so what's up with the new G1 DVD release?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Jetstorm, Dec 26, 2006.

1. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Wielder of the Keyblade

I got my copy of the new DVD of Transformers the Movie yesterday (yay! It's so much better than the one Rhino put out a few years ago!) and I saw the trailer for G1 on DVD. Are these going to be re-releases of the ones from Rhino?

If so I guess that's good for the ones that don't have them, but it kind of stinks for me because I had the feeling of "Wow cool I actually have something that's out-of-print and worth something!" (Y'know, kind of like how some people probably have their old G1 toys from when they were kids but were smart enough to take care of their toys ;)  )

So what's the story on these new DVDs?

2. Super_Megatron

Super_Megatron Twitter: @Super_Megatron Administrator

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Questions are not news.

3. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    I believe Sony now has the rights and I'd be surprised if they didn't issue these, especially with the movie presumably peaking interest.

It would be a new release, however, because Rhino does not have the licence

4. Jetstorm

My bad... I wasn't quite sure where to post it, but now that I think about it it's definitely not newsy nor is it rumory (that was n00bish of me lol)

5. chazparks

chazparks Well-Known Member

Weren't they going to fix some of the characters as well. I know sometimes one character is speaking but the character that is animated as speaking is a different character than the voice we hear.

6. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Some of that was on the original footage anyway. But yes, Rhino did use some footage which was apparently more flawed than what was available.

7. Samana Rombuca

Samana Rombuca Well-Known Member

Basically they weren't using the film that was shown on tv. They're cut was at times rougher, patchier and even incomplete. And their restoration - such that it was - didn't make things right either. But I'm not a G1 monger and the show is loopy enough that inconsistencies are not a new thing. I just want the rest of the seasons so that I can have the whole series! :D 

8. hockeygamer40

hockeygamer40 Autobot Hockey Player 40

News Credits:
    Would love to read a blow by blow account of some of the more flawed or changed scenes between the original cut and the Rhino DVDs. This could help me decide if I want to buy the new Sony set if they are closer to the original and fixed some of the more obvious issues (e.g., Ironhide transforming backwards to car instead of robot mode).

9. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I'd rather have the messed up version than a corrected version. Yeah it can be annoying, but it's part of G1's charm;) 

10. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

Link check his DVD reviews

:lol  :lol  QFT

Honestly if not for the anal retentivness of some of the fandom. I'd have never known that what Rhino wasn't the same g1 show I watched on TV ;) 

11. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    Yeah I guess I never really noticed the issues with the Rhino releases. Regardless I was happy to hear about this since I never finished getting season 2 and I think I am missing a volume of season 1.

12. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I always thought animation errors lent charm to G1. Besides, it's fun making theories, like Hound's overuse of his Hologram Projector. :wink: 

13. Jetstorm

I'm glad I have the original versions too, seeing the animation errors is always more fun. Although I would've preferred them to be in correct order.

For example towards the end of season two there was an episode with the Combaticons, then like the next episode was the one where they were built :tongue: 

I think Beast Wars had a situation like that too, I can't remember if they fixed it for the DVDs or not though. There was an episode with Sentinel already made, then a later episode was the one where they were MAKING Sentinel.