So, what are your thoughts on Net Neutrality?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Rodimus Prime, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

The FCC meets on Thursday to vote on the issue, so what do you guys think? Pros? Cons? I'm generally interested and I don't think it's really that political, so much as it's a tech issue.

2. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

I think that this would fall under the "political" rule. Completely lame and childlike IMO :rolleyes2 

But i think it is a good thing. Things could spiral out of control if an ISP decides what you get to do on "their networks". Suppose ISPs start to decide that they want to sell some sort of "broadband gaming" package separate to your internet service. They may sell it as being faster for gaming when in reality they simply throttled down whatever ports Xbox Live uses for all those who didnt buy the gaming package. I feel that especially with gaming in recent years, it has been proven that enough people are suckers for being nickle-and-dimed. Things that were once free add-ons to PC gamers such as map packs and skins have increasingly become a new way to gouge the consumer, especially on console markets. It would be a shame to see this kind of attitude extend to ISPs as well.

3. Transfotaku

Transfotaku Transformer Otaku

My answer is simple:

Net Neutrality MUST happen, and it must be universal.

There should be no censorship, no corporate greed screwing around with the net, no special interests influencing the net at all.

4. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    As long as people keep the political talk out of this thread, I see no reason to close it.

Personally, I think consumers will be worse off either way once a final decision is made. Neither main proposal will result in any incentive for the telecoms to expand their speeds. If the internet and cell providers are forced to keep their networks open to all traffic, then we will see more and more tiered speed and/or per GB pricing plans. Bills will likely go up while speeds remain the same, or get slower if you can't afford the speeds you get now.

If the telecoms are allowed to constrict their bandwidth, then we will see serious throttling of services. Video services will suffer the most, as will people who download a ton of stuff from the game console world. People who don't pay for the bandwidth will have their sites slowed or made inaccessible. Sites on opposing services will be rendered inaccessible as well.

5. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

Do... what? It's lame and childlike to want information and others' opinion on something?

That's where I'm at. I'm unsure which would be better, or if there would be a better option, and so I posted this in hopes of some newer, more experienced, perspectives.

6. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

I work for an ISP. I'm really interested in how it plays out. I think the internet should be completely open for everyone. If you pay for a certain level or speed, you should get that, no matter if you're just checking your email, or if you're downloading a torrent.

7. Darkravager

Darkravager Zombie Hunter

I honestly can't say that I know anything about the issue. Is it about internet usage/speed or about censorship?

8. TheIncredibleHulk

I think pretty much

9. TheIncredibleHulk

10. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    N B4 LOCK.

Your best bet is non-wikipedia research.
    Someone out there fucked up and actually posted real, non-biased facts about it and if, like the A-Team, you can find it, you can make up your mind.

Until i find it for myself, i am just overly spooked that something that has been working rather well on its own has suddenly become yet another "Must FIX" item when there are better tasks to attend to.

Kinda like calling a gardener to re-landscape the pool area when the shingles on the house are dotting the front yard.

I have no political stance on this topic until i read more for myself.

11. Omnus

Omnus needs more time TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    There may not be a lock. We've got the word right in the thread here that if we keep the politics out, it's fine (which also means keeping out all of the other forms of incivility as well, but I think it can be done).

I've been following the issue for a few years myself and the linked Wikipedia article is actually a pretty good start. It is lacking in certain respects, but you would get the same by trying to get informed on the issues involved from any one place.

Personally, I do not find it to be "working rather well on its own". My ISP has definitely implemented packet-shaping to slow down Bittorrent. Admittedly, most of what I download via BT is dark gray area (fansubbed animes for animes that haven't been licensed outside of Asia), but some of it is perfectly legal. My ISP doesn't know the difference between which ones are perfectly legal and which ones aren't, they all get slowed down the same.

I have no idea what other services my ISP is packet-shaping, as I don't have enough of a frame of reference to tell.

However, my broadband bill still costs the same, even though my service is being limited. I am getting less, but not paying less.

Corrective action does need to be imposed on that by someone with more power to do so than individual consumers (and corporations certainly won't be doing anything to help me or any other consumers out of this situation).

So how else does this get corrected?

There are also worse things that can happen to internet users without Net Neutrality rules in place. They haven't happened yet, but the history of corporations shows us that it will happen eventually, since these things all mean more money for these corporations.

