So where were you on 9/11?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Eric, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Omega Supreme V

Omega Supreme V The token Asian one

Seventh grade IIRC, about to play some air hockey in homeroom when my teacher, Mr. Larson turned on CNN and it showed the smoke coming from the first building......I also worked in the main office as a TA and parents were signing out their kids the whole time I was there...

I don't think I can forget that day...don't think it'd be possible...

2. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Has anyone else been in the Twin Towers?

Back in 97 or 98 I was in NY for part of my Architecture degree, and one night the whole group was to go up into the bar that was way up one of the towers. I remember most of us being under 21, and when asked how old we were, some stupidly answered 19. So half go in and half didn't.

Students eh?

The view from there was incredible, especially since it was at night. When I went to NY a few weeks ago for the first time since it was weird not seeing the Twin Towers in the skyline.

Edit

10 years between visits, and the city has changed a lot. One thing that struck me though on my second visit was in the Airport (Newark) the first thing I see is a giant banner saying 'Is the person next to you a Terrorist? Be vigilant! Report any unusual behavior!' Or something like that. It was quite jarring.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2008
  3. Shaba

Shaba Decepticon femme TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I was 19 and stationed at Keesler AFB near Biloxi, MS for my USAF technical training course (time between basic training and first duty station). I had just come in after morning PT and caught a glimpse of North tower burning (the TV was muted, though). Immediately, I thought it was another bomb. Then I overheard someone saying that an aircraft had hit the building. Okay, so a plane somehow lost control and hit North tower. I went on, not thinking too much about it and got ready to go to class.

After other students and I formation-marched over from the barracks to our school building, it was about 15 minutes later and I had pretty much put the situation out of mind. That changed after I heard a lady scream from one of the offices; I ran in, having no idea what was going on, until I saw the TV showing BOTH towers damaged.

This Was No Accident...they got us

We were then told to report to our classroom and remain there until further notice. The base then went into lockdown. No students were allowed to leave their classrooms unattended or to even use the phones (and we weren't allowed to have mobiles in class). So I sat there for what seemed to be an eternity...no TV in the classroom. We got updates from instructors as they came in every 15 min. or so.

The Pentagon's been hit

there's another hijacked plane heading towards DC

One of the Towers has collapsed

The other, as well

Yes, there were other bits of info that turned out to be false, but at the time, I believed everything that the instructors were telling me.

I had honestly thought that this was the End.

The rest of that day....that week, actually, was much of a blur to me. Once the instructors finally let us return to our barracks, it was a mad frenzy to call loved ones. I called my folks and told them that I was alright, but had no idea when I could come home (I had a week's scheduled leave later that month). First thing my Mother told me was that she did NOT want me on a commercial aircraft and I agreed.

I eneded up being stuck at Keesler for an extra week before shipping off to my next assignment. I had to cancel my leave and didn't get to come home until December (and I took the bus from FL to PA...which I will NEVER do again!). And, for about a month or so after the attacks, military bases were locked down...only ppl that had homes off-base could leave and us unfortunate ones that resided in the barracks were confined to the base. And, it was quite surreal to witness F-15s, armed with REAL weapons, taking off...combat style...over our own soil.

I'm not in the Air Force any more, but I'm glad I was able to serve the time that I did. I was able to witness the HUGE changes that the U.S. Armed Forces had taken as a result of the 9/11 attacks; I had gotten to see the before, and after.

4. aussiehippy

aussiehippy Au contraire, Blackadder.

Ebay:
    I was on a break from Uni at the time, and had woken up late and spent most of the morning watching telly in my room. On the BBC, the program I was watching finished and it went to breaking news saying that the WTC had been hit by a plane.

I then watched all day as the second plane hit and the towers collapsed.

After the second plane hit I texted all my friends to tell them what was going on, and bizarrely, most of them had no idea what the WTC was.

Dumbasses.

5. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

i still remember that day:

wake up to get ready for school, heading to the shower half awake, bro tells me that the towers has been hit, i just brush it off.

done with the shower, now fully awake, i go see what the commotion in the living room, i watch and like "the WTC got hit" i was so shocked.

head to school listening to the news, while walking across the empty mall (i parked at the beach and school is on the other side of the mall) thinking about what just happened.

at school, we dont really have class, all the TVs are set to different stations, people are trying to get in touch with loved ones...

went home to watch more news.

that following weekend was drill, i made sure the van (my dad's) was empty when i went in cause i didn't know what little thing would of gotten me in trouble.

6. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Moderator

News Credits:
    At work pulling some medical charts when I heard the events of 911. A few of my co-workers just stay together listening to the radio that morning.

7. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    I was home after school and we were celebrating my mom's birthday by lazing around, watching TV. I'll never forget it when the newschannels made an emergency broadcast about the attacks, and I was quite simply horrified at the images, even at such a young age. I was also extremely pissed off because so many innocent people had died because of the extremists and the actions of the US government (and the other major Western govermnents) that had led to it.

8. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    In Sept 2000, a buddy and I had a chance to visit Manhattan for the first time. I wanted to go visit WTC and Wall Street but our schedule got screwed up and we couldn't go to the WTC. I figured it was a "stationary sight" and would be around the next time I visited Manhattan so no worries. I was wrong.

9. alecgates15

alecgates15 DK is Triple Hitler

News Credits:
    I was in 2nd grade and was kept home from school that day.

I found out just the other day that my father was on the very same plane a week before :eek: 

10. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    2nd grade at school.

911 is what changed the world and not for the good reasons.

11. Sideways

Sideways Banned

OmegaScourge, are you in the military??

I ask because I'm seriously thinking of enlisting myself..

12. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

He was--actually, small world, we deployed with the same Brigade Combat Team.

I was also. Full time for a while, then did the Guard thing. Headed back Active when I graduate. I'll be happy to answer any questions you have, so feel free to PM me.

13. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We Exist, and We DON'T Want to Date You

News Credits:
    There are quite a few military and former military in the fandom. I did my active duty one wedge away from where the Pentagon was hit...fortunately left for the ANG 5 years before, tho, so I'm pretty sure no one I know was there.

--Moony

14. Grimlocka go-go

Grimlocka go-go Back from the Dead TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:

Funny thing, I'm an Army Recruiter now, was active for 4 years, so please feel free to ask me questions, I'll answer all I can.

I was in AIT on Ft. Bliss TX on sept 11 2001. I was actually in the chow hall, in line for breakfast when I heard the whole room just go nuts then silent. Looked up at the TV and saw the second plane hit.

15. Rod

Rod No Silly Robot User Name

I was stationed in Kuwait... it was in the afternoon...it was our day off... we didnt get many, so we where going to do this one up right. We hopped into our truck to head out to our compound, and the news started coming in across Armed Forces Radio, first details said a small plane had hit the WTC, so we paid it no mind. We got to the compound, and I go to check email, when our commander calls everyone to the break room... We get there just in time to see the second plane hit.

Im from New Jersey and I spent a lot of time in the city when I was a kid, and the "Twin Towers" always gave me a sense of awe. I had a personal connection with them. After they fell, like most Americans I could not understand what just happened, I couldnt wrap my head around the horror.

The base for the next 3 days or so was completely silent, no one wanted to talk about it. As if ignoring it would make it all go away. Some of us felt like we failed in our duties. We are swore to protect America, and here we were thousands of miles away while she was being attacked.

For details that I cannot go into, the hours following the attacks were some of the proudest of my entire life. I saw young men and women pick themselves up and stand proud, and resolute. Standing united, against a threat we did not yet understand. But standing united, for reasons we would never forget again.

16. flywheels

flywheels Decepticon Assault Team Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I was working for Lowe's at that time. I remember hearing on the sales floor about a plane crash, so the HR director set up a little TV in the break room which was crowded all afternoon. As soon as I got the chance I went back to see what the deal was and was shocked of course. Shortly after that the store manager started sending everyone home to be with their families.

17. Kixx.™

Kixx.™ Dancing 'round ze Maypole

Eight years old, confused in Elementary School.

18. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Drat, outsmarted by a Lorry, I am disgraced

I was in class during my freshman year of high school. As it so happened I wanted to watch TF:RID in the car on the way to school that day so I brought my portable TV with me. Class was well under way when we heard about the plane crash So I pulled out my tv to find out more details and the rest of the class kind of gathered around me.

19. Nightwind

Nightwind Aka Dusty Bottoms.

I was at work. I had just been promoted to a new position and it was my first day. I work in a satellite service call center and as a result we have TV's everywhere. I honestly don't watch TV that much or listen to the radio, so I hadn't heard anything about it until I came into work and saw images of the Twin Towers on fire. I'm not gonna lie, I was scared as hell because my younger brother was in the Army at the time and I was worried about him being shipped out.