So who made a list and stuck to it?

Discussion in 'Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers' started by Deefuzz, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I know. Another post Botcon thread. But I was looking through my stuff and thinking.

Every year I go, I go through the arduous task of compiling a list of wants. I think of everything I would want to look for or possibly add to my collection. Then I look each item up on ebay, check out current and completed listings and get a price range for each item: loose, complete, MISB/MOSC. I then put it into a spreadsheet and print it out and bring it along.

Each year I do this, and each year there is no point. I rarely even look at the list. I am like a kid in a candy store and start running at tables, arms flailing wildly, ginormous stupid grin on my face, all just lost in the moment of pure TF geekdom. I end up doing more impulsive spending, and sometimes I look at some things at a table and think "Well, for that price why not?".

That is how this year started off for me. Ran right to the Hartman's table right when preview night opened. I was looking at getting some Headmasters, since I am a big fan. They still had plenty when I got into their store, but then I saw some G1 cassettes, complete, mint, with cardbacking...All for 30 dollars. Hell I couldn't pass that up! Sure G1 Highbrow was on my list, but for the price of that, I could get three sets of tapes! So I bought the three sets, and to add to the impulse buys I found a Micromaster set on the way to checkout for 5 bucks with card backing!

All in all, in the very end, it turned out I got 4 things on the long list that I had made, and a majority of the stuff on the list (which was carried over from the list from last time) will be carried over to next year's list.

Anyone else go through anything similar? Or am I the only one who is obnoxiously anal in preperation, then falls apart and gets taken by the moment when it arrives?

2. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I try to make a list of stuff I really want to find, and nail that first. Then I see what else there is around. I pretty much stuck to my list this year.
    I went to Botcon hoping to find:
    -WST Dinobots (got them, except Grimlock. Someone picked up the last one from the pile I was about to buy, when someone started talking to me, and paid for it himself. DAMN.)
    -MP-03 Starscream (got)
    -Something cool from the Hartmans (I'd say a sealed Classic G1 Combaticons set works. Especially since after using the prize money I got from the art contest they only set me back $50!)
    -MIMB Victory Leo (Nope. had a lead on one for $350, but didn't have the funds)
    -Alt Sunstreaker (Yup. To be fair, I knew full well that Harlod had gotten me one)
    -Other Alts (I got Skids for $10 loose at the end of the 'con)
    -Darksyde Megatron & Waspinator (yup)
    -BM Thrust MOSC, with exhausts facing forwards (nope :(  )

My only real Impulse buy was a sealed case of DX Micromasters (got 2 sets in the case, 2 chase figures in there too). £30; I was happy with that.

3. Edgewise

Edgewise Fanner

News Credits:
    I make a prioritized list of the main things I want to get. Don't do ebay research on prices though. Most stuff I buy is from the list and impulse buys are usually just deals I couldn't pass up, like GF Soundblaster for $45 and Police Gasket for $20.

4. gen1fan

gen1fan G1 PRIME FROM VA TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yes, I did make a wants list, But do to how much time I spend at my booth I was not able to really look for everthing on my wants list. But did get 15 items for my wants list there was about 50 items on my wants list.

5. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Moderator

News Credits:
    Botcon Tigatron (X9 Ravage verison) was the only piece on my want list that I actually got. I got a complete boxed G1 Ratchet for only $20.00 at the Hartman's table. Funny thing is I need one too.

6. KidDynamite

KidDynamite Do good recklessly Veteran

Twitter:
    I'm not a big time collector anymore, but I do jot down a couple of things I'd like to get...usually things I passed on preordering or buying in stores but know I'd cave and buy on impulse at the show, so I just make plans to buy them. This year it was THS-02 G1 Convoy and Energon Shockblast. Didn't find a Shockblast for a price I was willing to pay, but I did get a good deal on a THS-02, and I'm happy with that. No impulse buys this year, unless you count buying a sovenier hat when I'd planned to buy a shirt because the shirts were sold out already.

7. TreKain

TreKain All Will Be Well TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I was so proud of myself...I prolly spent close to $600, and out of all of that the only impulse buys were G1 Punch/Counterpunch....and a Unicron stand. Not too shabby...

8. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch

News Credits:
    My only impulse buy was a KO liokaiser set for $10.

I did have a list, but once I entered the Hartman's booth well I picked up a lot of other stuff as well.

:lol  and all the GF picked up were some comics

9. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Food Truck or BMW Moderator

News Credits:
    I actually stuck to my list this time. Pretender Starscream, Jazz, and 'Bee and carded Cosmos & boxed Springer and Prowl courtesy of the Hartmans. ^_^

But every other con? Yeah, the list goes out the window.

10. Boardwise

Boardwise There are no strings on me Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I usually have a list in my head every time I attend, but as normal that list goes out of the window as soon as I walk into the dealer room and I run around like a kid in a candy store.

Though I did manage to grab some items on that list.

11. gen1fan

gen1fan G1 PRIME FROM VA TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    So the true question is Did you do more Impulse buying or Stuck to your list.

I would have to stay Impulse buying. Can not pass up the Bust for 20 dollars each when the comic book store is still asking 80 for his Devastator. Out of my 300.00 Dollars I spent 120 went to just Bust, That is truly money out of my pocket. Does not count item I traded other dealers for.

Over all I'm happy with myself that I did not spend more.

12. Blackstar

Blackstar TFW2005 Supporter

Actually, I did have a list, and I did stick to it. The only items on my list that I didn't get were the Twincast Reissue and Soundblaster reissue, and only because they were way way way too expensive.

13. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    I was hoping to get MP Starscream at the show which I did, other then that it was pretty much whatever caught my fancy.

Although I have to admit BW Tarantulas was kinda on my list for Botcon but I was really iffy on whether I would actually pick it up or not. The big reason I did end up getting one was the Hartman's had a bunch of them for sale at a very reasonable price so it was really an opportunity I couldn't turn away from.

14. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I had a list (more a mental list than a physical one) which was pretty modest. Got close to everything on the list the first day, which left the remaining time in the dealer room with me going "what COULD I get?" That means I pretty much spent as much too much as anyone who completely ignored their own lists.

15. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch

News Credits:
    Actually now that I look over my botcon swag, I did a pretty good job of sticking to my list.

Between Elvin and the Hartman's I was able to scratch about a dozen things off my list... sadly bumblejumper wasn't one of them.

16. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Moderator

News Credits:
    You beat me too it.

17. megamus

megamus Overworked and Underpaid Veteran

News Credits:
    I am proud to say that i stuck to my list and got a lot off my want list(nothing from the hartmans I might add). Most from the parts party, which after seeing the prices in the dealers room saved me a small fortune.

18. Nightscream

Nightscream JP TF Master Collector

Ebay:
    $20 for a boxed ratchet? What were the hartman prices like..? What did a sealed minibot or autobot car go for, for instance?

19. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Moderator

News Credits:

Clearly a mistake on there part. After waiting about an hour in line, I saw a boxed G1 Ratchet that said on the box "missing everything $20.00". I figured I could easily find his weapons but to my suprise when I got back the hotel the Ratchet was 100 percent complete with all weapons and paperwork. Prices were good. Two Dead mint G1 cassettes complete with cardback for only $30.00 in my opinion is a steal.

20. alphie

alphie Veteran

News Credits:
    I went to Botcon with one thing in mind: I was not going to buy any figures. And well, I did just that. :D  And I looked over my oddity collection before I left and knew I had to pick up some BW oddities which I did. Then I had the: "I will NEVER find it." list. On that list: TF Big Wheel, Megatron Microphone and Soundwave Tapedeck. Found Soundwave for a good price at Botcon. Wheee!