So uh...what happens when

Discussion in 'Transformers Video Game Discussion' started by boxerperson, May 18, 2010.

1. boxerperson

boxerperson a ringer...

this version of the franchise gets taken to earth for the next game, assuming it nets a sequel?

One of the things I like most about the movieverse is, like or hate the movies and their storytelling and robot designs, the characters turn into real cars that we can see on the road.

If this "reboot" gets saddled with another go-round of fake earth alt-modes, I'll be sorely disappointed. Will the design aesthetic translate well when they take earthen forms eventually? Our vehicles are quite a bit more sleek than anything on this version of Cybertron. It'll have to affect how the robot modes look.

Also....how would an earth-based game even work? Obviously you can't just fly around and blow everything up, the human response would be....um...violent. W4C seems to be extremely action heavy, with vehicle modes having nothing to do with disguise and everything to do with killing your opponents. On earth they're disguises. Autobots can blend into earthen cities, making direct attacks on them counterproductive as it brings two groups (humans and autobots) into the fight.

Yeah there's TONS of places on our planet where there's not very many (or any) humans....but those areas wouldn't work very well for many of the sportier autobots and their low-slung car forms. And they're all rather....outdoors. And strategically pointless.

So...would the sequel need to be a completely different genre of game? Stealth combat for example? The framework of W4C simply wouldn't work very well on earth...

2. shadowsfm

shadowsfm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i'm sick of earth. i honestly hope they go a different direction and treat us with another alien planet and species to protect or fight. i hope to see giant organic spiders and alien plants. something like the metriod prime sequels.

3. Tiller

Tiller I don't know nothin'

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    They should go to the planet of the apes after a great reformatting and have the great Optimus Primal war.

Duh.

4. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sounds good to me. Who says they have to go to Earth first? It isn't as if the Autobots planned to go to Earth. A metor shower and an attack determined their route.

5. Glass_of_water

Glass_of_water Well-Known Member

yeah who says it'll go to earth. in fact i think it'd be cooler to stay on cybertron and see what the ones left behind do.

6. silverbolt00

silverbolt00 Autobot

News Credits:
    While it's not definite they will go to earth for a sequel it's most likely since the devs keep telling us how close they're following the original G1 source with tweaks here and there to bring it up to date .... but who knows, if enough fans don't want 'Earth' i'm sure they'd take note.

7. sunbreaker

sunbreaker Well-Known Member

yeah id rather see more battles on cybertron and the moon bases. I like the transforming features of the planet.

If they do go to earth i hope its a futuristic style earth so they can keep their cybertronian modes, and maybe give the humans some updated transforming exo suits.

8. Taziir

Taziir Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It wouldn't really be much of a sequel if the developers just rehash the first game. As long as the story is compelling and gameplay mechanics are solid, the chosen setting wouldn't bother me. Then again, I didn't mind the Xen levels of Half Life either :p 

9. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I always thought the Cybertron setting was High Moon's subtle way of saying this isn't the previous disappointments you played before, but something new, something different. The drove that message home by giving everyone an all-new sculpt--for them this game needed to be visually different from anything that came before it, and for that I AM GRATEFUL!

I wouldn't be disappointed if they go to Earth, but if that is were the sequel takes it, I hope they clean up the episodic feel and take their time to develop the story. One game is NOT enough time to tell the Transformer's tale on Earth. Maybe three games--one for each season--maybe more.

But seriously, would anyone mind if they had a battle happen on a barren world or space before crashing on Earth? The G1 cartoon rushed things along in order to get them to Earth. Is it important for the sequel to do the same? As long as the story doesn't change core elements of G1, only adding little bits cohesive filler story here and there, I'd say it’s still G1. The original cartoons were so random, so episodic that they could have been told in random order with little or no consequence to the story itself, much like the reruns did.

10. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I could go with POST-G1 exploring space era, but honestly, I'll just wait and see. Even if they do earth, they might do something amazing with it, and not just a simple movie-type game with it.

11. boxerperson

boxerperson a ringer...

For me part of the draw of Transformers is the vehicles, because I'm a big gearhead....plus I'm in the Army so the military alt-modes are nice to see too. One only has to look at how big an outcry there was when the movie-bots were finally revealed to see that there's a great many fans who wanted their fave characters to turn into the modern versions of the vehicles they used to be (BB being a New Beetle, Sideswipe being a Murcielago/Gallardo, Prime being a flatnose, Starscream still being an F-15 etc).

I feel like, once the Transformers get to earth, something would be missing if they didn't do that...especially if it's supposed to be fan-centric. If the licencing is too much, alt-modes that mirror as closely as possible without inciting lawsuits would be fine too, sort of like what happened with many of the Classics toys, such as the Lambo-twins and Silverstreak/Prowl/Smokescreen.

I too would like to see continued Cybertron action after the first game....it's a setting that needs to be explored way more than it has been. Perhaps the story could be split in two, like it is in W4C, except instead of doing one campaign then the other, the missions could be intermixed. Show us what's happening on Cybertron as well as letting us play through the boarding of the Ark by the Decepticons, and further missions on earth. Maybe after the reformatting, the earth missions become much more stealthy/spy based, while back on Cybertron the war gets even worse because of the power vacuum left behind by Optimus/Megatron.

One thing I'd like to see is a fleshing out of the character creation aspect. Playing as the big names in the campaign in this one is cool, yes....but I would still like to be able to play as my own character.

I definitely do not want anything to do with more random planet hopping like what happened at the end of the G1 cartoon. That was horrible, poorly thought out and poorly executed. The battle should remain on Earth and Cybertron in my opinion. There should be more than enough creative landscapes between those two wildly different planets to keep things interesting. A pitstop on a massive asteroid for refueling, or a similar set-up to allow a mission on some alien terrain would be great, of course, but just say no to Nebulon.

