So, why can't Hasbro make more new mold gestalts?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Thundershot, Sep 21, 2008.

1. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    One of the reasons for not doing modern gestalts is that it takes the design teams more effort for a limited group. They'd rather have more selection. Also, the waves they come out in would be difficult...

However.... why not slowly introduce a few new toys here and there that have the capability to combine with the Energon combiners? Need a new jet? Make Fireflight. Need a jeep? Make Swindle. That way later on they can repaint the other couple and make a unique gestalt that's a combination of repaints and new molds. Even a new body could expand the possibilities...

I just thought of this while thinking how I'd like to see Scoop, Quickmix, and Landfill to return. Scoop could be made out of an Energon combiner, and the other two could be new molds that could also be used for a better looking Devastator down the line, or replacements for the ones already there.

Toss in their Targetmasters, and you've got a really nice set... with possible potential for a whole combiner with some other parts...

Just a thought..

Chris

2. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Interesting idea. Something I personally wouldn't have a problem with, though I'd actually rather have Hasbro take the time and effort to one day make a completely new mold Gestalt or two. Who know's, this might happen sooner than one would think :D 

3. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    ITs not just about the effort involved, its about the expense.

4. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Well, they've already said they intend to do a new gestalt sometime down the line, but they said they didn't want to do it until they knew they could do a mind-blowing job, and when they did it wouldn't be a G1 homage.

That said, I do like your idea of releasing one-off figs that aren't marketed as combiners but can be used with existing figures. That's the big advantage of the new Scramble-city style they adopted; by using a standard configuration, parts can be mixed and matched, and as you suggest, there's room to add in more parts later to embellish gestalt forms. Very cool. They could do various redecoes of existing combiner parts, and drop in new moulds with the combiner feature as and when they feel like it. :thumb 

5. Sir_Sapphire

Sir_Sapphire Well-Known Member

While I agree that some new combiners would be awesome I'm not getting my hopes up because they're expensive to engineer and expensive to buy. With the level of competition in the toy market now it probbably is a better move to keep with the single figure concept, for now anyway.

You never know though, we may start seeing funny ports on certain toys.

6. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Believe it or not, it's also because they sell like shit.

IDK why but kids apparently HAAAAAAATE to buy more toys for one character.

7. Dropshot

Dropshot Transform your destiny

News Credits:
    Besides the obvious complexity on engineering gestalts and the cost to produce them, can't remember when, but Hasbro said the public wasn't interested enough on them to get a profit.

8. Prometheum5

Prometheum5 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    wrong thread...

9. Thundershot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    To those with reasons why new gestalts aren't being made.. I know that... I wish I could reword the thread. My point it, wouldn't it be more feasible to make more limbs that connect to existing molds, thus slowly giving us what we want over the course of several figures. A new "Scramble City" style like someone mentioned...

10. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No one promised anything for Soundwave until the third season, fans were just going all OH YEA G1 CHARACTER HE'L ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOCK CANT WAIT TO SEE LASERBEAAAAAAAAK for no reason other than some prototype pics.

All the fandom's fault.

11. Thundershot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Um........ Wrong thread?

12. Prometheum5

Prometheum5 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes, apparently...

13. kenm2474

kenm2474 LORD DC TFW2005 Supporter

We are getting a Devastator Gestalt in the movie line. Thats good enough for me from Hasbro.

14. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    i totally understood what you meant...much like the two target exclusive limbs that were supposedly coming out, they could make a new mold of a jeep, with that same Energon Combiner Powerlinx port, and BAM...you'd have a new member to energon bruticus...i would love that...and new main torsos could come out at some point, and all in all it'd be fantastic...for collectors...however, think about how those would sell for kids...they might move, but kids who didnt have an energon main torso wouldnt have anyway to combine anything...but still, i hold out hope something will change...

15. Glitcher

Glitcher Banned

News Credits:
    I was never a fan of the Movie line. I bought '08 BB after everyone raved about it, was disgusted with the result, and sold it after a fortnight. However I am interested to see what Hasbro will produce for Devastator (providing he does go by that name, considering the Brawl fiasco). A seven-combiner Transformer is a thing unheard of.

