So whats the justification behind the Constructicon drones?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Recall, Nov 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    So in ROTF the Constructicons are not just a handful of robots, they are very much an ill-defined subgroup but why?

To know that the film has a couple of robots called Rampage who are supposed to be different entities is just full on confusing.

What was there purpose? Did Hasbro want to change what Constructicons were? Why did Bay need an army of Constructicon drones and not just simply use the main 6/7 in the scenes?

The whole thing boggles my mind.

2. MrSoundwaveGuy

MrSoundwaveGuy I've made a huge mistake

News Credits:
    You guys are thinking WAY TOO much about this. Here's how it is: Devastator is fighting Skids and Mudflap and they purposely don't show the Constructicons as robots combining into Devastator because Hasbro asked they do so because they can't make a Devs figure with all three modes. So they have all these unused Constructicon CGI models they haven't used now, and they need some Cons to fight the other Autobots around the desert. Since they have all those unused robot mode models for the Constructicons they'll just use those

3. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    The comics and novels clearly state the drone thing hence the question.

Un-used CGI models? Someone clearly isn't thinking enough.

4. Defenestrator

Defenestrator Definitive Opinion

The two decepticon squads, the protoforms and the constructicons (including bonecrusher), descend from the sky, presumably launching from the nemesis, though F**k knows how they get back up there. The soldiers and tanks provide covering fire, although the only targets weak enough to succumb to the barrage are the energon-starved protoforms. The contructicons, tactical as ever, use their various abilities mercilessly, under the command of their leader, megatron. The plan is to keep the enemy at bay, while making the fallen's plan succeed. While the fallen is ancient and powerful, it seems megatron is the legend whose voice commands the sparks of the decepticon forces.

Ironhide matches his firepower with the massive military decepticons, while the younger protoforms resort to shoot-from-cover tactics.

The mixmaster, scrapper, longhaul and rampage and BONECRUSHER units are each culled, one by one. The one surviving demolishor unit has its place as part of devastator, now on the top of the pyramid, exposing the alien secret underneath. A moment of triumph gleams across their mangled collective mind, cut short by a beam from the horizon, breaking the bond and scattering the contructicons at the base of the pyramid. Most are beyond repair, some beyond even salvage.

5. MrSoundwaveGuy

News Credits:
    Thanks for the insult, by un-used CGI models I meant the Constructicon's individual robot modes since they didn't show those when they combined into Devastator. Since they didn't show the Constructicon's individual robot modes then, they decided to use them to fill out the Cons in the battle scene. Hasbro's not changing who the constructicons are, and Bay didn't need an army of Constructicons they just decided that "Hey instead of making a new Con to fight Bumblebee, which would take time and cost money, let's just use the CGI model of Rampage to save us some money." The whole, Constructicons are drones was just an excuse to this, even though us fans are really the only ones that noticed

6. Defenestrator

fan-theory of course, but makes the movie more watchable to me, in regards to "WTF two scrappers?" heck decepticons are the cybertron military, so it makes sense.

7. swampflight

swampflight Banned

Just like Star Wars figures....

And I'm not bashing Star Wars just to be clear,I think because there will be a figure of EVERY SINGLE TF EVER SHOWN in all the movies made and will be made,even if its only for 5 seconds,and you will go BANKRUPT trying to aquire the entire collection.

8. MrSoundwaveGuy

News Credits:
    ^ um....what?

9. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Trying to have a discussion in the movie forum is nigh on impossible.

I'll just say to myself a wizard did it, and be done with it.

10. swampflight

swampflight Banned

In different terms....

O.K.,you want a complete Devastator figure for your collection and to do that you not only have to buy the separate figures,but the larger combiner figure as well and what I'm seeing(just my opinion)is the same trend with Star Wars figures,if its on the screen,no matter for how short of a time,a figure will be made and will end up costing a small fortune for collectors who want a complete set.

11. swampflight

swampflight Banned

My BAD...

..my train of thought switched tracks....

12. Defenestrator

lol u completely deviated from OP's point

13. MrSoundwaveGuy

News Credits:
    This is why if ever have a question about the movie just use the Wizard excuse, or your end up with threads like these

14. Defenestrator

that wizard is such a loser. he should be more like me, so he can get all the women...

:'( im so lonely.

15. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The Constructicons appear to be characters that have total obedience to Megatron and higher rank Decepticons. They are the grunts who do the dirty work with no questions asked. Look at how they killed their comrade to harvest parts for Megatron, they did not even delay for one second.

Devastator's purpose was to free the Sun Harvester from the pyramid. So I guess they are the workers of the Cons.

I think the reason Bay and company went the route they did was so:

A) They did not have to explain how 7 robots become one to a general audience.
    B) Having multiples allowed more robots to be present in the final battle.

16. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Also, reusing CG models saves money from having to build and rig different CG models. Any explanation about drones and such was made after the movie via supplementary material.

17. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    I think I worded by question incorrectly. I wasn't after the practical reason, more the reasons why the story called upon having the Constructicons be portrayed in a different way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.