So who's (not) going to their work Christmas party?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Streck, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Streck

Streck <B><FONT COLOR="#FF0000">QED</B></FONT> Veteran

Ours have been getting progressively lamer. The year I was hired, we had a huge all-night event in a swanky downtown hotel with excellent catered food, an open bar, and dancing. The next year, it was two hours at a bowling alley with two "drink tickets" per employee. We also found out that the guy in charge of last year's thing had organized it without formal CEO approval and been fired as a result.

This year, it's two hours at some convention center with no alcohol. It's tonight, and I'm skipping it.

2. MagiRanger

MagiRanger Banned

Ebay:
    I'm not. Well if you count some people bringing in food to break room on a Saturday afternoon as a "party".

3. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Mine is the night before a final, so I'm skipping it.

4. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

I have no choice but to go, as my employer is my father, and within 10 years or so he'll be retiring, and I'll be taking over.

I hate Christmas parties.

5. Nerd Bomber

Nerd Bomber Consulting your needs

I skipped it but then again I also "skipped" work since the skin on my feet is missing.

6. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Super Mod

News Credits:
    It's this friday during work hours so I don't mind at all. Plus some good food too.

7. alphie

alphie Veteran

News Credits:
    We had ours last Sunday. Had a gift exchange at a local bar and grill and was able to hang out and drink with co-workers. I actually had fun, great to see the managers let loose and have fun as well.

8. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    My company is so cheap that they don't even throw a party for the employees, and they cut Christmas bonuses the year before I was hired. Not really happy with them.

I'd probably skip it even if they did have a party, though. It would most likely be in a bowling alley/lame.

It makes me miss the Christmas parties we had when I worked at this great restaurant/bar. When you hire mostly college kids/loose waitresses/drunks/druggies, hold the party after hours in the bar, and give them all the free alcohol they can drink, you can be damn sure there will be a party of epic proportions!

9. LadyStarscream

LadyStarscream Queen of Cybertron

I skipped this year, we went from a formal fancy affair during work hours to an after work happy hour event with beer and soda. I don't drink beer, and for me to go after working hours it would have to include free martinis!

10. Samana Rombuca

Samana Rombuca Well-Known Member

I'm not! Couldn't be happier. :D 

11. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

mine is during my work, so i have no choice lol

12. mrhillz

mrhillz Changed his user title. TFW2005 Supporter

My work doesn't have christmas parties, since we're so busy during the holidays, instead we do something in the summer.

13. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Other than the people in my lab, everyone else at my job annoys the hell out of me, so I want as little to do with them as possible. My lab's going to be having a couple of lunches together that I'll go to, but I'm definitely not attending the potluck lunch and party for the department.

14. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Same here and I have become the deviled egg man. Ours is kinda like a potluck. No alcohol :cry 

15. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

I'm going to one of mine. Free food and drink at a local establishment. Only a few hours. Plus there are only 10 or so of us. Sometimes its nice to hang out outside of work for a while.

16. Golden Age

Golden Age BATTLE BEAST

That sounds exactly like the company I used to work for. In fact, where do you work? Maybe it is a typical company tactic. You know, make it look like they arent doing as well as they used to. Employees dont expect bonuses etc.

17. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

My company just bought another company and now they are in crazy debt so they decided to not have one this year.

18. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I missed the one of the company that's in the process of procuring our company this year. It was scheduled for the same weekend as we were moving, and getting into new home > company party. Though it's been sounding like it might have been a slag on people that weren't there night because that Monday everyone was giving me the stinkeye.

As for our company's party, I'll be there, it's during work hours.

19. CrackerBoy

CrackerBoy SeƱor Member TFW2005 Supporter

We had ours last week-end. I went for the free food and the door prizes. 1st place was a 32" flat panel tv, 2nd place was $400 gift certificate at future shop, 3rd was $100 gift card for Future shop and an mp3 player and they had 20 $50 certificates for the local mall.... i didn't win anything as usually.

20. meetoblivion

meetoblivion aka chazzy

Ebay:
    i skipped mine. it was this past Saturday. technically it was a "year end" party since we're based in Israel (i.e. Jewish) so they don't say Christmas party and alienate the Jewish staff, and don't say Hanukkah to alienate the Christian members so...it was the year end party.

I didn't go! :)