So which movie toys are worth buying?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Kostya, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Kostya

Kostya Destron

News Credits:
    Title says it all. I never really bothered to collect the movie lines but I've decided that with most of the toys out there should be some general consensus on which ones are worth getting and which are crap(don't say all, I'll just ignore you).

I'd like to get one toy for every bot(as in scale as possible) if I can. The ones I really want though are Optimus, Bumblebee, Ironhide, Arcee, Sideswipe, and Mirage. So which toys are the best for them?

For the cons I'd like Megatron, Starscream, Soundwave, Shockwave, and Barricade. Which toys are the best for them and are there anymore toys that would be worth getting?

Any help on this matter is appreciated

2. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    Optimus - ROTF Buster Prime
    Bumblebe - Up to you, but most people would say Battle Blades
    Ironhide - Leader
    Arcee - Deluxe (Hey, I like that toy!)
    Sideswipe - ROTF Deluxe Wave 1
    Mirage - No movie Mirage yet.

Megatron - DOTM Voyager, or ROTF Leader if you're a scale nut.
    Starscream - HFTD Leader
    Shockwave - DOTM Voyager (for now, if a Leader comes out)
    Barricade - Human Alliance
    Soundwave - ROTF Deluxe is the only one so far that's out, but I'd get the Human Alliance.

3. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

Leader ironhide is wonderful, in my opinion.
    Voyager Megs is great.
    Voyager Shockwave is great.
    ROTF Prime is still the best one. That being said, I am having one of fun with the Ultimate Prime
    Deluxe Jolt is super fun

4. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Hasbrown'd

Optimus: ROTF/HFTD Leader-class.
    Bumblebee: Deluxe Battle Blades BB seems to be the winner among the fandom. Personally, I go with HA Bumblebee, but he's kind of big.
    Ironhide: I've always had a soft spot for the original 07 Voyager mold. The Premium-series version works, too.
    Arcee: Original 07 Deluxe mold. Accept no substitutes. The unicycle version(s) are crap, and this is coming from someone who likes them, design-wise.
    Sideswipe: Any Deluxe that tickles your fancy. I have the original, but many people swear by the Sidearm Sideswipe. The new one is all right, but lacks Swiper's signature paint job.
    Mirage: Still no toy for him.

Megatron: Personal taste. If you're going for scale, I'd wait to see if a DOTM Leader-class gets released.
    Starscream: Gotta go with ROTF/HFTD Leader-class. All the rest pale in comparison.
    Soundwave: I'd say wait until the HA and Deluxe molds hit. The ROTF one is pretty puny.
    Shockwave: Voyager is fine, unless you want to chance a Leader-class coming down the pike later.
    Barricade: Premium-series 07 Deluxe. No contest. Though the proper Frenzy to go with him would be the one that comes with HA Barricade, who is cool, but at the same time, appeals to particular tastes. Whatever 'Cade you get, make sure you get him in the same scale as your Bumblebee.

Though you didn't mention him, Ratchet would best serve you in the original 07 Voyager mold, regular or Premium paintjob. A lot of people love the Deluxe molds, but he's the one to get, in my opinion. Also, though he'd blow the scale of the rest of them out of the water, HA Jazz is the only movie-style Jazz anyone will ever need.

Deluxe Jolt (ROTF Version) is pure love.

5. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    Prime - ROTF Leader. HFTD Voyager and DOTM Fireburst are cool too.
    Arcee - Movie 07
    Sideswipe - DOTM is my personal favorite for play value, but for looks, they're all equally good.

Megatron - DOTM Voyager
    Shockwave - DOTM Voyager
    Barricade - DOTM Deluxe. The HA is cool too, but he'll be way out of scale with the other Decepticons

6. Ratchets Hatch

Ratchets Hatch Explosions?

News Credits:
    The DotM Voyager is really your only option for Shockwave. Mirage is not out yet and none of Arcee's movie toys do her justice in my opinion. All that aside, there are two good ways to get in-scale characters:

1. Leader/Human Alliance (this is the expensive route)

Leader Optimus (RotF)
    Leader Ironhide
    HA Bumblebee
    HA Sideswipe

Leader Megatron (RotF)
    Leader Starscream
    HA Barricade
    HA Soundwave

2. Leader/Voyager/Deluxe (this is what I do)

HftD Voyager Optimus
    HftD Deluxe Ironhide
    HftD Deluxe Bumblebee
    RotF Deluxe Sideswipe

DotM Voyager Megatron
    HftD Leader Starscream
    DotM Deluxe Barricade
    DotM Deluxe Soundwave

Note: there are various ways to tweak and/or combine these two setups. It all depends on what you want. However, the one's I've listed are generally considered to be the best incarnations of their respective characters.

7. Stryker055

Stryker055 Josh Boyfriend

Optimus: ROTF Leader: Most accurate and a fantastic toy.
    Bumblebee: HFTD Deluxe Battle Blades: Same as above.
    Ironhide: ROTF Voyager Recon: Not super-accurate, but really fun and comes with a bunch of weapons, which is perfect for Ironhide.
    Arcee: Movie 1 Deluxe: It's obviously not accurate to the movie, but it's a far superior toy.
    Sideswipe: If you love the blades, go with the original ROTF Deluxe. If you don't care, the Deluxe Sidearm is very good.
    Mirage: No toy yet, but the Deluxe should be the best.

