So, what do we think of Windows 8?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Bendimus Prime, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Bendimus Prime

Bendimus Prime Rolls for initiative TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    For those that don't know, Windows 8: Consumer Preview (a.k.a. Windows 8 Beta 2.0) came out yesterday as a free downloadable upgrade from Microsoft. You can get it from here: Windows 8 Consumer Preview.

They're going to market it as a brand new OS, but it's more a major upgrade/overhaul to Windows 7 just as Windows 98SE was to Windows 95.

The biggest change is the Metro UI, which replaces the Start button and all of it's functions with a new window similar to the Windows 7 Phones. It also adds XBL support, build-in Skydrive functionality, and a new Apps Store for digital purchases.

I've been running it for 24 hours now, and was wondering if anyone else has given it a try?

2. j3

j3 Kiefer is my Big Boss TFW2005 Supporter

Metro on a Desktop just seems off to me. There's some cool features to it, and I see what they're doing, but sometimes I find myself trying to do a swipe gesture with the mouse (since Metro is designed touchy feely) when they want me to use a scroll bar (since I'm using keyboard/mouse). The more you use it you get used to it of course.

Additionally, there's no easy way to close an app aside from Alt-F4?

3. Bendimus Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Move your mouse to the upper right hand corner, wait for the Metro program windows to pop up and right-click -> close to end a program.

I agree about the touch function. We can either hope companies like Logitech will come out with a gesture mouse similar to Apple's Magic Mouse, or that touch screen monitors come down in price.

4. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    From what I've seen (we had a copy here at work for a while), I really like it. I like the Windows phone look to it.

5. Tripredacus

Tripredacus K-Mart-ian Legend

News Credits:
    I had a problem with the Zen Pinball it comes with. It wouldn't let me enter in my initials, didn't save my high score then I couldn't figure out how to exit the app.

Other than that, I am glad they finally gave multimonitor supported task bar, but it clones the pinned shortcuts on both screens. In addition, it doesn't put Metro on both screens, if you click on the regular wallpaper, Metro closes. And getting that "Start Menu" thing to show up on the right side of Monitor 1 is strange.

I did notice that it does support verticle (stacking) of displays which is kinda cool.

I am out of working monitors at work so this is all I have to play with.
    [​IMG]

6. Bendimus Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    One thing that bugs me that that you can't sign in with different XBL accounts. I'm testing this on my work laptop, but my boss doesn't care what I try out as long as it's on my dime. So I decided to check out the XBox Live Games section last night.

It forced me to create a new XBL account which is linked to my work WinServer 2008R2 domain account. That's fine, I know they are trying to merge all user and LIVE (Windows, Hotmail, and XBL) into one thing. But, I can't log out of this new XBL account and log in as myself without creating a completely new User Account on the laptop.

So if a buddy wanted to log into really fast to show me something, I'd have to make an entire new Windows 8 User account for them? Poor form Microsoft.

7. Tripredacus

News Credits:
    Hmmm when I set it up I wasn't connected to the internet, so I made a local account only.

Also, the pinball game doesn't have multiball. LAME

8. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    I don't care about app shit or anything like that (and chances are I won't like anything mirroring phone screens at first), but at this point I'll try pretty much anything that gets me away from Windows Vista, so here's to this being the loophole I've been waiting for.

9. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    Looks ugly. No.

10. chaddi_90

chaddi_90 Prime

News Credits:
    Thats a perfect os for a tablet but for a pc i'm not so sure, but it's cool to have the option of being able to use the metro ui. I would consider buying a windows 8 tablet in the future when they get released. it would serve as a good school tablet unlike the ipad 2(My brother owns one), which I find to be useless when it comes to productivity.

11. thecollector

thecollector Fluffernutter Admirer

From what I've seen, it looks a lot like it's meant for a type of mobile platform or tablet, like others have said. I don't like the app gimick, just let me get to my desktop and do stuff from there. I think I'll be sticking with Windows 7 for now.

12. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    I was under the impression there would be a couple of editions of Win8 and not the usual Home/Pro/Ultimate thing either.

The one we've got is probably optimised for Tablets since that market is one MS wants desperately to tap into. To that effect, I've got it downloading now onto my TestBed computer:

AMD64 2.8Ghz
    2GB DDR400
    GTS450 GPU

that should hopefully be enough to take it for a test drive.

13. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

Waiting for them to install it on one of our lab Pcs at work

14. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    That loophole already exists, its called Windows 7 :p 

So far its been a pretty good ride, the only issue has been sluggishness but since I'm running it on a single core AMD64 CPU and only 2GB of DDR400 that's to be expected. I'm gonna throw World of Warcraft on it and see how that works.

So far the only stuff I've tested have been Firefox, Chrome and VLC player and so far so good.

15. Bendimus Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Which is exactly why I'm excited about Win8. In the last year or so, our executives have gotten iPad 2s for all of us in the IT department, and for every department head.

- From a home use standpoint, they are awesome. Surfing the web, playing games, watching HuluPlus is great.
    - From a business/IT perspective, it's the most useless thing I've ever used. VPN sucks on it, so all I pretty much can do is read and reply to emails.

The idea of one OS that I can install on a laptop, desktop, AND tablet (and maybe even a lite version for cell phones) that gives me access to actual work applications as well as Flash I would be all over. It doesn't hurt that the next Xbox will run on Windows 8 so I'm sure there will be some sharing between machines. If that means putting up with the Metro UI for that, I'm all for it.

16. TFW10

TFW10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thank you for the input, I've tried but, there are a few items that aren't compatible with, so, I'm going to skip it.

Thanks again

17. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    Well, Windows 8 Pro was released to MDSN/TechNet subscribers today. Running the full version now. Actually having to relearn and rethink what I do on Windows, which is a nice change from what we've gotten in the past. Can't wait to try this on a tablet.

18. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Okay, so I've used it several times on the test rig. Aside from the lack of a standard Start Button (seriously, WTF?), some irritating floating menus and keeping a clean Metro (which I'm sure I can figure out) its actually pretty solid. Very fast, lightweight and not very different to Win7.

So yeah, I'd like to get one of the tablets with this on it. As well as an Android tablet, just to learn how they work and see how they stack up.

19. Tripredacus

News Credits:
    If you have access to a Windows 7 PC, there is a way to get the old Explorer in Windows 8:
    Windows 7 explorer for Windows 8 - MSFN Forum

20. MaxLinden

MaxLinden Auto-Con

News Credits:
    Windows XP is still the best to me.