So...What is this Fallout thingy?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by TreKain, Oct 3, 2008.

1. TreKain

TreKain Made of Sterner Stuff TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    OK, so I've never played any of the previous Fallout games, so excuse my ignorance. With all this coverage of Fallout 3 coming, I see the footage and shrug it off as another shooter that I don't care about. But listening to the talk, they say its an RPG??

Can anyone set me straight? What kind of game is this? Watching the footage of this game, it screams shooter. And I hate shooters...im not twitchy enough. But I love RPGs. Is this a mix? Any thoughts if this might not be a game for me?

2. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

with RPG being a lot of different things now...i think this is a Action "RPG"

3. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Oblivion + guns.

4. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

Yay, I get to talk about stuff! :D 

To start, Fallout is an RPG, each title of Fallout is an RPG (some less so than others.. moving on).

Fallout 1 & 2 where one hell of an RPG too. If you look around, maybe you find a package that comes with both for cheap.

Anyways, I'll talk about Fallout 3. The game is going for a bit of a hybred of an FPS and RPG. You character has an assortment of all these skills he can have, from medicine, pick pocking, electrons, diplomacy and then guns (small arms as its called). Oblivion + Guns is a good example. You build your character, assign his attributes and skills and go on an adventure. The interface is more action like, you run around and place cross hair on target, fire. I would say check out the videos on the offical webpage, but the designers displayed an uber character who could do anything. If your character is lousey with small arms (pistols and rifles as far as Fallout 1 & 2 labeled it) your character wont perform so good using them. I'm guessing that the recoil kicks like a mule and the "aiming" is unstable. You probably wont hit too good with the V.A.T.S system either.

VATS is a mechanic that allows you to specifically hit certain body parts on enemies. In Fallout 1 & 2 they didnt really have it be called VATS but the principle is similar, you could target specific parts your target's body. Hitting these parts would give you an advantage in combat, you could hit a guy's arms to disable them, thus allowing him shots to be poor. Also keep in mind that there's more than just bandits, monsters exist too, nasty ones, so shooting out their eyes would make them blind and miss.

Heh, in one gameplay video for Fallout 3, I saw the player sneak behind a guard, use his pick pocket skill to place a hand grenade into the Guard's "inventory". The player walked back, the guard paniced for a second and BOOM!

Combat breaks out in Fallout, sure, what RPG doesnt, diplomancy can be a factor as well. You can possibilty skip fighting by talking and saying the right things. There'll be a lot to do.

5. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is probably one of my most anticipated games this fall, right next to LBP and Resistance.

6. TreKain

News Credits:
    What I'm really trying to find out is if I really suck at FPSs, will I still enjoy Fallout? Probably the most "FPS"ish RPG I've played is Mass Effect. Is there any comparison to be made there?

7. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Fallout 2 is probably my favorite RPG for PC ever - the style and storyline were like nothing else.

I have no idea how the combat system works in this one, but I'll buy this day one, I probably won't even bother with reviews.

8. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

Thats going to be hard to tell. Mass Effect gave you an option to turn on an aim assist (I left that off for me :p  ). I dont know if Fallout 3 will feature that. Did Oblivion have anything like that when you used a bow & arrow? I dont think it did for the PC version.

Anyways, not every weapon in Fallout will be a firearm. In one of the gameplay demos, I saw the guy grab a power fist. He punched a guy and he exploded into gore.

Any part that you have trouble with on FPS? Like do you have issues putting the crosshair on your enemy to shoot? I'm guessing thats really the only skill required as far as it being an FPS is required.

Fallout 3's not going to be a straght up FPS. Thats just the perspective, and if you want, you can also go into 3rd person. I'll probably use 3rd person for travel, then switch to first person for shooting.

9. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nope, no assist that I could see on Oblivion, but a very generous difficulty Bar. Basically if you set the bar down to nothing, hardly anything can kill you, so you can at least get used to the game. Don't know if Fallout will carry this over.

I play a very ranged-based character on Oblivion, and after you level, you do get some aiming assistance in the game, but that's not the same thing.

10. Lasbrook

Lasbrook Well-Known Member

As far as i know you won't necessarily have to be good at FPS's as you can do the majority of combat via VATS which allows you to do called shots, informs you how much damage you'll do and then handles the combat from that point via a bloody bloody cinematic. Once you run out of AP use the VATS system you might have to rely on basic FPS skills until they recharge but i figure that'll be about it.

11. TreKain

News Credits:
    Yeah, the VATS sounds like the aim assist i'll be looking for.

I'm just hoping for a XBL Demo to try it out first.

12. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    This is one I am really looking forward to as well.

13. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

Fallout 3 looks alot like the System Shock 2. Ever played that, Trekain?

14. TreKain

News Credits:
    Nope...

15. Sideways

Sideways Banned

i preordered it and cant wait to get my hands on it.. i heard there's around 500 different endings..thats crazy.

16. Brandon

Brandon This is important work.

Very much looking forward to this alongside Fable 2 and Deadspace. Teddy Bear cannon FTW!

17. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    Glad I'm not the only one who saw that. Any game that lets you cave an enemy's skull in with a high-velocity teddy bear is an instant win in my book.

18. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Fable 2, Crap!! Another game I forgot about. This fall is going to suck for my Wallet. I think I'm going to go with Fallout first, because it's setting is something seldom done, while Fable is the usual fantasy setting, but damn, I'm definitely going to have to come back for that one.

19. QuantumShock

QuantumShock Stay for brunch ?

News Credits:
    Hope they can let you punch groins, even the rat, oh the wackiness !

20. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

I've just spent the last hour pouring with lament over the games I'm simply going to have to miss this winter :(