Megatron: DOTM Voyager: It may not be in scale with Prime, but it's easily the most well-rounded Megatron figure yet, followed closely by the ROTF Voyager. If you really want scale, the Movie 1 Leader isn't too bad.
    Starscream: HFTD Leader: It's accurate and very good-looking. If you want him to be more in-scale with DOTM Megatron, the ROTF Voyager isn't bad, but the DOTM Deluxe is probably the best.
    Soundwave: Since we only have one, I can't say. The DOTM Deluxe looks to be the definitive version, though.
    Barricade: DOTM Deluxe: It's far more articulate and accurate than the Movie 1 Deluxe, and more in-scale with the HA.
    Shockwave: DOTM Voyager: Unless we get a Leader (don't count on it), this one's your only choice.

In addition, I would recommend ROTF Lockdown/HFTD Axor, Movie 1 Dropkick, DOTM Spacecase/HFTD Terradive, DOTM Comettor/ROTF Armorhide, ROTF Bludgeon, DOTM/ROTF Jolt, and DOTM Thundercracker. They're all great toys.

8. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Even the hateiest movie hater has to agree ROTF Leader Prime is awesome.

9. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    I might add some less important, but truly great figures (not including Scouts, but know that most movie scouts are super cool):

ROTF Brawn / repaint Fallback
    DOTM Crankcase
    HFTD Hailstorm
    HFTD Terradive / Space Case
    HFTD Tomahawk
    ROTF Thrust
    ROTF Mixmaster
    ROTF Longhaul / repaint Payload

There are obviously more but I own these and can definitely recommend them as outstanding.

10. doctajones428

doctajones428 Well-Known Member

ROTF Leader Prime
    DOTM Leader Ironhide
    HA Jazz
    HA Barricade
    HFTD Deluxe Battle Blade Bumblebee or DOTM Deluxe Bumblebee
    DOTM Voyager Shockwave

Just to name some

11. knyghtmare2021

knyghtmare2021 The Goddamn Knyghtmare

News Credits:
    ROTF Leader Prime. I only have the hasbro version, not lucky enough to own Buster Prime, but just the mold itself is phenomenal.
    HFTD BBBB. Easily the best Bee to be released thus far to scale (roughly) with the movie 1 toys
    HFTD Sidearm Sideswipe. Awesome mold. Yes, it does lack blades, but fixes any stability issues the ROTF Swipe has.
    TFTM Voyager Ironhide. Again this one scales nicely with most of the deluxe and Leader class bots.
    Ratchet: Can't really comment. I do have Voyager Rescue Ratchet, but I'm not terribly fond of the mold.
    HTFD Leader Starscream. Buy this mold. SERIOUSLY. Best represention of Movie Screamer.

12. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    You MUST buy any mold of the Leader Prime. Buster, ROTF, Jetwing ... it's a MUST!

[​IMG]

13. anotheran

anotheran Old skooler

I recommend this route cuz you can get all humans with the HA figures and the movie does revolve around the humans and just bring out the bots to fight.

Add HA skids for mikaela and HA mudflaps for agent simmons

14. cappeca

cappeca wtf is this?

That would be me :D  and yes, the toy is AWESOME! Followed closely by HFTD Battle Blades.

DOTM Deluxe Starscream is awesome too!

And Cyberverse!!! Cyberverse all the way!

15. urrutiap

urrutiap Well-Known Member

Best movie toys are the MechTech ones since they're the right size and they're cheaper.

16. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Even though he's not on your list, I highly recommend Movie 1 Leader Brawl. People seemingly forget how nice this toy really is.

17. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    battle blades optimus prime
    dotm shockwave
    dotm megatron
    ha jazz
    leader starscream
    battle blade bee
    any cyberverse.

18. Deadboy

Deadboy Well-Known Member

I'd say:

RotF:
    Leader Prime: As everyone is saying, this toy is phenomenal. Highly accurate, articulated and fun.
    HA Jazz: Many say he's one of the best Transformers ever. I don't know about that, but this is still a frickin' sweet toy.
    Bludgeon: Coulda been a Classics toy. Neat character, neat toy, huge swords that can be stowed away. What more can you ask?

HftD:
    Leader Starscream: Until the DotM Deluxe Screamer was released, this was the only movie Starscream toy worth owning.
    Battle Blades Prime: Nearly as good as the leader, just in the voyager size category. A nice toy.
    Battle Blades Bumblebee: All the fun of the HA Bee crammed into a more scale-erific deluxe package. Highly recommended.
    Sidearm Sideswipe: Best representation of Sideswipe by a long shot, even without the trademark blades. And dual-wielding TFs are cool.

DotM:
    Voyager Megatron: Good transformation, badass look in robot mode, and the first alt mode for movie Megs that actually looks like anything other than the toy all folded up. Best version of movie Megatron so far.
    Voyager Shockwave: The movie stylization doesn't detract from the classic Shockwave look and feel. The alt mode is a little lacking but its more than made up for by the robot mode.
    Deluxe Starscream/Thundercracker: Both modes look just as good as the leader Starscream, but it features a simple, fun transformation. Definitely a good pick up.

19. Ratchets Hatch

Ratchets Hatch Explosions?

News Credits:
    Very true. I regret not getting him when he was at retail.

20. Arkitect76

Arkitect76 Fanaticon

News Credits:
    I'm actually building my toy collection with the Leader Class and Human Alliance...although HA might be off scale...they look very nice next to leader class figures and the Human figures is an added bonus....Obviously not all figures are in these two classes, but for the ones that are missing, Id go with the voyager class...for example, right now...I'm missing Ratchet, but theres no HA for this one, but Ive heard the Voyager class and Leader OP are at same scale..so guess which one im getting...lol

BTW, is this true that voyager class Ratchet and LC OP are in the same scale? how does Voyager Ratchet compare to HA figures scale wise..