So whats television like in Japan?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by DaggersRage, Aug 15, 2008.

1. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

I've been curious about this sort of thing for a while. Heck, you could even rephrase the question to "Whats television like in <ANY COUNTRY>", but I first choose Japan sense I watch their cartoons. We get alot of anime imports that it gives me the impression that their anime is the majority of what they have on TV (probably not true, I dont know). Do they have shows like Saturday Night Live over there? Do they have channels similar to Discovery over there? Is their television broadcasting different from my regular American TV or similar?

2. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, I think I was exposed to it long enough to present a decent view of what it's like. :D 

First and foremost: at any given period, on some channel, there WILL be a program running at least partially focused on eating food.

Second and secondmost: All the wacky stuff you see on youtube is NOT easy to catch on TV, as it only really runs a couple times a week, often at really late hours.

Japanese programming also has some of the most shallow programs I've ever seen, like a 2 hour show all about adding bling (buringu) to EVERYTHING YOU OWN. Or the one where a group of TV celebrities all go buy something obscenely expensive, then spend an hour comparing their purchases in front of an eager and loudly interested studio audience. And that studio audience that's REALLY enthralled by whatever may be going on is on almost every show that isn't entirely fictional. :lol 

There are also some channels that do interesting things like air cheesy american action films with multiple audio streams, so you can choose the original english or the japanese dub. You can also choose to play BOTH streams at once, which is terrifying and hilarious.

Overall though, I found Japanese television fairly disappointing. I think it's mostly due to just how many shallow/materialistic programs there are -without- the balance of specialized channels like TLC/Discovery/A&E/etc providing a ready alternative.

Not to say it's AWFUL, just...when it's good it's good, but when it's not it's REALLY not. Almost no in-between that I could see. I honestly barely touched the television after a month, and went to torrents and youtube if I needed something to watch when I was chilling out in the evening.

tl;dr - No, it's not all like it looks on youtube. ;) 

I could also do up a post about the phenomena of TV celebrities there too, which also struck me as very different from North American television.

3. QuantumShock

QuantumShock Stay for brunch ?

News Credits:
    Dammit I do enjoy the human tetris in youtube though :( .

4. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

That's pretty informative Shinsektor thanks. :p 

5. NIDARAM12

NIDARAM12 Robot art guy

News Credits:
    So it sounds exactly like American tv.

6. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Well, I was only there for a week, but from what I could tell, it's mostly in Japanese.

7. Brawlastator

Brawlastator it is our life - jon bovi

News Credits:
    Shoen Jump Anime is the only thing on TV in Japan and all Japanese people like it, especially Naruto. At least, that's what the anime fans tell me. Disagreeing apparently makes you a racist.