So what'd you guys do for college?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DaggersRage, May 23, 2008.

1. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

Well, I just got my tax return back that I plan to save for college (and an Xbox 360 Elite), but I was just thinking about when I start going to back college to finish my 4 year degree.

Around mid June is when I go to UCF to start classes, it feels like a big leap from the community college I went to, and all this stuff is just coming across my mind. Like, how is my work schedule going to come into this, thank god my supervisors are awsome and want to work and help me with this, also what times am I going to use to study, hell, how do I even study better, will I also be able to save and pay for UCF while still make rent?

My supervisors brought the idea of me working part time, but I'll just loose all those insurance benefits, which will uber suck but I think I can manage without. A lot is going through my mind right now.

2. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

Im in College right now getting my degree in Civil Engineering. So my money will also go towards school.

3. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

I went to a technical school and got a degree in electronic engineering.

I still have not paid back my student loans.

4. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

Same as me cept I got a degree in Management of Technology.

5. Jeremy.B

Jeremy.B Formerly Leader Blackout TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Don't worry. Many times community colleges/smaller colleges will have a more difficult curriculum because they are trying to play with the big boys.

Don't stress over it, it will work itself out. You will definitely be ok if you focus on school.

Bachelors in Business Administration; Masters of Science, Management.

6. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    I've got my masters and have paid off my loans, granted I have to live with my parents for a year or more to save up money, but I paid off all my loans.

7. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Everything is Awesome

News Credits:
    Upon returning to school I started in my local community college and transfered to UCMO, a semi-local 4 year to finish my Bachelor's in English w/ Teaching Certificate for Secondary Education.

8. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    None Kolledge.

9. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    I went through college with grants so I have nothing to pay back. Which is good because I got a bachelors in psychology and that dont get you shit, unless you want to be a social worker like which then, still doesnt get you shit AND nobody cares about you

10. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

Work full time. Don't give that up. It is not hard to carry a 15 credit courseload of undergrad courses and work full time. Sure your life will be hard, but anything worth doing is hard. Night and weekend courses are your friend, especially if you have a full-time 9-5.

And pay as much as you can as you go. Full time school and work will probably save you a lot of money as you won't have time to do shit. Then you graduate you will have a better job, free time, more money and no debt.

Work your ass off in college so your adult career can be enjoyable. Lots of people enjoy college and then their adult career time is miserable as they can't make ends meet.

11. Jeremy.B

Jeremy.B Formerly Leader Blackout TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yeah, what kelsch said.

<---$54,000 in student loans....private university...

12. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    QFT. It is kinda sad some colleges don't tell you a psychology degree ain't worth the monopoly money in your closet. and you need a Master's to be the equivalent of a McDonald's fry cook and if you can stomach it, a Ph.D gets you a lot of options.
    know a girl who has 2 semesters left on her Master's in psychology and she's still working for low pay at a movie theater because no one will hire her with less than that Master's.

i warn ya to be careful as hell when it comes to working and college. i had started a job that was really easy and managed to have a work schedule that allowed me to work 3 nights a week and still have overtime. and soon, i got in over my head when co workers would call and ask me to take their shifts. oh, i was getting paid nicely... not to sleep and watch the grades plummet.
    but i was fortunate enough to have a friend and a boss that helped me get out of that cycle.

13. silentdarth

silentdarth Josie's Daddy

Ebay:
    College drop out with tons of loans.

14. Brandon

Brandon This is important work.

Ended up with a BA in English with a concentration in Broadcasting. The idea was to try and work in radio. But most stations that are in my area are looking for people with sales experience. It kind of feels like sometimes my degree ain't worth much where I'm living. Which is why I'm going to be moving soon probably.

15. Deceptikitty

Deceptikitty all about the hasubandos

Seeing everyone talking about loans on here is making me scared.

I only paid for one semester, and now I'm going on loans for the rest of it.

I'm getting (hopefully) a B.A. in Criminal Justice and Psychology with an emphasis on courts and law. Then on to my Masters in CJ! Delicious loans. :( 

16. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Bachelor's in "Liberal Studies w/ an emphasis on Psychology."

80% done with a Master's in Medical Sciences, which makes me a Physician Assistant.

Army paid for me just about all the way, and all I had to do was serve two tours!*

*Disclaimer: NOT RECOMMENDED.

17. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I went to a local junior college for my first two years. I tore that place up and my folks covered it.

Then I went to the University of Illinois to finish up where a lifetime of bonds were cashed in to cover the first year, and my folks covered the second. I left there with a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, the most expensive, useless piece of paper I own.

18. devastator831

devastator831 Mechanical Engineer

BS in applied science, Masters in Mechanical Engineering, working on PhD in Mechanical Engineering

I was fortunate enough to have my parents pay for my most of my undergraduate, which is why I made sure and worked my butt off to not waste my parents money. I paid for maybe 10% of my undergraduate education and only had to work part time(15-20 hrs per week).

My graduate education is paid for by my research assistantship, I do research and my schooling is paid and I get paid a stipend of about $16,000 a year, which is an awesome deal.

My wife on the other hand worked 40+ hours a week and took 17-20 hours of credit a semester(history education), which means the working full time can be done, but she used her free time wisely. I'm pretty sure she graduated with a 3.3'ish which is not to shabby considering the full time working.

About the insurance thing, some universities offer lower cost insurance policies (sometimes they are not that good though) through the university if you chose to go part time. Just a thought.

19. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    Bachelor of Arts, History from a four-year private liberal arts college.

Still paying off my Stafford loan seven and a half years later, with a year and a half to go.

Now working at another college, and every so often being gently chided by Human Resources for not getting an MBA, MEd in Organizational Management (MBA-lite), or MIS here.

20. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

Got my Bachelor in Business Administration and later a Master in Applied Computer Science.