So Why Can't Kreo Products Transform?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Razerwire, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    Saw this and this and wondered why Kreo products can't transform.

I'm guessing a set like this would cost much more than what the Kreo items are selling for.

Either way, I'm hoping to hell that LEGO picks this up and releases a Macross line. Should be easy as the guy who designs everything builds it with LEGOs first anyway.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  2. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

Because they are kits based on Transformers, and not actual Transformers?

3. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    price, durability (in both modes as well as during transformation) and playability

4. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    yah i agree

stability and aesthetic come to my mind, at least as far as an argument of why id rather they DONT transform

Less fragile, wont have to worry about things coming apart because of transformation joints

and it enables you to get a better, more visually appealing, look for both modes

ive seen a lot of fan lego builds and id wager that the majority of them all sacrifice just to be able to transform. i'd rather not have that if it means for a better looking, more playable figure

5. Razerwire

News Credits:
    It would definitely have to be geared more towards older builders/collectors. Durability-wise, I'd think that Kreo should be able to hold up in both modes and transformation, wouldn't it? The plastic they use seems to be on par with LEGO.

I have a few Kreo sets and I have to say I'd find the sets having much more playability if they had the option to transform.

6. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Because they have 14yr old kids designing these kits?

Seriously though, the Kreo kits are not really that well thought out in my experience and non-tranforming kits is just a side effect.

7. Razerwire

News Credits:
    But the two examples above show how they can pull off accuracy and be able to transform so it can be done.

The question becomes how much would they cost as they'd have to be somewhat large in scale to begin with. So perhaps for the large sets having the option to transform would make much more sense than the small sets.

LEGO already has some sets that offer some sort of transformation, I think, and although they're not Transformers based, they've released them believing that they can sustain the transformation process without falling apart right?

8. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    Yes. But that would compromise the look of the models. Simple transformations on building block hinges have actually been quite bleak from the examples at retail. But the Diablocks are the closest to doing it well. There are also some original chinese building block robot and vehicle kits. but the proportions are weird. Rather than build to rule which had a core section you just moved the big chunks around on.

I think Kreo is fine as it is. It does'nt hide that its not a transformer on the commercials. Their two in one building sets from the same bricks. And the robots and vehicles have largely turned out so impressive, that its actually kind of sad to have to tear them down and build it again.

However the smaller sets, like mirage or basic bumblebee don't take as long to do, and so if you value both modes, these can take fifteen minutes to build. The larger sets you may have to free up an afternoon for.

9. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm pretty sure that if you've dreamt it, someone somewhere has already built it with Lego. I've seen a Rapture from Bioshock fanbuild that was insane as well as Mordor castle fanbuild that was equally awesome.

Really, it's all about the people designing the sets.

10. boxorak

boxorak Lovable Noob

Fixed. :D 

11. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

They could definitely have made them transform, but that's a totally separate layer of engineering that would most certainly drive up costs for the sets. I just look at Kre-O as a cash grab by Hasbro in that they're taking the studded brick premise and simply slapping the Transformers logo on it.

It would've been nice to see them take a page out of Tente's Roblock series, even if the transformers were simplistic.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  12. Razerwire

News Credits:
    This is probably the best explanation.

I don't really buy the argument that having it transform will sacrifice the look of the models.

The two links above are perfect examples that it can be done without sacrificing much, if any at all, to the look of the models.

13. Satomiblood

Hell, the Kre-O robot models already look like they've been compromised :lol .

14. Razerwire

News Credits:
    Some are definitely better than others.

But with the VF-1J link I listed above, the thing can transform and has poseability. I think it even has articulation in the hands and fingers. Hell, the Monster is a fricken triple changer! :lol 

Looking at the two links, I certainly think it's possible for Kreo to pull off successful transforming sets but like you said, it's a whole other level of engineering and if Hasbro was just in this for the cash grab, then it does make sense to just release the sets that they currently have.

15. Snark

Snark Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Word on the street is that Hasbro didn't want to create competition with its own Transformers line.

As someone with a degree in marketing (no practical experience though, I am a lawyer by profession), I must say that above makes sense to me. Furthermore, I suspect that Hasbro didn't want Kreo to become too strongly identified with Transformers. While TF will likely be the Kreo's flagship line (similar to Star Wars for Lego and Halo for Mega), it is not the only line, as evidenced by the upcoming Battleship and Star Trek sets. Ultimately, it would be beneficial for Kreo to be seen as a building blocks toy as opposed to a subline of Transformers.

16. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    i suppose my mention of playability was meant to include what he said.

and just as well, the links you posted were designed/built by a collector. no doubt it wouldnt stand up to some of the play that Hasbro's Kre-o stuff can because its designed for a different demographic. [you can see in a few of those pictures the need for a stand to support it sometimes and its just standing there]

there's no doubt a number of factors at work here. I'd imagine its mostly due to cost and the fact that theyve also got certain demographics they're tailoring these to.

Plus, I think they've made it a point to make sure that these dont transform. They want the fun to be in the building. If you want something that can transform and you can play with then thats what the mainline figures are for

diversifying the brand and all that

17. Snark

Snark Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's not so much cheap cash grab as piece count limitation and complexity. Don't forget, these sets were designed for children, and the piece count alone of a set similar to that VF-1J would drive the price well beyond the range of most children. And for the few that can afford it, there's no way in hell they would have the patience or skills to complete set that complex.

18. Cracka J

Cracka J TURD PARTY DUMPSTERPIECE TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    This is pretty much it. Kreo are meant to be building kits with a transformers character license. I'm not sure there was ever any intention to make them transformable in design, or will there ever be.

Kinda how TF mighty muggs were just an established product with TF character licenses, I believe the kre-o brand wants to be established as a building block line with different acquired licenses, and not concentrate on a transformation gimmick.

And that's exactly why it's not being done. We forget too often what a small portion of the retail purchases that older collectors actually account for. These are kids products geared toward kids, and it's kids that will continue to get them as long as they feature their favorite characters. If takara adopted the kre-o brand though, I could see their building models go in a completely different direction though from what we have here, since their consumers are a more collector oriented base. I'd probably import them if they did some of the more collector based stuff you suggested, but I don't think it would do well in a US/NA based audience.

Some of the larger build kits like OP, SS, and megs were some of my favorite build kits since I was a little kid. I think they put some excellent work into the design of these to support both modes with the supplied blocks, and you can tinker with them and explore outside the instructions if you thought they could be a little better. What kits did you have that turned you off the line btw?

19. Satomiblood

Snark is right. My aunt bought me one of those Tente Roblock sets when I was 6 or 7. I was somewhat versed in Lego. I was able to put together airplanes and space sets, but the Roblocks - albeit very cool - were a totally different animal. There were too many pieces and the instructions were too hard to follow. I was also somewhat overwhelmed by the Technic series, which I was introduced to at around the same age.

20. Razerwire

News Credits:
    That actually makes quite a lot of sense as well. I can definitely see Hasbro wanting Kreo to be a line of its own and not a subline of TFs. Although transformation would've been the nice gimmick to the TF Kreo line like the Ninjago has the spinning gimmick thingy for LEGO. Perhaps somewhere down the road when Kreo is more established and not just isolated to TF related characters, they can revisit the TF line and throw in the transformation gimmick.

Which pic? The pic with the clear plastic stand is during the transformation process. The three modes don't need a stand to keep upright.