Also...what about humans? Obviously the games are going to be about the Transformers, and I like that....but the matter of how helpless the humans are really influences the plot. Why even bother taking on disguises to blend in with humans if they can't hurt you?

12. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I still think WFC is the prequel to TF: Prime. If they were to make a sequel to WFC that's as good as WFC itself, set in TF: Prime, I would be find with it.

It would be interesting to see a prequel to WFC, but I'm not sure how far back they would go. Maybe they could even the sequel could be focusing on a different team of characters we don't know about while the main WFC events are going on, instead of Optimus, Megatron, Bumblebee, Starscream, etc.

Last edited: May 19, 2010
  13. warhokie

warhokie Well-Known Member

One big qustion on this is we don't know the exact cut off for the end of this game. If I recall it was said it ends with the choise being made to leave Cybertron... if they stopped short of showing the autobots bording the arc.. then the obvious sequal would the fight to get off the planet... Here is the rundown on my though

1st game ends with Prime declaring they will leave

2nd game starts with a plan to do so.. having to fight into con base to spring needed autobots for the trip that have been caputerd.. recovering parts needed for the arc to make the trip etc ...I see the last lvl being Bee and (I think it was)Wheeljack taking those last few supplies to the arc while under attack from seakers and soundwave (basicly the tie in to the way the G1 cartoon started)

3rd game (since getting a 2 usaly means 3 now days)... I like the idea of the trip from Cybertron to earth.. autobots.. with the cons hot on there tail... having to stop to find supplys here and there.. alien worlds... maybe thow a few little shouts to the aniaml based TF's... ending with them crashing on earth.

I totaly agree that they should not take this game to fighting on earth.. it doesn't fit the game play style... and with it being a 3rd person.. I really dont see a cover system working in cities (picture prime ducking behind and shooting over a house)

14. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I do, too. Probably because Hasbro has said so.

15. Leadfoot

Leadfoot The Strongest.

I'd be all for an earth based sequel. You don't have to saturate it with human interaction (since it seems that nearly all Transformers fans hate their own species with a raging passion), you could just weave it into the story as necessary and make it really G1. Use instances from the G1 cartoon to create the missions. Of course they'd have to spruce up the details, but that's what these guys at High Moon seem to do best.

It would be good to use real earth modes, like Alternators, instead of generic versions. I'd love to see Dodge Challengers and Chargers, Chevy Camaros, Mini Coopers, late model Jeeps, etc.

I find it disturbing that people can be so against human characters. Of course you want to see robots being developed as real characters... But so much of those robots characters have long been defined by their interactions with humans. It's what makes Optimus Optimus, and Megatron Megatron. It is central to the lore of the brand.

16. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    I don't. Wouldn't be the first time Hasbro reps have said things that weren't true, were contradicting other statements, or were so vague they were open for interpretation.

We've seen the movie-inspired Bumblebee render. We've heard from one of TFW's own newspersonnel that so far everything points to movie prequel for TF: Prime from what he has heard.

We need to wait for more info, but my guess is WFC and TF:p ime have nothing to do with each other.

Besides, if it's all part of the big new cartoon, then toys must already have been planned from the start (it's the only reason Hasbro makes TF toys in the end). WFC on the other hand was created by a developer under Activision, who owns the TF license. It was only after High Moon had pitched their new game and visuals that Hasbro decided it should have some toys.

To the OP: I wouldn't mind if they went to Earth after this. Would be fun to see what their Earth modes would look like in this style, and I bet they will be able to write a good story or reason to still bring the big guns..

17. Goatboy

Goatboy Well-Known Member

A sequel that shows what happened on Cybertron after the Ark left would be my choice. Take WW the Dark ages and mix it with the Marvel comics Cybertron redux arc.

18. Sorrow Six Star

Sorrow Six Star Close Countach

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Seems odd to me to be debating sequels at this point. I figure it will expand with character packs and maps till it can't anymore. If it comes to earth it is no longer WFC. What I mean is this is a VERY nice filler game to get them through till the game for movie 3.

19. Sorrow Six Star

Sorrow Six Star Close Countach

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Seems odd to me to be debating sequels at this point. I figure it will expand with character packs and maps till it can't anymore. If it comes to earth it is no longer WFC. What I mean is this is a VERY nice filler game to get them through till the game for movie 3.

20. Deadend

Deadend Overloaded Spark

News Credits:
    Earth could be interesting if handled right.

But that means full usage of landscapes, no more cheating like the movie games. And full on interaction with environments to scale to the bots. Besides, who doesn't want to assault the space bridge to go to cybertron and get to wheeljack's lab for a needed part to save prime? The landscapes can work pretty well to their advantage if they don't get lazy with it (again like the movie games were). For now, I'd just like to see them perfect the engine though. Once that's fine tuned including gameplay, the rest is just locations and new models, and additional aspects and transitions.

I'd be all up for Nebulon too, as well as the Fire in the Sky episode, or even that mayan temple episode. They have a lot to draw from and potentially use. Sadly though, they probably won't make a game that long. One can hope the levels would be highly diverse, open enough for sandbox exploration, but not overdone to get lost. Earth presents too many challenges that'd seem like the movie games all over again. It's just a matter of how they approach it. If this game turns out to be as awesome as it seems though, I'd like to see how they interpret the next chapter of the story, whether it's earth, or navigating the ark and nemesis as they fight in space, or on asteroids, or moons, or other things along the way that made them come to earth so 'accidentally'.

Besides, how awesome would it be to leave the ark mountain, to go try and find the space bridge that's randomly appearing in the world every so often, or anything else they manage to work in to maintain the feel of G1, but still be a fun, entertaining great game.