So, where does More Than Meets The Eye 2 fit in?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Nightrain, May 26, 2006.

1. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    Or as everyone calls them, "classics". The problem with that name is, these aren't exact replicas of the original characters like the Masterpieces are. These are updates.

I want to know where they fit in. Are they simply the next evolution from Action Masters? Or do they represent a re-written story about crashing on Earth and awakening in 2006?

It's a little ambiguous about it. While Mr. Lombardo's statement lends clearly to the idea that this is supposed to introduce a new generation of children to these characters, there are a ton of references in the press release that leads one to believe they are the characters of 1984 updated. That travel back in time statement is especially telling. If you'll recall, the Robots in Disguise press release only eluded to bringing back the vehicle to robot concept. It had nothing specific to do with anything else.

My conclusion? I have no reason to believe these can't be the same actual characters. While Starscream, Megatron, and whoever were killed off, they were magically reborn in Action Masters. So that arguement is out of the window.

What do you think? Reboot or continuation?

*Please note I did not factor Generation 2 in this. I honestly have no idea what that was intended for as continuity goes.

2. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    We'll find out when the profiles surface.

3. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

As far as I'm concerned, it takes place after the attack on Autobot City. A lot of bots got damaged, but all sparks and personalty cores were intact, retrieved, and placed in upgraded bodies. I finaly have my chance to pretend that the movie and season 3 never happened.

*puts fingers in ears, and chants LALALA*

4. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

Think of classics like an Ultimate Transformers.For an example think of Ultimate Spiderman as compared to Marvel 616 Spiderman.It's the same yet different.

Honestly I don't think you should read too much into it.

I say just enjoy the toys for the excellent pieces they are :) 

5. Severus

Severus Curmudgeon TFW2005 Supporter

If I had to choose, I'd pick continuation, taking place in the 20 year gap between Season 2 and the movie, allowing for the maximum number of toys that people have an emotional attachment to.

As for looking different, I'll choose the Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz solution: all new mecha designs but everyone just pretends they always looked that way. Despite the fact that it would have changed major plot points.

You'll notice that I have no trouble doing so because my avatar contains a Deathyscythe from the show and from the OVA. :D 

6. Severus

Bah, sorry for the double-post.

7. Fretburn

Fretburn We need Instrument TFs

I don't think this meant to "fit in" to some point in the G1 storyline. Hasbro simply has the means and finally a market to redo the original characters. Classics Optimus prime is not an upgrade. This isn't his body after some glactic crisis that could concievably come after The Swarm.

This isn't a new Megatron body for a revived Megatron.

That isn't Starscream's body that Unicron granted him.

It's simply Hasbro updating old ideas with new tech. Don't read more into than there is.

8. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Where, how, and IF "Classics" fits into the story world depends mostly on what media accompanies the line, if any. I wouldn't expect a (new) cartoon, but some kind of comic either on the stands or in the boxes is not out of the realm of possibility. anything else is up to the fanbase, for better or worse.

Like Fretburn said, It's basically just new toys of old characters, and there's little point in examining it further. It's easy to enjoy the G2 toys, but I sure wouldn't want to try to integrate the multiple toys for Optimus, Megatron, Bumblebee, and others into any kind of coherent story.

9. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    I so wish Bodycount was still around to post. I'd really like to read his reaction to a line he claimed would never come out, because kids had no attachment to those characters. :D 

10. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I'm willing to bet the bios will be the original ones, perhaps tweaked for the modern audiences slightly. As for how they fit in - I like the "Endless Waltz" suggestion put forward by Severus. They just happen to be the old guys reimagined but for all intents and purposes they're the same guys.

11. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    What he said. It's what we would have had in 84 if they had the engineering they do now.

12. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

Oooo; a chance to mess with Continuity, me likey... Ok let's see; I think it goes...

Transformers
    Transformers Generation Two
    Transformers Machine Wars
    Transformers Robots in Disguise
    Transformers Armada
    Transformers Energon
    Transformers Alternators
    Transformers Cybertron
    Beast Wars Transformers
    Beast Machines Transformers Battle for the Spark
    Transformers Universe
    Transformers Classics

Heh, heh... In all seriousness though; I'd say it's just good clean toy fun with re-imagined updated representations of classic figures that we would have gotten if the engineering had existed back then.
    Think of it as Ultimate Transformers or maybe even Jetplagues Transformers Fanfics in a sense. :D 

13. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Yeah I agree...these are just rehashes of old characters I don't think it's meant to fit into the mythos like Takara tried to do with the BTs. But who knows, maybe we'll be surprised when the bios are released.

14. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    A nice North American animated cartoon would solve all of this, of course :D 

15. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Hecho en Argentina

News Credits:
    80's toys with a lot of articulation, details, etc.

16. DrSpengler

DrSpengler The Real Ghostbuster

Just make sure it's North American-written, too. :wink: 

17. Severus

Dude... talk about dream come true. They've got 20 years to work with before the movie! They could pick up at the end of Rebirth... Aww, man, that would rock. Heck, they've got Optimus for that, and they could even put that bastard Quintesson to work bringing back some of the old favorites if they wanted to. Rebuilt starscream, a story for how Galvatron got sane and wanted to be Megatron again....

Or even sort of an Ultimates G1, all retold, but telling some of the same basic stories.

I think my fanboy slip is showing. :D 

18. DrSpengler

DrSpengler The Real Ghostbuster

Well, he regained his sanity from the Matrix at the end of Return of Optimus Prime part 2 (or, at least, that's the theory since he was pretty sane in Rebirth and Headmasters).

But never-the-less, yes, a NORTH AMERICA WRITTEN cartoon focusing on the classics line would be magnificent. If it took place in the original G1 cartoon universe, well, that would be the icing on the cake.

19. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't think every series actually needs a story to go with it........this one however, to me will be G1 updated. Kinda like has already been said......what we woulda had in 84.

20. Pidgeot018

Pidgeot018 Pokécon

Of course to save money "North American" will mean Mexico or Central America.