So ... who else got Asperger's syndrome here?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Transquito, Mar 14, 2009.

1. decepticonjon

decepticonjon japness for balls

[​IMG]

2. Turbocharger

Turbocharger We should get more letter

Most people on the internet like to tell others they have Asperger's because they're weird and afraid to admit that they just have no social skills.

Trust me, I've done it before.

3. chapsy

chapsy Well-Known Member

Truth be told, and not to sound rude to anyone here, but after reading a description of AS it does seem like a combination of social and speech disorders rolled together into a new disorder.
    In that case wouldn;t therapy be a better treatment to overcome social anxieties and hangups rather than having a doctor perscribe pills for you to pop?
    Maybe I'm just a little undereducated here but that's how this disorder has always come across to me.

4. artoni

artoni Fangirl

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Can't help you out re: school, other than saying just force yourself to do it. It's hard, I know, I've been there. :/

Re: stress. I find music/writing helps me a lot; often, I'll put a lot of the issues I'm dealing with into my writing. And then write the character/whathaveyou overcoming the situation. It's kind of therapeutic.

CHIBI! x3 Sorry.

I was in GATE for a few years; I asked to be taken out because everyone else was a HUGE snob. Me being a slacker and 'different' wasn't helping. I don't know about having the most/severely, and TBH it's not something to brag about (I reiterate my post from before - HEY I'M 5'6" AND I'M SO PROUD ZOMYYYGAAAAAWD HOW DARE U TRY TO SMACK ME DOWN FOR THAT). But it's good that you're keeping a positive attitude!

It's a handy excuse. ;)  Of course at this point seeing all the wank...I'm all, "SCREW YOUR ASPERGERS THAT'S NOT AN EXCUSE FOR BEING A -PUNK- D<"

Good question!

It's hard to describe Aspergers in itself, but it's primarily a social disorder. Speech I think is part of the social aspect, but I digress.

Therapy -can- help. People talking about it, offering you ways to adjust, explaining things to you that you don't quite understand - of course, advice always helps, especially if it's good advice! But that just gets back to my point of you have to -choose- to take that advice, you have to make the decision to play the game so to speak.

TL;DR: Mind over matter.

5. chapsy

chapsy Well-Known Member

EXACTLY! When I was younger, I was pretty awkward, especially with people whom I felt I had nothing in common with. I felt like that "nerd guy" who drew his anime and video game crap all day, but came to find out I was fairly well known later on.
    that little boost of self esteem, along with help from my friends, made me get over my fear of talking to people. I even get along with people whom I never thought I would as well :) 

My girlfriend's the same way, she used to be terrified of making friends before she met me just cause she felt so socially inept. After a few years she has about 4-5 girls she hangs out with regularly.
    When it comes to social hurdles, I've found a good support person(or people) has always been the best medicine. although I bet that certain cases of AS are a lot closer to full-blown Autism.

6. Fez Findie

Fez Findie Well-Known Member

Part of the A-club here as well :) 

And yeah, I could easily say that havin' had years of therapy sessions, since I was like 4-5 and until the summer 2006, helped me way more than just takin' pills would have. I mean, ya gotta have someone on the outside that ya can let out on things and discuss stuff that you wouldn't within your family or to friends and such.

7. artoni

artoni Fangirl

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Pft, that's what I have the internet for. :) 

"I'M TOTALLY BLOGGING THIS!"

8. Magelite

Magelite I make stupid look good

What pills? I've never been prescribed pills in my life, nor has any other person with AS I know, and most doctors/disability workers I've met reccomend help groups for autism/aspergers.

9. artoni

artoni Fangirl

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I was on Straterra & Ritalin. I've been diagnosed with ADHD as well, so, dunno if those are for one or the other.

10. Magelite

Magelite I make stupid look good

I've heard of ritalin prescribed for ADHD, but never AS.

11. Little Nelly

Little Nelly Banned

Yo dawg isn't Asbergers just an excuse to act mean and oblivious then blame it on a mental illness? When I was a dawglet we just called those kids unpopular yo.

12. chapsy

chapsy Well-Known Member

my bad, I misread one of the first comments in here.
    Then again, a lot of health practice nowadays is "have a problem? this pill fixes it!"
    idk, maybe I worded it wrong, but I guess what I was trying to say is that a lot of disorders are perscribed corrective medication when it really isn't necessary.

13. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

This thread has taught me that ALOT of kids/teens are watching Animated and then joining the forums. Nice.

14. artoni

artoni Fangirl

News Credits:
    Ebay:

Didn't that happen with Cybertron/the Movie?

15. jackson_swiftly

jackson_swiftly Member

I'm relatively new to this board, but thought I should chime in on this one. I have it too. I don't call it a mental disorder, but a neurological disorder. It affects how one perceives the world, and results in general weirdness or outright dysfunction (i.e. full-blown Autism).

I generally don't tell people because they're likely to conclude that I'm mentally ******ed, which I am not. Einstein had Asperger's Syndrome, you know. And I hear he was a pretty smart dude.

I take xanax for anxiety, which I believe is connected to Asperger's (in my case). I take it as-needed, rather than regularly, so it's more of a last resort. Panic attacks suck. I had one a couple years ago, and it's the worst I've ever felt! I've found that transforming my transformers helps to calm me down sometimes.

Anywway, I prefer not to look at is as a problem. It just means I'm different. I wouldn't change it ever, cos it allows me to be good at some stuff that I probably couldn't do if I was "normal."

16. llamatron

llamatron OFFICIAL MMC REP TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Oh FFS it's not real. Autism is, Aspergers is just made up - a loose collection of symptoms thrown together that anyone on Earth could be diagnosed with. A product of our modern society where kids aren't allowed to feel bad and it's more important for someone to just chalk their problems up to a "syndrome" rather than working hard to overcome them like everyone else. Calling it pseudo-science is an insult to crackpots everywhere.

17. artoni

artoni Fangirl

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    *Chuckles*

Hey, whatever gets those psychs paid, ne?

18. decepticonjon

decepticonjon japness for balls

this. read it.

19. trump

trump WWBD?

I would rather have them attempting to fix people who feel like killing other people than kids that like the internet over getting out of the house and making friends.

20. artoni

artoni Fangirl

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ah, but think of the parents who want an excuse to give their kids to say IT'S OK, YOU HAVE A CONDITION.

AKA My Mom.

Kids -do- need to have a social life, but who's paying for those psych visits? I don't think kids in junior high can afford those.