So what exactly is a QC problem?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by chrisr291, Nov 21, 2011.

1. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just looking for some clarification on what exactly a QC problem is. I've seen people call everything from missing instructions to damaged body parts a QC issue.

Now, this is just my opinion so feel free to disagree. When I think QC, I think of MP Thundercracker's reversed boobs for lack of a better term and Henkei Thundercracker's insanely loose joints.

Next, when I look at V1 MP Rodimus, I'd say his issues are more of a design flaw. For instance, the popping panels, springs, and those little tabs that plug into Rodimus' legs in car mode aren't really QC to me. That is an engineering flaw:2c: 

As for missing parts (instructions, accessories, body parts, etc), wouldn't that be a packaging error? :sly2: 

So in review

I'd say a QC problem is something that is common to all figures sold. For instance, who owns a Masterpiece TC without the reverse boob problem?

MP09 V1 would be a design/engineering flaw. No quality control check can fix popping springs and panels once its gone into production.

Missing accessories would be a packaging error.

This probably sounds silly but it just confuses me when I read feedback threads that say, "Figure X is full of QC issues. It didn't come with a thumb, energon axe, etc etc"

Then people just run with it. "I wouldn't buy X figure, it's known to be missing thumbs".

Does that mean all thumbs are missing from this particular figure? Again, feel free to disagree and enlighten me if possible.

I guess I just don't like the idea of QC being all encompassing.

2. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Isn't qc pretty general, however? Its things that slip into the marketplace that should have been caught after assembly or packaging, etc. Bad paint job and missing parts being part of it.

3. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    It's more the reverse.

In the olden days before massive generalization of the terms, QC was specifically things that were done wrong in the production of the product as a singular mistake. For example, purchasing a figure that has two left hands is a QC issue. Not every figure has two left hands, you just happened to purchase one that has 2 left hands makes it a QC issue.

What they'd do is pull random product from a batch and test it, if it passes, then the likelyhood is that the entire batch is fine. That means one mistake could slip through the cracks.

If it's on all the figures, then it's an assembly error. If it's something that doesn't work even when correct, it's a design fault.

Well, it seems the TF Wiki itself has an article on it, and agrees. Quality control - Transformers Wiki

Nowadays we use blanket terms and everything seems to fall under the QC banner, just like repaint is used when people really mean redeco.

4. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Generally speaking, quality is defined by a product's compliance to its allowed or accepted specs. In other words, quality has to do with how consistent any given figure (including any parts or processes involved with completing the product & getting it to the consumer) is when compared to what it's supposed to be. This also leads into whether or not it meets customer demand.

For example, if a toy has 2 left feet, that's a quality problem because it's supposed to have 1 right & 1 left. So is a figure with botchy paint, missing parts, weak casting, parts that don't fit together well, or even something that's packaged in a less than intended way. I don't know what sort of control or assurance measures Hasbro & associated factories take, but consistency & fitness for use are 2 of the words/phrases to look for when looking into what "quality" is if you're not into memorizing a more proper & page long definition.

5. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Here's the simple answer:

QC Issues are everything that ever has or ever will go wrong with a toy's production.

Why? Because the vast majority of the fandom has no idea what QC really is. They just use it as an umbrella term for anything they deem to be incorrect about a toy. From a bent sword on ROTF Bludgeon to a design flaw in HA Sandstorm, everything's a QC issue because most people don't know which part of the production is dealt with by the Quality Control guys. That, and many problems fall into more than one category (the HA Sandstorm arm tabs are both a design flaw, in that they are the incorrect shape and will break regardless how careful you are, and also a QC issue in that they should have used higher quality plastic that could withstand being used for such a joint, which in itself could also be a problem on the designer's part), so it's hard to distinguish for most people.

Therefore, QC will likely be bandied about for as long as the FIBRIR/FIRRIB debate goes on, I.e. forever. Do I like it being used as an all-encompassing term? No, because I like to have a good laugh at designers who clearly made toys that just break of their own flawed design (Sandstorm, you flawed piece of crap), and I like to be able to say it's a design flaw, without people immediately saying "No, it's bad QC!", but it's not that big a deal to me.

6. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

I think BotCon toys are the ones that usually don't get enough quality control. They're among the most valuable Transformers ever made so almost everyone doesn't want their BotCon toys to have any problems at all. For example, my Thunderclash from BotCon 2 years ago has a opening in his chest, splitting apart his EG symbol.

7. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

I agree with much of what's been posted. People use the term way too much, like "repaint" when they mean "redeco," or whatever the hell a "remold" is supposed to be. To use it as an excuse for picking the runt of the litter.

However I wouldn't go so far as to say a QC issue is something done wrong during the production of all figures, but a large enough number to be substantial. In a production run of 100,000, say 5,000 were assembled with their shoulders switched. Hell, say 500. That's still 0.5% of all the figures produced with a flaw that should have been caught during production. That's what I think a QC issue is, something preventable during production that affects a significant number of figures.

And I don't mean piddly shit like paint apps being slightly off or loose ball joints. That's not a Quality issue. That's a one-off, you drew the short straw, situation.

Can anyone tell me what the hell a "remold" is?

8. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    I think when people use the phrase remold they mean the same as a retool? I suppose technically a remold should be when they use an old toy to make a new relacement mold of said toy, like they did with some of the original Star Wars figures for a giftset.

QC to me would be a figure being put together or painted significantly wrong, or had a part missing, but no-one noticed and it got packaged and sent out. I have a Classics Ramjet with two right arms which would fit that bill, as well as a 2010 Breakdown with a missing foot.
    A fault which is across an entire production run would I imagine be considered a design flaw.

9. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

... a retool.

10. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

I was being facetious about the "remold" thing.