So Where's Chuck?

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Metal Soldier, Jul 16, 2006.

1. Metal Soldier

Metal Soldier The Robot

I didn't follow the post-HoM story for the X-Men for the most part so I don't know the whole fall-out. So, where is Xavier? What happened to him?

2. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    He's appearing monthly in Uncanny X-Men. He's lost his powers, but regained use of his legs. He's currently leading a small team to save the Shi'Ar Empire from the fairly insane former X-Man Vulcan.

3. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

Yea, Scott wanted to kick him out of the Institute for wiping his mind and screwing with them all on the "2nd" X-Men team. As said, he's in Uncanny now heading off into space on some 12 part adventure.

4. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    When arguing why they should kick him out did Scott say “Professor X is a jerk!”?

5. Switchblade

News Credits:
    No. Kitty has that trademarked.

6. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

about Vulcan (missed the entire series)...can his powers hurt Scott or Alex???

and Uncanny is: Chuck, Havok, Polaris, Marvel Girl, Nightcrawler, and Warpath

i'm guessing Chucks the leader

7. Wreckgar

I don't think Vulcan can hurt Cyclops. If he did at all I nDeadly Genesis, it was because he was merged with Darwin and Darwin's evolution power allowed Vulcan's power to "evolve" to hurt his brother.

And speaking of Chucks, what the hell happened to Chuck Austen? I know he gets a lot of hate but I liked his US War Machine and Action Comics runs. I heard he was doing some TokyoPop but can anyone clarify?

8. Switchblade

News Credits:
    He shouldn't be able to. His powers worked on Scott in Deadly Genesis, but it can be argued that Darwin's presence inside Vulcan might be what made that possible. We'll have to see what happens if Gabe and Alex throw down at some point in Uncanny.

And as far as Chuck Austen goes, last I heard he was writing some manga about a girl with big boobs who plays baseball. He said he was done with comic books, and quite honestly I couldn't be happier. Most of the bad stuff he did during his tenure is and/or has been undone, and the one good thing is still going (Juggernaut as a hero). So far Mike Carey has, in one issue, managed to excise much of the bad taste Austen and Milligan left in my mouth for Adjectiveless X-Men.

9. OmegaScourge

i liked Austen's stories (most of them)...but hated almost every one of Milligan's stories.

and i like Mike Carey...liked his Hulk title, his X-Men title seems to be heading in a good direction, and most likely will like him when he writes Wetworks.

10. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Juggernaut was my favorite X-Bad Guy, it bugs me that he’s good now.

11. OmegaScourge

i liked Jugg as a good guy (along with Emma and maybe Mystique)...i remember his days as part of the 2nd incarnation of the Exiles (Ultraverse title).

12. Wreckgar

Ah yes, Ultraverse. Where we had Spider-Prime.

And Austen's X-Men beats the crap out of Milligan's run. God, Milligan can be an excellent writer as shown in X-Force/X-Statix. But his Spiderman and X-Men just sucked so badly.

13. Switchblade

News Credits:
    Milligan's run is almost entirely forgettable, yes. Still, it had my favorite Apocalypse moment in years.

Pocky goes to the United Nations. "90% of mutants have lost their powers. I have a plague that would wipe out 90% of humanity. But I lost the cure so either kill off 90% of yourselves for me or I'll kill you all."

Classic.

14. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

Okay, so we know where Chuck is now. Was it ever said what happened to him after "House of M"?

15. Wreckgar

He disappeared. No one really knws where he went mut he came back adn had use of his legs and no powers.

16. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Er...sorry to ask this but I'm so out of the loop with the X-men but Scott has another brother, Vulcan? Who's that?!

17. Switchblade

News Credits:
    Gabriel Summers, aka Vulcan. He debuted in Deadly Genesis. It turns out that Scott and Alex's mom was pregnant when the Shi'Ar captured her. She died before giving birth, but the baby was pulled out of her still alive. He was raised to be a slave, but escaped on Earth and was found by Moira MacTaggert. He led the "1.5" team of X-Men that were killed on Krakoa. He was one of the only two survivors, and is currently flying through space on his way to exact revenge on the Shi'Ar. Professor X is leading a team to try and stop him.

18. OmegaScourge

forgot which writer, but one of them had a story about a possible 3rd Summers Brothers....with the plan that Adam-X was gonna be it....but when the writer got canned, so did this story.

then the rumors about if there was ever a 3rd Summer brother was going on forever (names include Adam-X, Gambit, and others.

then Deadly Genesis came out, and Vulcan came about.

19. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    The original "toy with the fans" came in X-Men #24 where Cyclops runs in to Mr.Sinister. They're talking and Sinister mentions "brothers" and Cyclops says, "Brothers?" and Sinister goes "Hmm?" and Cyclops goes "Brothers. Plural." and Sinister goes "Oh I meant that as in your brothers of mutantkind" ...

The fans went crazy with that and it was long-thought Gambit would be the 3rd brother.

20. Switchblade

News Credits:
    Fabian Nicieza, who originally tossed out the 3rd Summers brother teaser and who has a damn hard last name to spell, intended for it to be Adam X, who would've likely been the son of Katherine Summers and Shi'Ar emperor D'Ken.

Chris Claremont, in X-Men the End, revealed the 3rd Summers brother to be Gambit. This is outside of continuity, though (and was promptly removed as a possible future by House of M before it was even finished), so it doesn't really count.

So Gabe is now the official 3rd Summers bro. Honestly, I consider it to be as satisfying a conclusion to that plot thread as we were likely to get.