So what are the opinions on the DOTM deluxes?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Recall, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    I've picked up Deluxe Starscream and Roadbuster though I've yet to open them. Are people generally pleased with the DOTM deluxes or is there some glaring fault everyone seems to dislike about them?

I only ask as it feels like there has been next to no discussion concerning this size class of DOTM toys.

Cheers.

2. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    The only faults people have is that they're like a centimeter smaller then past deluxes and of course the whole mechtech stuff, since it's the new gimmick.

Other then that, they're really nice. Starscream, Ratchet, Crankcase and Topspin are the stars of the lot so far with Bumblebee, Barricade, Sideswipe and Roadbuster coming in second. Jolt and Skids seem to be bringing up the rear, but then again they aren't talked about all that much for some reason.

3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    All the Deluxes I have are great. Ratchet is the best Ratchet ever, Starscream rocks, Crankcase is epic, and Bumblebee outshines the BB version for me.

I really want Sideswipe.

4. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    I saw Ratchet and passed over him for Roadbuster. Great to hear it's a great figure, as now I know what to look out for in the future.

Cheers for the info guys. Much appreciated :) 

5. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    Thundercracker and Roadbuster are really nice. Top Spin is too but he does have the Speedbreaker quality about him. Air Raid doesn't really count I suppose, but I love him :D 

6. Rockdown

Rockdown Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I was surprised about just how much I like Starscream and Thundercracker. I prefer the DOTM versions to the classics/henkei versions.

7. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    Madness! :lol 

I only have Starscream, and I like it. I'll probably pick up a Thundercracker if I see one.

8. Suchus Prime

Suchus Prime Well-Known Member

They're cool I guess but the size thing really is annoying but whatever just don't display them in vehicle mode.

9. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Sideswipe is rad, Skids is cool, Topspin is amazing, Roadbuster is okay, Mudflap could be better.

Biggest problem? WE NEED MOAR NAOW.

10. rapid_fire

rapid_fire TFW2005 Supporter

really cool figures :)  So far, I got Ratchet, Bumblebee, Barricade, and Top Spin. I saw sideswipe, but I think the grey plastic looks really cheap looking

11. Sideswipe91

Sideswipe91 Autobot warrior

Ebay:
    the DOTM sideswipe is so ugly. Why anyone would buy it when sidearm sideswipe is out there i dont know.

Really want topspin, not sure about roadbuster...hopefully they bring out a weaponized version of him

12. Rodimus Mike

Rodimus Mike I Drank What?

Ebay:
    Here is my two cents on the following figures.

Starscream is okay but woulda preferred him with a darker gray plastic.
    Jolt is crap on wheels as the side panels in bot mode stick out too far,vehicle mode is okay.
    Crankcase seems nice but haven't got him yet,I want the un-neutered version tho
    TRU Scanning Ironhide,this thing is awesome as crap,thinking of getting a second.
    Laserbeak is nice but those hideous bug-eyes are crap.
    Ratchet is pretty nice except had major loose joints when got him,but fixed now and great.
    Roadbuster is a middle man,he is cool but woulda liked him with weapons more.
    Topspin this thing is one of the 10 best deluxes,weapons out the hoo-ha,love this figure.
    Finally is Walmart Prime from pics and reviews I can't wait to get him,as he will be the 3rd deluxe to join my collection.

13. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    Crankcase is actually pretty cool, Skids kind of sucks, Topspin is alright, Roadbuster is pretty good, Comettor is pretty neat, and Barricade is rather adorable.

They aren't bad, but not as impressive as ROTF, I think.

14. Stryker055

Stryker055 Josh Boyfriend

Crankcase, Starscream/Thundercracker, and Roadbuster are very cool. Ratchet and Sideswipe, however, are very much meh.

15. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    I only have Crankcase (x3) and Barricade. I think they're both really cool, but the QC on them varies quite a bit

(all of the Crankcases have somewhat loose hips, but they can hold themselves up. 2 of them have trouble with their chest pegging together, one much worse than the other, and the 3rd is perfect. The 2 with uncut fingers have the fingers bent to some degree (though this is common for soft plastic... just look at Drift, Bludgeon, or Vector Prime's swords). Barricade's joints can be loose if you try to give him his mechtech weapon, but otherwise he's fine).

They all have fine articulation and are really nicely detailed. Great for display, certainly.

16. Soundwavedotm

Soundwavedotm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I live got all of them so far love the articulation and design plus the mech tech is really growing one me x

17. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Because it's a way better mould? Just needs some paint.

18. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    I only have Starscream and he's great, but I think I can safely say the engineering of both Deluxe class and Cyberverse have made big strides forward.

Though not without minor complaints :

Starscream's wingpanels do not sit flush. This issue apparently plagues Thundercracker as well.

Some of these Starscream's/Thundercracker's canopies can be a little loose in jetmode ; they go down droopy because the hinges can be a bit loose.

So, quality control is hit & miss...while yesteryear's Deluxe molds like Breakaway never had issues of such 'magnitude'.

19. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    They're all pretty cool to me too. My only problems are fairly minor and won't stop me from buying the few I don't have yet:

I wish the deluxe Mechtech weapons would lock (I don't mind the gimmick at all, just wish they'd lock since I like them extended)
    I wish they'd used Jolt's RotF screen deco on this version (the new deco is bland to me).
    I do wish Sideswipe had metallic silver paint instead of the plain grey plastic.
    Hunting for a Crankcase without clipped fingers hasn't been fun so far.

20. Ratchets Hatch

Ratchets Hatch Explosions?

News Credits:
    Maybe because this version is a convertible and doesn't have a Rebel Alliance symbol on his hood. :lol  But seriously, you're right. Sideswipe is easily the worst of the bunch.

As far as DotM Deluxes, I only have Ratchet and he rocks! :rock 

Great figure with a surprisingly fun transformation. I wish his wheel rims were painted, but that's my only gripe.