Since ISPs have already started down the path of these practices, they're not going to be the ones to stop them. They're for-profit businesses, and as long as they can keep making money doing these things, they will.

So, who is going to keep the consumers from getting degraded services, if it isn't going to be the ISPs?

12. Gigatron_2005

No no no. The whole "no politikks" thing is lame. As somebody who is very interested in politics, has a family discusses issues regularly, and is a poli sci major; I find it really aggravating when people throw a hissy fit whenever something political comes up. In other words, I am very pro-this-thread. :) 

13. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Unfortunately experience has taught ud that only 2 members here are capable of rational political debate and that overall it brings nothing to the boards. There are plenty of places on the internet dedicated to discussing politics. This is not one of them and for that I'm rather grateful.

14. Gigatron_2005

But irrational debate is just so much more fun! :popcorn 

Also, another thought on Net neutrality: I feel that the whole throttling bit torrent thing is exactly the kind of thing that should make us worried. While BT has a reputation as being a tool for piracy, it also can be a great resource for those who want to distribute internet content, but cannot afford to foot a large bandwidth bill. So I basically see the throttling of bit torrent as something potently very harmful since it can put the breaks on those creative people who may be doing things such as making small independent films and distributing them online. Quite sad that that corporations seem unwilling to admit that BT has a perfectly legitimate use.

15. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I don't like the specifics of some things in the Net Neutrality package, but I think something has to be done to keep ISPs from increasing rates while hampering freedom and innovation.

Remember, many ISPs are also cable TV providers.
    They currently charge you for "packages" that charge you for things you don't want.
    Even if you pay $.02 a month for the Golf Channel, if you never watch it then that is money that you are forced to pay for something you don't want.

Broadband speeds are now enabling the entertainment market to have instant viewing of what you want, and only what you want.
    It will soon no longer matter when a program's "time slot" is, and even DVRs are going to be obsolete when one can stream a program whenever you want.

Some players in the industry are pushing for this, but some are scared to death of it.
    There are ISPs that are putting download caps, bandwidth throttling, and tiered pricing for no reason other than to retard the change.

16. TheIncredibleHulk

Yeah, but there's another side to that. I work for a cable company.

Alot of these networks charge a standard rate just for the cable company to carry it. They have to pay that rate no matter how many people subscribe. By grouping them into packages, they can split all the rates between each customer, so everybody can have that channel, instead of just a couple hundred that have to pay an outrageous amount just for 1 channel. A while back, Viacom was wanting more money from the cable companies for its networks, Comcast fought them to the last hours, because if the cable companies have to pay extra, then its got to come from somewhere...

17. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

I'm curious to know who those only two members are.

18. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

So who was the other guy besides me? It's been so long since N&P that I forgot.

Also: IT'S A SERIES OF TUBES!

19. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    I have that t-shirt!

20. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    After the horrendous experience i had with HughesNet, watching my bandwith wither from blazing fast for all of 8 minutes down to near 2600 baud (yeah, i am taking it back to the old skool) On close to a grand's worth of equipment and paying just for the net what i pay now for Cable and internet, I would love to have a short list of protections and gurantees regarding my Internet.

I DO NOT want Government interference other than the stressing of competition and Fair Market protocols.
    When The Swiss/Swedes/The Nordic folk (i fogot who, at the moment) are testing broadband that allows 4-6 GB in 2 minutes, i am hoping we here get companies clamoring to offer us that at rates that are almost cut-throat. Much like airlines or McDonald's.

Speaking for me (And trying to steer clear of politics) the only definition of Net Neutrality to me is that the government treats the Net like the Cops treat the streets.
    Police it, watch out for or catch the crooks, and for the other 98% of it that we use legally, for trade, fun, activism or communication, they let us do just that.

I am just worried that it will snowball from protecting us from corporate greed to a desperate institution tapping a virgin vein for untold sums of taxes and winding up as the entities we were seeking shelter from.
    Just saying it is a slippery slope to those who haven't grasped the complexity of this world within a world.
    Just turn off yer cable box and TRY to watch tv on rabbit ears these days.
    Our Net is just a pen stroke away from following suit.

Did I do okay? Delete my post if i didn't; i don't want to stop a thread that so many have done a great job discussing by forum rules.