So what's to look forward for those that do not like the film anyway?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by PunkMaister, Apr 4, 2007.

1. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    thats what i said. amen brotha!

2. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If the movie tanks, it won't matter. The franchise will keep chugging along and, in probably less than a year, the vast majority of the general public will have forgotten it and the children (who are the target market) will have forgotten it...all the while the franchise keeps going with new toys, new cartoons and new concepts. If the movie tanks, the only discernible effect it's going to have, IMO, is that it will be used constantly as 'evidence' whenever someone starts a "nothing can ever be changed from the way it was in G1 ever" thread.

I think those who don't like the film might have cause for concern if the film does well, the accompanying toyline does well and if Classics haven't been selling well. That could prove to be the knock-out punch for a G1 revival in the near future.

3. PunkMaister

PunkMaister Well-Known Member

Well so far even now the classic toys still sell pretty well and people from all over the world line up just to by them for collection so I very much doubt G1 will ever go away anymore than the classic Superman first comics and so on...

But if the movie tanks it will mark the end of any hope of ever seeing a live action TF film that does the franchise any justice. That is my biggest fear...

I have even heard that Bumblebee whom in all incarnations was very talktive does not utter a single word in the movie and that just increases my fears about the movie even more...

Hasbro may not have all the franchise eggs in this basket but it does have all the eggs of a live action TF movie ever being produced again...

4. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I remain skeptical on that, given how poorly they're selling in these parts (and, while collectors may be buying them, are enough kids interested?). However, anecdotal evidence doesn't work as support for either side in this and Hasbro are the only ones with the sales figures. I'm hoping it's a topic that's illuminated at BotCon.

As for your main point though, I agree that G1 isn't going anywhere (although the analogy is somewhat flawed because, while Superman is still around, they aren't following the Golden Age continuity any more); it's always going to be around, particularly in more fan-centered niche markets like the comics, Titaniums, Alternators (if that ever starts up again), BotCon exclusives, Club stuff, etc. But if the movie does well, the movie toys do well and Classics falter, then the possibility of a main-line G1 revival is, IMO, slim-to-nonexistent.

5. Cruellock

Cruellock Disney Villain

I thought they were already working on the next cartoon series regardless of how well the movie does.

6. Autobot_X

Autobot_X Well-Known Member

ok, I'm a bit drunkish atm, so that I'm gonna blame this rant on that :p 

I really wish people would quit pulling the "real fan" card, it's just not right to assume that people that like the direction the movie is taking to not be "real fans". I wouldn't call myself a big transfan, since I haven't really followed transformers since I was a kid. I used to watch G1 and BW, but kinda lost interest in there somewhere.

I was only 4 when G1 originally came out, so I didn't start watching it until it was already a bit old. Sorry, I wasn't much of a TV watcher until I was about 6. I actually haven't seen any episodes past the trailer until recently when I bought the G1 shows on DVD so I could watch them again. The new movie got me interested in Transformers again, and is the reason that I bought the original series to watch. And so far, I'm liking everything I see in the new movie.... even the designs. But one I don't like is people claiming that if you like the new concept that bay's going with, that you're not a "true fan". And frankly, I'm sick of hearing it!

If u liked G1, great! If u like the new direction the movie is taking, great! It's all opinion... please quit giving each other sh!t for not liking the opinion of another. It really is pointless, because you're probably not going to change the other persons opinions anyway. But trying to tell people that they're not "true fans" of the show isn't right at all since Transformers has gone through several other changes through it's lifetime as it evolves which some might like and others not, but either way it's obviously been enough for it to stay alive for 20+ years!

If the only thing keeping the series alive was the people that are true to G1 and hate everything else, Transformers wouldn't be alive atm. I like to think of the movie as a new chapter to Transformers, and I'm liking the evolution so far, and I don't really care what the true fans think of me. Because if Transformers would still be exactly as they were 20 years ago, they probably wouldn't exist today!

Again, my apologies for the long post... Just couldn't stop myself once I started typing.

I blame the booze :drunk