Customs: So..what do you do with your customs?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by I AM MEGATRON, Sep 14, 2012.

1. I AM MEGATRON

I AM MEGATRON pleasure model

Just as the title says. For those customs you make, do you sell them all? Do you keep and display them? Do you trade them? What do you do with the customs you make?

2. Constructor

Constructor Witness my true form!

I keep my customs.
    I'd only sell my customs
    If I made them to be sold.

3. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I keep them.

4. Wikkid

Wikkid Semi-retired customizer

I sold all my customs and collection last year but never had prior to that.
    I still build but will be outsourcing all paint work in the future to bring on some gnarly ol collaborations. Everything is sold through a silent auction to the highest bidder as I could never hope to keep up with demand.

5. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

I can't imagine anyone buying the few customs I've made so far. LOL

I'd like to think I could make some worthy of selling, so we'll see. Depends. For the moment though, whatever I do make I make for my personal collection and display.

6. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

I doubt anyone would buy my stuff. I can build well, but the paint work is really annoying me. Still, if I could paint better than I can now, or if someone else painted something I built, I imagine they'd sell.

I'd like to see my customs sold, not really for the sake of my ego, but just to get a fraction of my money back to make more customs. Not trying to profit, just trying to lessen the financial cost of the next one.

So yeah, for now I keep them. Assuming I don't trash them or strip them down for a new build.

-------------------------------------------

Of course, my designs are a completely different story. They're designed sometimes for me, sometimes to be sold and sometimes just because they were too unique to not make into reality. They are always put up for sale unless I have a very good reason not to. I do keep copies for myself, so I suppose I both keep and sell them at the same time. Who said I couldn't have my cake and eat it? :lol 

7. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody!

Ebay:
    my weapons and accessories are generally made to sell or by request

but im not sure if my painting style (i try and make toys not customs) is that desireable

so my customs are generally for me

8. SG hailstorm

SG hailstorm JaAm aficionado

dito, if i were to ever sell a custom i'd make sure its a figure i'm not fond of so it'll no real loss to me

9. Algernon

Algernon Radicon Acolyte

News Credits:
    After the work I put into it I find it hard to let go of them. There's a couple I wouldn't mind selling but I'm too lazy to bother listing them.

10. Yaujta

Yaujta Broken. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I've sold, but never feel like I get back what I think I should. The same thing used to happen when I did Warhammer stuff, so it's kind of the nature of the beast.
    Now, I do commissions here and there, but for the most part I keep everything I do.

11. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

I keep the customs that I work on, the only exception being this one Ani. BB I repainted for a friend as his custom character, which was in return for giving me the initial junker figure that eventually became the origin for my username.

12. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    For the most part, when I set out to make a custom, it's filling some kind of gap in my own collection. That said, I create a custom, and then I display it upon completion.

13. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

They're mostly for me, but I've been taking on more commissions in the past year or so. I'd eventually like to produce auction fodder for eBay as well.

14. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    I play with mine! I only make them for myself and my kids, but I'd sell some if I wanted to get rid of them later on...

15. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Both, however they usually only get sold if I feel it's needed, otherwise they get placed on my shelf with everyone else.

16. TWINTURBO

TWINTURBO Mandiprime97's badass :)

I make mine for my collection. I have made a couple for friends but not for a commission. I enjoy doing it for fun.

17. twiztidRodimus

twiztidRodimus Shattered Glass Autobot

News Credits:
    I keep mine, 1) I'm not good enough to sell anyway and 2) I usually make my own custom characters to pad my decepticon side.

18. solarstorm

solarstorm Well-Known Member

Mostly for me.

I'm trying to sell a few right now - but that's because I either have a replacement figure (ie. I had no need for a PE Ratbat when I got the BTS Bat cassette) or because I made a second / better version of the custom (my deluxe Metalhawk vs my Voyager one).

I'm sure my Omega and Trypticon could net some ok $$$, but I can't imagine doing them over again. So I wouldn't have a new one if they sold.Plus, I know little about photography and take shitty pictures. The few things I want to sell aren't as marketable with my crappy tablet pictures or my camera with the oversaturating flash.

19. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    I did the same thing with my movie voyager Ratchet. When the Target exclusive repaint for DotM came out I tried putting mine on eBay. It didn't sell, though, so I never bought the repaint and instead have done further work to the original.

20. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    I have sold some, given some away, and kept some.

I also like to collect, when they appeal to my personal likings or tastes, other peoples customs too....(looking at you and that HA Hound)

A lot of you all are better at customizing than you give yourself credit for.