So which aspect of the IDW Transformer Comics bug you the most?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by kaijuguy19, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    That actually happened in Marvel's Civil War. The exact same scene was shown in two different comics with identical speech bubbles.

However in one, Iron Man was wearing his helmet. The other, he was not.

A minor slip-up but if readers can notice it, why couldn't the editors? And if it was an important plot point, which comic shows the true appearance of Iron Man in that scene?

And the artist who did the Bumblebee Mini-Series said he knew Bumblebee's appearance in the stories but he personally wanted to draw 1984 body Bumblebee and had the freedom to do so.

Which I believe is a professionally wrong attitude to have both from the artist and from IDW.

Bumblebee goes through constant redesigns but his Mini-Series stands out as being the most obviously wrong. I couldn't in good faith draw something I knew to be different from previous stories that had no reason for change in the story. Transformers' bodies aren't like us wearing different clothes from day to day.

2. mrgalvaprime

mrgalvaprime IDW2019 Stan

News Credits:
    Nuh i loved the redesigns. I love seeing characters with new forms

3. ZacWilliam

ZacWilliam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I actually don't have much to gripe about at IDW (other than the overall quallity of Costa's writing) but there's one plot point I really, really dislike and it's reducing all the Micromasters to bit-part Dead Universe non-cybertronian cannon fodder. That's a huge swath of TF characters done away with for one quick chase scene.

I'm hoping someone starts bringing them back in as actual real Transformers and we can all just ignore that the DU little monsters were based on their designs

-ZacWilliam, wants to see Tote, Fixit, and Powertrain get some airtime darn it.

4. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    I would treat the Micromasters as full sized characters in fiction who just happened to have tiny toys. The likes of Roadhandler and other cars would be the same size as Jazz and Prowl. "Micromasters" would not be a term used in my fiction.

5. Acteon

Acteon Overworked

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    For me it was the frustration of so many decent ideas being handled so badly. It was genuinely depressing, culminating with Heart of Darkness which completely took the piss.

The new ongoing has started well, but if they drop he ball again, I'm gone.

6. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I'd make them normal-sized Transformers that could deploy a mini-sized version of themselves that was like an offshoot of their spark. It'd be like packing a Legends version of a character with their Deluxe version, same robot design and alt mode, but the smaller one can also store away inside the larger one. Like Soundwave and his chest minions

I'm still wishing that there could've been cassette versions of G1 Soundwave and Blaster that could store away in their larger original toys. Minion tapes that look like tape decks on one side and cassettes on the other, almost triple-changers. (there's a 'Yo Dawg' thing here I know) Look at how the G1 Rumble and Frenzy toys transformed, almost the same way Soundwave and Blaster did, what with the legs up the side of the body thing. A bit of a remold while keeping that transformation scheme and they're done.

I can dream at least.

7. JJohnson

JJohnson Well-Known Member

Less to do with the comics, but I'm kind of sick of how a number of fanfics here are now of the "5 member squad with Prime, Ratchet, Bumblebee, Ironhide, Jazz, Arcee" type with Bumblebee having a broken voicebox. The last few shows have been small squad based, and TF:p  and the movies have had the broken voicebox. I'm kind of over that dynamic.

But as for gender, it'd not a problem to me that the robots have it, since they were designed to interact with organics with gender. My problem is the way IDW's Arcee was created. That was kind of violent and unnecessary.

8. JJohnson

Yes! The movie-inspired faces look disgusting and way too 'busy' (in artist lingo). G1-style faces would be much easier to draw, and look a lot better and more familiar to most fans.

9. JJohnson

I agree. I'm reading it now, and the art is kind of poor. Too stylized. I can do better with my right hand, and I'm left-handed.

10. AngryChad

AngryChad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The soft reboots don't transition into each other so well. They all have their good points though.

11. Maximo Prime

Maximo Prime Bassist of Ill Repute

Ebay:
    I snipped the rest of your quote fort brevity, but this is in response to the whole thing in general. definitely a case of chocolate and vanilla. what you described does not sound very gripping to me at all, and it also doesn't sound like it would really cover any new ground. if I wanted it to be like the old days, I'd read the old comics and watch the old show.

12. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    To me in my personal fiction, the only difference between male and female Transformers is personality. Arcee in G1 sounds like a girl, looks like a girl and acts like a girl. Therefore in Earth terminology, she is referred to as a girl.

There would be no physical difference in their genetic data. A male and a female Transformer is not required to produce new Transformers.

It would be accepted as a given thing and "why" a Transformer has a female personality would not be brought up.

13. mrgalvaprime

News Credits:
    Why do pepople continue to assume that girls have a feminine personality? Theres some girls i know who act like some guys i know.

14. mrgalvaprime

News Credits:
    Boo i loved the movie redesigns

15. bumbleb0t

bumbleb0t (o´ω`o)ノ i mainly lurk

ahh I could be wrong, but didn't Bumblebee get an upgrade after his mini series? I'm not sure if that would affect his alt mode or whatnot, but he seems taller and more robust so I'd presume that's the reason behind the change...? Sorry if that's not right or someone else has said this before (^^ゞ

Uhm but yeah, I found the Chaos storyline to be a little anticlimactic... it sort of fell flat on its face towards the end. I didn't like the change in artist either, although I do think that style is better suited to the Autocracy series they brought out.

Other than that, I don't have much of a problem with it...

16. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

Livio Ramondelli was a good fit for Chaos. The other artists were more suited to the earth bound stories. For example, I liked how the sweeps combiner monster was drawn in Chaos. When Casey Coller tried drawing it, he looked too flat to be a sum of hundreds of Sweeps.

17. DJW107PRIME

DJW107PRIME Autobot Hero

Ebay:
    No you're right Bee wanted a bigger better armored body because he thought it'd make him a better leader.

18. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

The movie-style redesigns of characters were TERRIBLE. Thankfully they seem to have been dropped, but god, they were awful.

I'd say my biggest qualm? The Dynobots. I freaking hate that name. It makes no sense and relies on SO much coincidence. It actually stretches my willing suspension of disbelief more than giant sentient robots ("Okay, so we are called the Dynobots. Now then, let us take new forms. I sure hope that in a few million years, the dominant lifeforms on the planet will have a name for these forms with homophone for 'dino' in it. That would be spiffy.")

19. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The Dynobots name was first used in the Dark Times (aka the Dreamwave era) so can't blame IDW for that one. Well, I suppose you can blame them for carrying it on! (though it was down to Furman).

20. Napalm

Napalm Drinking About Robots TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Right now?
    In 2012?
    Absolutely nothing.