16. Deadend

Deadend Overloaded Spark

News Credits:
    Honestly, it's mostly because the various gestalts of the past didn't sell as well as planned. And it couldn't have been because the molds themselves kinda blew... (Well in energon's case at least.)

RiD did gestalts great, wish they would return to those, but I also like the ideas presented by energon gestalts... If they only had actual hands and feet instead of those awkward energon bits. >_< Then there was the issue of how they released them, and the god aweful designs they were even in show to begin with. Let alone the media treating them as rather lackluster uncharacterized peons. Though I guess that never occurred to them on why they sold worse than they did in RiD.
    RiD did it well with characterization and personality to each. Energon rather ruined the whole idea by using too few unique molds, never having them talk, and even releasing the right limbs several months after releasing the first set.

Who wants to wait over a month to complete a gestalt? And by the time the second set of limbs were on the shelf, the core body was gone. =/ Piss poor planning on hasbro's part. If they would have just done each gestalt slowly one at a time, instead of half limbs here, half there, they could have sold better. Instead I passed on most as probably did many others out of frustration of not being able to build him right when I got home unless I bought doubles of limbs. =/
    That was my main deterrence on bothering.

Though if they retrofitted some other pieces to fit that plug styling, or new molds that also had the better energon bits of actual hands and feet, I'd be all over it.

Personally, I don't think it'd take much to even retool strongarm into a swindle limb.

Engineering isn't an issue, and honestly every time they use that as an excuse, I almost want to smack them. (Barring original animated shockwave plans at least...) That statement is an excuse for stating we haven't really tried yet. Or they have a new crew of engineers that don't know wtf they are doing, which I doubt after seeing Universe 2.0, these guys know exactly what they are doing. Boggles my mind how they state somestuff as an impossibility after what they pulled off with the movie line and others. When it wouldn't entail anywhere near as much depth to tool small things in.

Classics Silverbolt for example. His only excuse for not being a gestalt is pure laziness.
    Ditto to classics Onslaught.
    Engineering would not be hard for those two to become gestalts. That's all not wanting to, or not seeing a market to on hasbro's part.

What would really be nice, is if some fan production place made gestlat clip on pieces for certain ultras. With the corresponding clips pieces designed to attach to various other classics molds. =D Like silverbolt to seekers, or Onslaught to Deluxe Megatron, Astrotrain, Armada Cyclonus, and Energon strongarm. >.>

17. Sir_Sapphire

Sir_Sapphire Well-Known Member

As far as Devastator goes though we've only realy seen one design for one bot, and that's not even final. For all we really know is that seven construction vehicles merge into one robot without individual bot modes for each peice, which is still pretty damn awesome but not exactly what'll please everyone.

18. Transfotaku

Transfotaku Transformer Otaku

Five and six robot merge groups are boring nowadays. The best ones are smaller sets.

Build King is a great figure with only 4 people.

The RiD Trainbots are even better at 3. In fact, I daresay that the RiD Trains are probably the BEST combiner of all time. If we get a new combiner team using the same engineering style they used on that team, then I'd be impressed. Three seems to be an ideal number too. You get all the people about the same size, so they're all equally as important and well engineered on their own. You don't sacrifice articulation or design elements for being "just a limb" like the 5+ mergers do.

Plus some of the two robot combinations are amazing. RiD Prime and Magnus make a great looking robot. Vic Leo+Star Saber. While E-Prime looked silly on his own, he does look fantastic with his limbs, Wing Saber, and sometimes, w/Omega. Armada Megatron+Tidal Wave is interesting...and so on.

G1 Road Ceaser for example, is a nice, sturdy, great merger from the G1 era that's only 3 robots. Really, some of the better merge groups are 2-4 people only.

Though, I could totally support a small sort of combiner. Something like a Micron or Legends size, where you get parts to combine a near infinite amount of them in a near infinite amount of ways, like Machine Robo Mugenbine does.

19. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    dude, i love Eprime when combined with his little pieces, or when he's with Wing Sabre...love it...

hopefully we get a couple more small group combiners...and i totally agree that the two RID combiners (Landfill and Rail Racer) were amazing...i love them, and they look great in my giant ass Universe collection...

20. Methos

Methos ...Hail Megatron

Given how so many fans are building their own these days,one would think Hasbro would seriously consider offering them a job.