so whose head is Botcon Treadshot using?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by POSSESSED_DIGIT, May 16, 2012.

1. POSSESSED_DIGIT

POSSESSED_DIGIT WE ARE NUBBY THUMB!!

News Credits:
    kinda self explanatory from the subject title. but i was checking out pix of treadshot when i realized his head wasnt the same as the botcon kickoff i just got. some further digging revealed treadshots head was the alternate head for the Jazz mold, and Kickoff was all new for botcon. so, whose head is treadshot using?

for that matter, botcon Magnus is the alternate head for RTS Prime. so any clues there either? other than being Fugly?

2. PoweredConvoy

PoweredConvoy Randy of the Allspark

News Credits:
    The head for Treadshot was just a generic Autobot head they created. Ends up working pretty well as Armada Sideswipe / Treadshot / Oilslick.

The head for Magnus looks to have been designed as an evil Optimus / Nemesis Prime type.

Randy

3. Billzilla

Billzilla Skeptic

News Credits:
    It is possibly being used for the asian-exclusive Wheelie (I'm not sure if they've show his head yet, but it's the Jazz mold), but I always thought it would make a decent Dead End.

The Botcon SG Magnus head is being used again on Scourge from the TFCC Subscription club.

EDIT: It was pointed out to me that this ^^ isn't correct. My mistake, was seeing what I wanted to there.. it's the RTS head..

4. JazzyHide!!

JazzyHide!! Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I too have been wondering this, surely they did have a character in line for a mass release by hasbro rather than just a generic autobot. I keep hoping that hasbro or funpub would make G2 Skram out of the Jazz mold as I personally think it would work well and there is similarities with Treadshots head to Skram.

5. MrSoundmeister

MrSoundmeister Bang,Bang Boom!

Dont know bout you the it would make sense if they use the jazz' alternative head for blaster.

6. T4mercustomz

T4mercustomz Genus time! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    When did they say this?

7. CookSux

CookSux Infectious Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It doesn't look anything like Blaster though... but I like where you're going with this. The speakers are fitting for the mold.

They didn't. That boy be crazy.

8. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    Hasbro was considering useing that Head to make the Jazz body into Skids.

I kind of see it in robot mode. But its definitely not the same boxy japanese minivan.

I believe they mentioned this in one of their panels where photos were not allowed. (believe it was SDCC)

Last edited: May 17, 2012
  9. POSSESSED_DIGIT

POSSESSED_DIGIT WE ARE NUBBY THUMB!!

News Credits:
    Yeah. Don't like the idea of "generic head" as a basis for a mass release toy. I'd imagine it's supposed to resemble SOMEBODY. But who?

Also don't like the "real ugly ass Optimus Prime Zombie" head. but whatever. I don't run hasbro...

Good idea for blaster tho...

But Id rather get Hasbro Ricochet...

10. LCDR Blindside

LCDR Blindside Banned

News Credits:
    A few dashes of paint or a recolor could bring out the Blaster in Meister. I also like the speaker idea, and a car with a kickin' sound system sounds like a typical Hasbro reimagination into a useful altmode. Hell, if you wanted to go the extra mile, you could make little tapes that turn into robots and guns for Blaster that peg into his little under-chest holes.

11. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    The thing is, Skids isn't a minivan to begin with. The type of car he is wasn't made in America so people are largely unfamiliar with it, the artists interpreted it as a van and made a comic where some cowgirl gave him a carwash, and the rest is history.

12. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

True, but he's also not a sports car. :)  The closest current match would be something like the Honda Fit (which is why the Alternators Scion Skids was a good fit). Sadly, there aren't too many TF's (aside from the Movie Twins) with that kind of alt mode these days, so I fear poor G1 Skids is destined to remain in toyless semi-obscurity.

Personally I'd be happy to see ANY version of Classics Skids. Even if it means re-decoing him from Jazz (heck, the mold works better as him than it does as Wheelie). I've also always thought you could get a decent Skids from Classics Hound, who is also desperately in need of a retail repaint. Frankly, at this point I'll take what I can get; the Classics lineup just won't be complete without SOME version of Skids.

13. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Honda City Turbo. Not a minivan. Not even close.
    I wouldn't say "not a sports car," the thing had a turbocharger. Read the link I posted above.

But yes, the Honda Fit is basically an indirect descendant of the City. Or at least, the closest thing on the current market that Honda produces.

Which is why I've been clamoring for a Honda Fit Skids for years now.

14. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

I always thought the Treadshot head was meant to be Armada Sideswipe, since the whole character being some kind of legendary Badass everybody loved/feared (depending on SG faction) is, I think, supposed to be a joke on how much everybody freaking HATED the actual Armada Sideswipe in just about every way possible and how useless the character actually was in the show.

No, pics are allowed at SDCC, they're prohibited at Botcon.

15. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

Yeah, Wheelie it's not. Far as I'm concerned, he's Crossword once I get him.

Crossword - Renegade - www.tfu.info

16. jametron

jametron Release the Kraken!!!!!!!

News Credits:
    But G1 Skids never was a minivan. He was a sub-compact car, which in this country was almost unheard of circa 1985, so the animators mistakenly made him a van.

17. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

Holy crap, possible unintended Got-Bot homage? "Wheelie" looks a lot more appealing to me now.

18. WhiteMocha

Ah, okay, that's a good point. I admit I didn't know the City on which Skids is based was a Turbo. So, yeah, that's legitimately a sports car. Or sporty-ish.

That's brilliant. I'm totally borrowing that idea. :)  I'd been puzzling over how an orange Wheeli-esque Jazz could be repurposed, and that's perfect. It'll fit right in with the slowly-but-steadily growing set of Gobot homages.

19. allew

allew Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  20. WhiteMocha

Also a good idea! (Although a quick nerd note, Skystalker was actually, I believe, a Porsche 959, not a 911. Someone correct me if I am wrong, though!)