So...what happened to G1 Season 4?????

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by dragooner, Sep 23, 2008.

1. dragooner

dragooner Optimus' BFF

I'm sorry if this has been discussed in the past. But I was curious. Back in 1986, I can remember the Transformers series being cut from the TV in our area (Mooers, NY). So after 22 years I bought the complete series for my kids & I, and I was wondering....what ever happened with Season 4. Was the Transformers popularity dying at that point, or was it cut from broadcasts like it was in my area. I'm just thinking, 3 episodes isn't many.....:inquisiti :crazy: 

2. Prometheum5

Prometheum5 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No, the show got cancelled... the three episode Rebirth is the finale of the US show. In Japan, however, the series continued from where US Season 3 approximately leaves off... then you get into JP shows Headmasters, Masterforce, and Victory... then it switches to TV-Page comic-only Zone, Operation Combination, and then Battlestars: Return of Convoy (which might come before OC, but I can't remember). The JP cartoons are alot of fun, and worth finding subbed, or even the English-Malay dub, which isn't all bad.

3. dragooner

dragooner Optimus' BFF

Does the JP Headmaster series carry forward with the same characters, or are they all new??

4. TILALLR1

TILALLR1 'Til All Are One

Same characters. Takes place right after the return of Optimus. Therefore Optimus is leader of the Autobots.

Of course the origin of the headmasters and targetmasters are completely different. NO NEBULOUS.

5. guarddog8471

guarddog8471 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Season Three, while not all bad, ruined the show here in the US. Although it had a couple of good episodes, with all the animation mistakes, and a few bad storylines, the show went downhill.

6. dragooner

dragooner Optimus' BFF

I would have to agree wholeheartedly with this statement. The storylines did a lot of the damage for me....(but of course that's me watching it at 31 years old, instead of when I was 9)...

7. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Yes, because seasons 1 and 2 had no animation mistakes. : P

Headmasters and Masterforce, although they take place in the same transformers Universe, focus more on different characters than seasons 1-3, as they are trying to push the most current toys. So in Headmasters, this means the headmasters, sixshot, trypticon, soundblaster and twincast, etc, and in Masterforce, this means the Pretenders, Powermasters, and Headmaster Jr. line. Which isn't to say characters from the previous seasons don't make appearances.

8. solitudinal

solitudinal /B/anned

News Credits:
    QFT. I loved it and got a nice nostalgia rush everytime I saw a good ol' G1 character in Headmasters, like Astrotrain and Blitzwing, or Devastator and Menasor. They are mostly reduced to non-speaking roles, kinda like Jazz and Cliffjumper by the end of TFTM '86. Sad really, but at least you still see them on-screen.

I think the Headmasters series is a must-see. If you've seen G1 and not Headmasters, it's like playing Castlevania: Symphony of The Night without playing the Inverted Castle :lol 

9. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    And you had Perceptor and Wheeljack show up in Victory. :) 

10. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Starts off with the same characters, but after some episodes many of them are conveniently offed or just go away, and we're left wandering space with Fort Max and the Headmaster bunch. The last half of the series is a pretty different show than the first half. (a bit like US season 3 versus season 1-2)

11. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    I always wondered why Transformers ended so abruptly in the U.S. The reason I remained a G.I. Joe fan for years, is because G.I. Joe never really went away. It had a one year hiatus after the movie, then the Python Patrol mini and the new "DIC" animated series. And if Hasbro had decided in, say, 1990 to dub Transformers: Victory and show it after G.I. Joe on weekdays, I would have gotten right back into Transformers, and bought the toys all over again.

As loved as Transformers is in the U.S., after season 3 and the joke of a season 4, it just disappeared altogether until Beast Wars, and I'll never understand that. Sure, there were toys and comics, but to a dead show that was brushed under the rug. I don't know why the decision was made to simply kill Transformers on U.S. shores, did Hasbro think it was just a fad over here? It was the biggest thing in a kid's world for 3 years, and then...dead.

12. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    Masterforce is great...it has OVERLORD

13. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

That might have been a nice idea, but it also needs to be borne in mind that while the JP series technically carry on in storyline from Season 3, and the animation's more or less the same, in terms of writing style it's far, far different, simply because it's so... well, Japanese.

I'd still definitely recommend watching the subbed version (ignore anyone who says the English/Malay dub's not all bad - it's there for comedy purposes only :p ), but ditch any preconceived notions about it being essentially the same as the TF cartoons you used to watch.

14. Paladine

Paladine Well-Known Member

Agreed. I just finished watching the Takara series shows and I liked Masterforce the best, hands down. The plot was somewhat steady through the entire show, and they had some nice issues they dealt with.

Overlord kicks some serious ass.

15. Soundwave84

Soundwave84 Banned

News Credits:
    I have never seen the JP verisons should i just restart with Headmasters?

16. brianstowell

brianstowell Awesomebot

News Credits:
  17. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
  18. brianstowell

brianstowell Awesomebot

News Credits:
    especially for the £21.07 ($40ish) i just got it for! Woo! Thanks

19. ninety

ninety NERDS!!

News Credits:
    MASTAH-FORCE!!!

Every thread mentioning Masterforce needs at least one shout!

20. Xenon

Xenon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    When I first joined this forum (a few years back now) there was a rumour that there were actually a lot more episodes made for season 4 but they had been destroyed in a fire :)