show has to maintain the status quo.

Honestly, I think that some people just have macros that fire off the same 3 or 4 complaints in every thread.

10. cuad

cuad VOK EMISSARY

News Credits:
    I thought they were playing it up when they gave us that montage, though I thought it was the worst montage ever because I didn't care about any of the clips.

11. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Because they were smart.

When the biz with Bulk was first buzzing I foolishly let myself get caught in the storm and neve rthought it through, and while yeah it largely turned out to be pointless I really must commend the writers. With so many pointless character deaths for shock value or any other reason, I was worried they were getting a little too, well, stupid with death. And they were, but them not killing Bulkhead and instead trying to do something with his character, as meagre and relatively fruitless as it turned out to be I commend them for that restraint and for trying to do something with it at least.

12. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

Who are you and what have you done with SPLIT LIP?

Nah but seriously, I'd agree with this. While they could have killed Bulk off just as easily as Cliff/Seaspray, they took it a different direction and gave new development to Bulk, showcasing him as vulnerable and bitter, a dramatic change from his normal attitude. Granted, it ended rather quickly, even the bitterness towards Smokescreen, but it was nice while it lasted.

13. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's like I've been saying all along- dude is tough! What more reason do you need? :p 

14. TFW10

TFW10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Maybe BH isn't the one "they" want to kill off among the autobots it could be RC (you can hate all you want).

But who's to know.

I like RC too, but it would be a dramatic ending for season 2.

15. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Because he wasn't supposed to die...

16. PrimesRule

PrimesRule Banned

News Credits:
    They want to save that death for Bumblebee. :p 

17. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Maybe because they got to have their cake and eat it too. "Hurt" and "Toxicity" we're both great, as was Bulk's recovery (and I doubt he's 100%). He's a great character and I'm happy to see him stick around and see the new six (seven-ish) Autobot dynamic. Besides, there are already three dead guys for the Autobots to be angry over.

18. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    His recovery seemed awful fast though; we had maybe three episodes where his injuries (which would have been severe since he was in a coma) were a problem but now he's fighting fit? People take months to fully recover from the sort of injury he had, and Ratchet isn't swimming in spare parts so.....

19. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    But consider the complaints that would arise if they dwelt on Bulkhead's injury for five, six or seven or more episodes.

I'm not sure if you watch House or not, but a very similar thing happened in the last season. I'll spoiler tag it for anyone who hasn't seen it. During a medical procedure, Chase is
    stabbed in the heart/near the heart by a scalpel when a patient goes haywire. The injury causes him to be paralyzed. Dang! Chase paralyzed? That's serious stuff!

Episode 1: He's stabbed, it's discovered that he's paralyzed.
    Episode 2: It's revealed that he could possibly be healing. End of the episode it's shown that he can move his toes.
    Episode 3: It's shown that he's in therapy, struggling to walk. He falls, he gets back up, etc.
    Episode 4: He's still in therapy, but he's getting better. I think he can walk well enough at the end of the episode after some time elapses.
    Episode 5: He's walking pretty good, slight limp.
    Episode 6: He's back to normal. They reference the injury.

Now of course, we have no idea how many days actually passed by between these episodes. Was it six episodes/six days? Or was it six episodes/3 months? We don't know. And really, we don't really know that for Bulkhead either.

I may be getting some of the details mixed up, but the point is that Chase's
    recovery
    lasts about 4 ish episodes. It's not even like they're the focus of each episode when they address the incident. It's usually just going back to that particular "side-story". And really, that's all you need. If they're not going to make an entire season out of it, no point in dwelling on it. 3-4 episodes is perfect for an event like this.

There's many different ways that they could've used the "Bulkhead is injured" story. He could've been actually paralyzed, or unable to transform, or comatose for half of the season, or he could've died, or he could've been back 100% at the end of the next episode. What we got was just one of many possibilities.

20. LotusoftheLeaf

LotusoftheLeaf Well-Known Member

I thought the direction they took Bulkhead was interesting, but I was a little disappointed to see he seemed perfectly fine in the last episode. Of course it's possible he's still having trouble and just isn't showing it, but I was hoping something small would have come about from his injuries. Like, Bulkhead would always walk with a slight limp, or his legs would never be quite as strong as they were and he'd need to take short breaks whenever he's on his feet for too long.

It's nothing I'd through a tantrum over though, and I'm satisfied enough with what I got.