So which aspect of the IDW Transformer Comics bug you the most?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by kaijuguy19, Nov 18, 2011.

1. dj_convoy II

dj_convoy II Remix!

News Credits:

No need to feel bad. You like what'cha like. I think we're talking more about people who hated the book but, y'know, bought it anyway. That's a very curious message to send to IDW.

2. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, if you like the book, then that's cool. Not dissing on you. But for those that absolutely hate the book and keep on buying it- you gotta' speak with your wallet. It's the only thing they understand.

3. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I just read Heart Of Darkness. That entire book was absolutely horrible. Add it to the list of things that bug me about IDW.

4. trence5

trence5 Well-Known Member

:confused:  hmmmmmm - now what would be a good example of some of things you're referring to?
    Like how Optimus looked like this:[​IMG][​IMG] in Blurr Spotlight but ORION PAX looked like this:[​IMG] in the books leading up to CHAOS:inquisiti :inquisiti ??

5. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The most recent books about the fight over Cybertron contain probably the worst art possible. Can barely tell what is going on. At some points, I have no idea. If the new reboots contain this art, I'm out.

BTW: IDW makes this big stink about renumbering the issue to the total # of issues that have been released (#125) but then they reboot the damn line again with 2 series. WTF. IDW really need to realize there isn't a bunch of people waiting to 'jump on' to the series. If you aren't into TF comics now, you most likely won't give a crap about them so IDW is just causing current fans to drop the series.

6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    The apparent lack of giving a shit.

7. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    It's a constant reminder that I should either visit the comic shop regularly or get out of comics.

I show up at the shop and there're three issues waiting for me. I start to read them because I like TransFormers and I struggle to finish them because they're boring and incomprehensible but, sadly, already paid for. Two months later, I show up at the shop and buy the three issues waiting for me, sometimes out of a sense of responsibility (the owner held them for me) but usually because I just forgot how bad the last three were.

Everybody else has covered most of my complaints. I just wish that IDW would find one writer, one artist, and one editor that are both reasonably competent and actually care about what they're doing. The G1 cartoon is a masterpiece in all respects compared to what IDW has churned out in the last four years. As much as I like the cartoon, having to make such a statement is an absolute travesty.

8. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Could anybody shed some light on why IDW has so many artists and writers on one title? I'm new to reading comics so I'm unsure if this has been done before, but I certainly wouldn't think so. Are they trying to be creative in hopes of driving sales? Most of the non-Transformers stuff I read that is good has one writer, one artist, etc. So what's the deal?

9. trence5

trence5 Well-Known Member

Did they ever explain what was it that Metroplex was dead on hiding before left that planet where Goldbug (yep - GOLDBUG apparently is a separate character from BumbleBee like Galvatron and Megs aren't "related" anymore[​IMG]) and Throttlebots found him yet?

10. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What's wrong with Goldbug and Bumblebee and Galvatron and Megatron not being "related" anymore? Criticise IDW all you want, but this was at least a refreshing and DIFFERENT take.

11. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    Different maybe, refreshing probably not. IDW has done a really poor job of developing characters, characterizations vary from title to title and some issues to issues :p 

12. SuperboyPrime

SuperboyPrime Well-Known Member

Not as far as I know. Hmm, maybe it was Alpha Trion? It's a possibility.

13. Greyley

Greyley Well-Known Member

Their choice in writers. Waiting forever to make Nick Roche and/or James Roberts main writers is unfathomable. These guys are terrific writers, know the characters back and forth, write excellent dialogue, don't decompress, and clearly CARE about the subject matter. So why did it take years to put them on an ongoing book? And as for Costa...I mean no disrespect to him personally, but why would an editor assign the flagship Transformer title to a guy who doesn't know anything about TFs and thinks writing for space robots is hard?

The decompression. IDW isn't alone in this in the comic world, but it's still disappointing to see it in TF comics. When a fan pays $4 for a 22 page comic, it's not too much to ask to get 22 pages of story. Not 9 pages padded out to 22.

The art. IDW's art started out fine way back when, and for a while they had some good artists and colorists. But lately the art has gone way downhill. I could deal with Don's movie-esque designs, but Bumblebee, Heart of Darkness and Chaos have all had art that ranged from odd to downright horrible. I can sort of see the appeal of trying different art styles, but the art has to be of good quality no matter what style it is. A lot of the recent IDW art hasn't been up to standard. Comics are 50% story and 50% art, so bad or confusing visuals take a lot away from the enjoyment.

Ditto. It's a mystery why they chose that artist for a TF book, and an even bigger mystery why they let the finished product go to press. If I were the editor, that first issue would have been sent back with "DO OVER" written on it in giant letters in permanent marker, release dates be damned.

14. dj_convoy II

dj_convoy II Remix!

News Credits:
    I honestly think some of the art issues were budgetary in nature. Especially HoD. They probably paid a lot for DnA to come in and the budget balance had to be redressed by giving someone who had no business drawing a book like that a shot. Purely conjecture on my part, of course... but not illogical conjecture by any means.

I said pretty much every thing you did in regards to the problems with the title to the former editor (in as respectful of a way as possible) on the IDW boards (particularly when Roberts was brought in as a "co" writer as opposed to being brought in as THE WRITER) and he simply said "we're making changes" or "we might not like the same things in a comic." Guess not- I like paying for a complete unit of entertainment that leaves me wanting more, doesn't talk down to me, doesn't insult me, doesn't waste my time and doesn't make the money I spent on previous entertainment a waste.

Hopefully that's what we're gonna get in a month-

15. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot You can, you up. No can, no BB.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Anything with those 3 kids.

16. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

Greyley sums up a lot of my feelings quite well. At least we're finally going to have Roche and Roberts on a regular book (MTMTE) at last and Furman will be doing a book I want him to do instead of movie stuff so the obnly one I'm not sure of at the moment is the RID book who seems to have at least one of the Heart of Darkness guys on it (the writer I think).

17. dj_convoy II

dj_convoy II Remix!

News Credits:
    No HoD AT ALL. DnA are no longer writing for Transformers, and I doubt the artist will be doing anything any time soon.

18. Mechafire

Mechafire Shadow Broker Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    The HoD crew was apparently going to be working on one of the new ongoings until plans changed.

We dodged a bullet big time, there. :lol 

19. PrimeOQZ

PrimeOQZ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm serious about this. What bugs me the most is the amount of money(I buy multiple covers and I loved the Andrew Wildman incentive covers) and the little payoff for story and now even more so have I felt this since Costa made his comments. I feel like my loyalty was taken advantage of. Just when I think it will improve, then we go another few issues of crap. Shame on me for continuing to buy. I need to sell my extra copies just because they are not anything I want to keep if I can get around to it.

I am looking forward to the new series, the writers and artists. I have not had this much anticipation for a series since the Dreamwave days. I don't think I will ever go away but I need to cut back. Especially with 3 series out if you include the furman series comming back. It's a short leash now because if the new one is bad, then I can always follow that one.

20. VaderPrime1

VaderPrime1 Prepare for termination!

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    The change in art is ridiculous. The art that they used with Chaos ruined it for me.